Family Ocean View Guarantee

mandream

I don't typically like to book Guarantee cabins as I prefer to choose my exact room - but I have an opportunity to book a FOV GTY on Millenium. Never had an FOV before, and have heard good things - should I go for it? Are there any "bad" FOV rooms I should worry about?

Also, is the TV in the sitting area or the bed area. If the sitting area, are you able to see it from the bed, given there is a partition dividing the two areas?

TIA,

Mike

With the new categorization of CC being higher than FV, I'd never book an FV gty. I love the FV cabins but you're very likely to get "upgraded" to a C3 which is a severe downgrade IMO.

I still have no idea how they can justify a 194 sq foot cabin with ~70 sq foot veranda to be an upgrade from a 250 sq foot cabin with a veranda that's the same size as the cabin!

We did book an FV gty in 2008 on Constellation when the only cabins higher than FV were suites and we were lucky enough to be given a corner FV. We loved it. There are TWO tv's- one in each room.

I agree with Susie; with an FV guarantee you are probably far more likely to end up with a C3 than a FV. If a C3 far forward or far aft is a good deal for the price of the GTY, than go for it - if you'd be disappointed in a C3 in a bad location for the price than do not pull the trigger.

Thanks for the information - I hadn't really considered the fact that we could be upgraded to a C3.

I probably would have pulled the trigger anyway. The FOV GTY rate was a fair bit less than the C3 rate, so while I might not otherwise have chosen C3 - it would not have been a bad deal. Plus, there was the chance that we would actually get the FOV, which would have made the gamble worthwhile.

As it turns out - I can't book it because the dates conflict with a commitment I wasn't aware of until now.

Appreciate the input - will be useful information for the future!

Mike

Can you book the FV guarantee and make a "no upgrade" request?

You can make the request, but I would not count on it being honored. With a GTY the cruise line can assign you to any stateroom of their choosing in that category or higher.

I've booked FOV GTY three times. Each time I watched the web site every day, and when a specific FOV cabin became available, My TA was able to switch the guarantee to the numbered cabin. All three times it was a desirable corner cabin!

There is only one small hitch to having the FOV. When one person is sitting at the desk/vanity, another person has difficulty squeezing by to get to the balcony or the bathroom. Other than that, the FOVs are the greatest things going for room and size of balcony.

We don't watch tv on cruises, but I did note two tvs, one in each room.

In all three cases, the FOV became available when school was in session. One 12 night cruise around the Horn in late November, one 12 night cruise to the Caribbean in February, and one 7 night cruise to the Caribbean in February.

Archived