Bummed - my excursion in St. Thomas/The Baths was cancelled by Carnival

tammi0916

Just sharing....I had booked The Baths excursion in St. Thomas for our upcoming cruise and when I logged into my account on Carnival tonight I didn't see it so I called and was told it was cancelled by "administration" and they couldn't tell me why....so I posted on John Heald's site hoping to find out more info and this was his response:

John Heald This was cancelled just yesterday, and the email notifications are pending to go out today. Per the beards there were just too many complaints, especially in regards to timing issues and the required travel time to get there and back. So sorry you found out like this and you will get the email soon. Cheers Tammi

I will find something else to do but was really looking forward to doing this but will not do it on our own as it is too far away and too risky getting back on time....

Tam:(

This happened to me last year with an excursion I had booked for St.Kitts, I happened to be checking my bank account online and noticed a refund from carnival for an excursion.

I had to go to my booking to find which one, never got an email from Carnival, I booked all my excursions in advance so I would not have to do it when I got on the ship.

I did end up booking the Scenic Train and did this with a couple of CC members who I had met on roll call.

Just sharing....I had booked The Baths excursion in St. Thomas for our upcoming cruise and when I logged into my account on Carnival tonight I didn't see it so I called and was told it was cancelled by "administration" and they couldn't tell me why....so I posted on John Heald's site hoping to find out more info and this was his response:

John Heald This was cancelled just yesterday, and the email notifications are pending to go out today. Per the beards there were just too many complaints, especially in regards to timing issues and the required travel time to get there and back. So sorry you found out like this and you will get the email soon. Cheers Tammi

I will find something else to do but was really looking forward to doing this but will not do it on our own as it is too far away and too risky getting back on time....

Many of us do this on our own. You will have plenty of time. Speedys ferry service is within walking distance a few blocks away. Check out their schedules.......here is the link:

http://www.speedysbvi.com/schedules.php?weekday=Wednesday

This happened to me last year with an excursion I had booked for St.Kitts, I happened to be checking my bank account online and noticed a refund from carnival for an excursion.

I had to go to my booking to find which one, never got an email from Carnival, I booked all my excursions in advance so I would not have to do it when I got on the ship.

I did end up booking the Scenic Train and did this with a couple of CC members who I had met on roll call.

Hi Mizz K, it's me Cindy we did the train with you, also had dinner with you several nights. I see you are doing the same cruise again this september. I hope you have another blast!!

Cindy

Many of us do this on our own. You will have plenty of time. Speedys ferry service is within walking distance a few blocks away. Check out their schedules.......here is the link:

Speedys operates out of Tortola. It wouldn't do OP any good in St Thomas. That's why OP is upset about the cancellation. Because of the distance, it can probably only be done from St Thomas on a Carnival excursion.

Going to the Baths from anywhere in the USVI has always been problematic. You have to clear immigration both ways and it is about a 2 hour sail each way, plus the time for clearing customs. You end up sitting on a boat a long time to spend 90 minutes or so ashore and then you have no time in St. Thomas.

I understand your disappointment but truthfully you are better off without that excursion (yes I have been to the Baths multiple times and enjoy them very much).

The OP is in St. Thomas, not Tortola. It is not doable on your own from St. Thomas, in fact Speedy doesn't even go to St. Thomas, and the ferry dock is not walking distance in St. Thomas from either cruise dock.

The OP is in St. Thomas, not Tortola. It is not doable on your own from St. Thomas, in fact Speedy doesn't even go to St. Thomas, and the ferry dock is not walking distance in St. Thomas from either cruise dock.

Ooops my bad......I thought they were in Tortola:p

The ferry dock is within walking distance in Tortola......

The excursion is possible from St. Thomas. Speedy is operated out of Tortola but makes weekly trips to St. Thomas. Locals make this trip often on our own but it IS a timely trip, as a matter of fact my class made this trip ans an event for our 20th reunion. I would not recommend doing the trip unless you are staying on island. I also would not recommend walking to the ferry dock from either cruise ship dock.

The excursion is possible from St. Thomas. Speedy is operated out of Tortola but makes weekly trips to St. Thomas. Locals make this trip often on our own but it IS a timely trip, as a matter of fact my class made this trip ans an event for our 20th reunion. I would not recommend doing the trip unless you are staying on island. I also would not recommend walking to the ferry dock from either cruise ship dock.

I should have clarified that I meant as a cruise passenger who is not overnighting in St. Thomas. As you say it is really too far to go on a port stop.

Ours was cancelled last week after we boarded. We found out about it later that evening. I was bummed but it all worked out. We quickly found something else to do. We booked our next cruise while onboard & it stops in Tortola. We're going to try to reach them from there. ;)

Well - I checked my email this morning and I did have one from Carnival - here is the official notice:

Good Afternoon Valued Cruiser,

It has come to our attention that the “Baths At Virgin Gorda in St. Thomas have been eliminated off of our Shore Excursion Program. This can be due to many reasons in conjunction to Carnival Cruise Lines and the high level standards that a tour operator must withhold to run an excursion through our company. We pride ourselves on quality fun, friendly service and if we feel that the operator has not met the required criteria, then we are left with no choice but to remove the tour from our program. This is bitter sweet as we know many people plan their excursions ahead of time but we can assure you that any cancellation is made with much consideration to the guest experience and safety in mind. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and we hope you will rebook another one of our many exciting shore excursion on www.carnival.com. Please allow 7-10 business days in order for the refund to reflect onto your debit/credit card.

Have a happy sailing!

Tour Operations

Carnival Cruise Lines

I am still bummed but glad they notified me (I just happen to find it before the notice we out) and we will find something else to do!

Anyways, glad I was able to share and let anyone know about it if they had this booked...

Happy Sailing!!:)

Sorry OP.

We did it a few years ago out of Tortola and outstanding trip.

Consider going to St Johns

Thanks! I have heard so many nice things about it but hopefully it will be available on another cruise!

Already booked my replacement Snorkeling adventure!

Tam

Archived