Cruise Photos is there a easier way??

As I am one whom always is up to the challenge of questioning logic :D,

I have been wondering is there is not a more efficent, less annoying and not to mention less embarrising, but most importantly less wasteful way for the army of cruise ships photographers/paparazi to conduct there business?

I would say yes considering the advancement in technology since the Titanic sailed and being that it has also been a considerable time since the Kodak Brownie camera was invented?

On our last cruise on SUN PRINCESS these people were a real pest and nuisance .

- Slowing down the disembarkation of tenders coralling people for shots.

- Taking photos in the MDR without permission of the diners at tables.

- Trying to line us up with every stupid inflated cartoon character at every opportunity.

I delight on the last day when they still have walls and walls full of their grossly overpriced photos going along and offering them like $ 5 which is about what their photos are worth . They always refuse to which I counter surely you are better to get $ 5 for my photo than throw it out !!!

The volume of photos printed and thrown out is criminal and largely explains the grossly overpriced charges asked. Also the Photographic Franchisee no doubt has to pay a decent % age commission to the Cruise Line .

I have a serious problem with the photographers on these ships, it happens every time.

It goes like this, I get dressed up in my best tux making sure I look like James Bond when I leave the room.

We line up for half an hour to have our photos taken. We get in the right position to get my best angle and after 12 shots, that's it. job done.

The next day we eagerly race down to the gallery and Lo and Behold they've mucked the photos up and mixed up photos of my wife and I with someone else.

There she is standing in the photo with some big fat bald bloke that looks nothing like James Bond and more like Bert Newton!

Do you think it might be the image of the ghost of cruises past in the photos?

Sludge

I like the photos they take on formal nights. The soft lens makes everyone look great.

I grumble (to myself of course) at the photographers waiting to hijack you at the end of the gangway.

If they took less photos , perhaps there wouldn't be so much wastage at the end of the cruise and prices would be more realistic.

By the way, does anyone know if they rely on commissions exclusively or are they also paid by Princess?

I like the photos they take on formal nights. The soft lens makes everyone look great.

I grumble (to myself of course) at the photographers waiting to hijack you at the end of the gangway.

If they took less photos , perhaps there wouldn't be so much wastage at the end of the cruise and prices would be more realistic.

By the way, does anyone know if they rely on commissions exclusively or are they also paid by Princess?

We love the photos seriously and are real suckers, we buy all the big display books as well.

It's the only time we get a family photo with us all dressed up, they would probably cost a lot more onshore and what's more we would never get around to doing it.

Paul

The next day we eagerly race down to the gallery and Lo and Behold they've mucked the photos up and mixed up photos of my wife and I with someone else.

There she is standing in the photo with some big fat bald bloke that looks nothing like James Bond and more like Bert Newton!

Sludge

Bahahaha I had to laugh at that one Sludger, It can't really be that bad Could it:D:eek:

I also enjoy getting my photo taken, but I also find the prices quite reasonable (unlike most other people here), but that could be due to me not having kids and all the money I earn goes to me (Don't even have to pay rent coz I'm still scabbing off the parents till I can get my deposit for my first home underway, which if I have my way will be never:p) On the Last Cruise, I bought 5 Candid photos and I think about 12 Formal night photos, I thought the Formal night photos were great quality, it was $30 a photo, but had a deal on where it was buy 2 get 1 free, so all up my formal photos costs $240 for 12 photos. To put it in perspective, the year before, I got conned into one of those "Free photo shoots" you win at the Easter show, and they pretty much forced you into buying the photos, I paid $1500 (cheapest package) for 5 photos that I wasn't even happy with!! I ended up taking that paticular photo studio to Fair trading as I didn't want to buy any photos, but they wouldn't let me leave until I bought something...

Anyway, my point being, Cruise photos I find are quite reasonable :)

On our recent Pacific Pearl cruise the photo section took so many photos they couldn't display them all.

There's no way I wanted to sit down and look through boxes, yes I mean BOXES, full of photos to find ours.

What a waste of money!

On our recent Pacific Pearl cruise the photo section took so many photos they couldn't display them all.

There's no way I wanted to sit down and look through boxes, yes I mean BOXES, full of photos to find ours.

What a waste of money!

