UK flight or train to Southampton

cunardfanatic

I know there is quiet a few thread on this already but I was wondering which was best for getting to southampton either a flight there think its about an hour from my location or the train in on a 4 night cruise so luggage isn't a problem we would probably share a suitcase my only thoughts is taking my onboard alcohol allowance with the UK restrictions and i wouldn't like to put it in my suitcase to find i hadn't only washed with bold but given it an after touch of the sparkling stuff also how does champers cope at altitude don't want to bring an aircraft down with class. All opinions and advice welcome as you know from my other threads.

J

How many of you are going? I ask because I don't think you'll find a taxi much more expensive than going by train or flying. We’re off in August and it's cheaper, quicker and a lot more convenient for four of us to get a taxi from York to Southampton than it would be to take a train or fly. Remember that you have to include the cost and time involved in getting to the station or airport. I know that you won't have a lot of luggage but there will be no restriction on the amount you can take!

How many of you are going? I ask because I don't think you'll find a taxi much more expensive than going by train or flying. We’re off in August and it's cheaper, quicker and a lot more convenient for four of us to get a taxi from York to Southampton than it would be to take a train or fly. Remember that you have to include the cost and time involved in getting to the station or airport. I know that you won't have a lot of luggage but there will be no restriction on the amount you can take!

theres just two of us

I know there is quiet a few thread on this already but I was wondering which was best for getting to southampton either a flight there think its about an hour from my location or the train in on a 4 night cruise so luggage isn't a problem we would probably share a suitcase my only thoughts is taking my onboard alcohol allowance with the UK restrictions and i wouldn't like to put it in my suitcase to find i hadn't only washed with bold but given it an after touch of the sparkling stuff also how does champers cope at altitude don't want to bring an aircraft down with class. All opinions and advice welcome as you know from my other threads.

J

Champagne bottles are notoriously hard to break. The old trout that named the QV didn't manage to break hers, so you'll be fine if you decide yo fill your cases full of fizz. There is no restriction on the amount that you can bring on board within reason.

I'm guessing that your car journey would take about 3 hours, which is probably about the same time as a flight if you add all the messing about time to and from the airport, then it's just under £20 from the airport to the pier. You will also have to add the cost of parking.

We've travelled just about every way possible from Glasgow, plane, train (direct), train with overnight stay in London, car, and in a couple of weeks we doing it by overnight sleeper to Euston followed by a people carrier to Soton.

When we go home, and because they've changed the flight times, going into London and getting the fast train north is the quickest for us and much more civilised than flying.

In summary, there's no best method, it's a personal choice.

Have a good one!

Stewart

£37.00 one way each.

That's £148.00. Add to that Another £30.00 (ish - I don't know where the OP lives in Derby) for taxis in Derby and Southampton and you'll be within £100 of the cost of a taxi. :)

That's £148.00. Add to that Another £30.00 (ish - I don't know where the OP lives in Derby) for taxis in Derby and Southampton and you'll be within £100 of the cost of a taxi. :)

Agreed. The car is a no brainer. Straight down the M1 to 15A then via A43/34 to Southampton. Three and a half hours tops. In my view you would have to be certified to fly such a short distance. Others may not hate flying as much as I do however.

WD

Agreed. The car is a no brainer. Straight down the M1 to 15A then via A43/34 to Southampton. Three and a half hours tops. In my view you would have to be certified to fly such a short distance. Others may not hate flying as much as I do however.

WD

im terrified of flying but when I HAVE to to it I will but looking at various companies the taxi / car option seems cheaper

Archived