Eurodam Review: Baltic and North Seas (first of the season--May 22/June 3 sailings

Spinner2

Thanks, Kazu!

Canadarocks, Kristensand isn't a tender port any longer; thanks for reminding me--I should add that information to the blog. I know that's what the HAL itinerary says but they've built a new terminal just recently and it's an easy walk into town from where you'll dock. We walked in early in the morning; you can meander by the harbor, there's a nice park and keep an eye to the left for the spires of two big churches in town. That's a major street and it will take you right into the town square. Total walk time was less than 20 minutes and we did see, once we passed this restaurant that's right at the edge of the cruise terminal area and the city park, a tram set up to do a hop on-hop off thing if you prefer that to walking around.

The stores along the street where the big churches are didn't open until 10 am but once you have passed the churches, another block and to your left you'll see the open market square; lots of fresh produce being sold. Stores in this area opened at 9 am. We wandered up there a bit, took some photos and walked back via a street parallel to (and behind) the church street where I dropped into a shop called Morris and bought a great day bag/backpack for 35 euros. (I really needed something bigger than the tiny bag I'd been using; it was so cold and rainy when we were cruising that I needed to carry more variety with me for changeable weather every time we left the ship.)

Then we walked back to the ship; I don't think we were gone more than a couple of hours total. Maybe not even that. Plenty of time to rest up for the afternoon Lilisand trip.

I don't know what the weather will be like when you go, but when we were there the open top deck on the ferry to Lilisand was freezing once we were out in open water and most people came downstairs. You might want to leave a clothing item or two downstairs to mark a place to sit in case you're cold up top; the downstairs is warm but you'll be "forced" :) to smell the delicious odor of waffles they were cooking and selling if you sit down there!

Seriously consider Gehe's for lunch in Lilisand! Just ask someone to direct you. It's not far at all. Such good fresh sandwiches. Wonderful hot chocolate too. We paid with a credit card; don't know about currency requirements there.

Nah, Canadarocks, I think tendering days for Kristiansand are over. It's really a nice set-up; they're building an auditorium/opera house/theater/something-like-that:) right there next to the cruise terminal area and it's such an easy walk into town. It's a nice location.

Archived