Same on the Jewel we thought we would be smart about it and gather all our photos up early and give them to one of the Photo shop brains..it would have worked if one they were intrested two if she had shown some sales skill and three if she actually had a brain :D...all we got was a "grunt" and "I can't do that, put them together behind each other and leave them in the rack"..which we grudgingly did after sorting through our prized overpriced photo's for a good 45 min's..we never saw them again..even though we looked. I gave up figured it's just too hard and obviously they didn't need our money

I figure they are not on commision and just on a wage, as the ones I had dealings with had zero interest either that or they are mechanized robots not dissimilar to the "Borg" of Star Trek :)

On Diamond Princess we did the ships Ultimate Tour , which included a tour of the photo lab. Very interesting to see the machine where all the pics are stored and then printed out. They told us that all the unused pics were put through a shredder, and the special paper they are printed on , is recycled.

Don't know if all ships do that though. Must be a gigantic waste if they don't.

buy a good camra and get a friend to take the same shots of your family as the photographer they do try to stop any one from doing it. your only lending the back drop. or is it stealing your own image

buy a good camra and get a friend to take the same shots of your family as the photographer they do try to stop any one from doing it. your only lending the back drop. or is it stealing your own image

lol that thought did cross my mind when I was on the Jewel :rolleyes:..

I wish they would just sell them for $5 each - they have already printed them, and they are just going to shred them anyway! On our first cruise, we bought heaps of photos, but the more we cruise the less we buy. If a formal night one turns out really well, we usually just buy the one, but still cringe at the ones we don't buy going in the bin. We would but more if they did not cost so much.

Perhaps they could make the photos viewable and orderable on the TV in your room - you could look at them at night, choose the ones you want and place your order in the privacy and comfort of your room.

On one cruise, one couple were very diligent at collecting all of their photos and putting them in one spot. When we were checking ours, I often saw them looking at them and collecting them and making sure they were in the one spot. On the last night of the cruise, they came along with a bag, quickly grabbed the photos, put them in the bag and walked off. I was so shocked at what I had just seen, and as he passed me he said 'they are just going to throw them out'.

They're an independent concession - it's actually the other way as they have to pay money to the line for the space/business. Princess doesn't pay them.

I wish they would just sell them for $5 each - they have already printed them, and they are just going to shred them anyway! On our first cruise, we bought heaps of photos, but the more we cruise the less we buy. If a formal night one turns out really well, we usually just buy the one, but still cringe at the ones we don't buy going in the bin. We would but more if they did not cost so much.

Perhaps they could make the photos viewable and orderable on the TV in your room - you could look at them at night, choose the ones you want and place your order in the privacy and comfort of your room.

On one cruise, one couple were very diligent at collecting all of their photos and putting them in one spot. When we were checking ours, I often saw them looking at them and collecting them and making sure they were in the one spot. On the last night of the cruise, they came along with a bag, quickly grabbed the photos, put them in the bag and walked off. I was so shocked at what I had just seen, and as he passed me he said 'they are just going to throw them out'.

I wonder how many people do that, as as we and we have seen many people put all there photo's in stop all the time, but I have never seen people just take them, we learn some thing new every day,

But it is true they are going thow the out any way.

Very sad. They have obviously got bigger problems than pinching a few photos!!

Last month on the Celebrity Infinity we were able to swipe our seapass card at one of the photo computer screens and all of our photos were there. They had a face recognition program in place. They still printed and displayed a lot of photos but not all. It was definitely quicker & easier than browsing through hundreds of photos.

Last month on the Celebrity Infinity we were able to swipe our seapass card at one of the photo computer screens and all of our photos were there. They had a face recognition program in place. They still printed and displayed a lot of photos but not all. It was definitely quicker & easier than browsing through hundreds of photos.

what a great idea.

Only if they're not sold. I guess that guy steals all the fresh produce from the grocer as well as they will also throw it out if it's not sold.

Stealing is stealing no matter what happens to the product. THEY HAVE PROBLEMS!!

Stealing is stealing no matter what happens to the product. THEY HAVE PROBLEMS!!
what if the guy takes the veg after it has been thrown out?

About ten years ago thier was a old guy over the north side of Brisbane that would go around the coles and target stores and get all the broken toys out of the bins, if they could be fixed, he would fix them and then give them to to then local charities for then children.

He did get charged but it was thrown out of court.

these day and is has been done for long time know coles wolles and target and the most stores, use compactors and lock there bins so this can not happen, it is also done for safty has well, because some people sleep in these bins.

Just a little info about these photo's on the cruise ships.

any one can buy your photo's and you can not stop them.

unless you can get the photo people to stop it from the start of your cruise.

Archived