first time cruiser, lots of questions

noobie

Noobie, I think you have the wrong impression of cruises. :) You can really do as little or as much as you want. My parents (in their mid-40s) are a lot like you (though they do drink, like to meet people, and aren't picky eaters ;) ) and they adore cruises. If you don't like dancing and clubbing, don't go to the clubs. If you don't like drinking, don't drink. Its not like those things make a cruise. Choose a cruiseline that is a little more your pace, like Princess, and perhaps you should avoid a Caribbean itinerary because a lot of partiers choose those, though you will still find plenty of people like yourself on those itineraries.

Also, be openminded. I am not suggesting you violate your consciences in any way, but you can enjoy the music and atmosphere at the piano bar or in a lounge without drinking or smoking, and if you make friendly conversation with those at your dinner table or next to you at the pool, you may find you'll enjoy your cruise more than if you are holed up in your room, even if meeting people wasn't what you were intending to do.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think the secret to finding activities you will enjoy is to do some research and don't just look at what excursions/info the cruise line has to offer. Just google the destinations you are going to, maybe put in some of your hobbies/interests (like architecture, history, find dining, art, etc..) and see what comes up. I have done a ton of research on the ports I've visited because I don't want to do the typical touristy things. If you like to travel just to see different parts of the world, as I do, I'm sure you can find some things at each port that will interest you. And most ports have some tour agency that is willing to do "custom tours" so I'm sure you can make arrangements for pick up, drop off, etc if mobility is a problem.

I'm too lazy to read the replies, but from the list you gave, I'm like you guys. I recommend that you two definately watch all of the after-dinner shows and comedy shows, they're really fun.

As well, you can sit, listen and have some fun at the karaoke, which, on some ships, is every night (pretty late).

Those two are never smokey (can you even smoke in the big theatres?), so you don't have to worry about that.

Enjoy!

thanks to everyone, glad to see there are others like us.

did i mention i don't like seafood, chinese, and don't really care for steak. i have read elsewhere what all people love to eat and they nearly always mention the stuff i just listed. can you confirm for me that there is something for me? and as far as the dresscode goes for the evening meal, can i get away with khakis and dress shirt (no tie)? that is as dressy as my wardrobe gets. that's what i wear to church and that's the most formal place i go.

so let me adjust my list:

we are a heterosexual couple

we are married

we are not swingers

we have one child who will not be on the cruise

we do not drink alcoholic beverages of any kind

we do not smoke

we do not dance

we are not looking to meet people

we do not "go clubbing"

we do not eat chinese or any seafood, and don't like steak

we do not own dressy clothes

now that i look at it, what DO we do? we must be the most boring people on earth! we seem to have fun most of the time and lead an enjoyable life, but i don't know how we do it.:)

Are you sure you aren't trrying to talk yourseelf out of a cruise?

Michael

we are a heterosexual couple Same

we are married Same

we are not swingers Same

we have one child who will not be on the cruise 2 Beagles

we do not drink alcoholic beverages of any kind Wendy doesnt drink

we do not smoke Same

we do not dance Only in the Shower

we are not looking to meet people Same

we do not "go clubbing" Same

We go to relax and enjoy the awesome food we would normally never see here at home, to be pampered and to travel and check out new places. Give it a try Im sure you will love it. By the way, Whats your age Group?

we do not eat chinese or any seafood, and don't like steak

we do not own dressy clothes

I havent found anyone that doesnt like Chinese mmmm, I want some now!!:eek:

There is always a Pasta or Chicken dinner listed in the Menu every night.

There is a large selection of food up on Lido deck Buffet style, including Pizza on most ships.

I havent found anyone that doesnt like Chinese mmmm, I want some now!!:eek:

There is always a Pasta or Chicken dinner listed in the Menu every night.

There is a large selection of food up on Lido deck Buffet style, including Pizza on most ships.

Lots of vegetarian apetizers/entrees to choose from as well :D

Archived