::sigh:: My DH HATES sports jackets....

Emmie

Hello, all!

My DH feels a sports jacket is pointless. His theory: if I'm going to wear a jacket, I might as well wear a suit. He has never been a "navy sports coat with khaki pants" kind of guy. He is ALL about the golf/rugby shirt with chinos or a suit. (That is if he cannot get away with jeans!)

He agreed he would listen to impartial opinions on this subject. And so, I am asking: can he get away with a suit or golf shirt on semi-formal nights, or would a sports jacket be a worthy investment? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emmie

I've never cruised where there were formal, semi formal and smart casual. Only formal and smart casual. But I wanted to say that I agree with your husband on the sports coat issue. I think they only look good anymore over a tshirt with jeans. That's just my opinion, though.

I wear a tuxedo for formal, and on smart casual, I wear nice sweaters or button up shirts with khaki or black dockers.

LES!

I think your husband and my husband may be the same person. I actually read your post to him and had him fill in the blanks on your husband`s quotations. I`m glad someone else can`t get anywhere on the issue. I`m about ready to just go out and buy him one. But he won`t wear it!

Because it's the med which means long days of touring, I think suit for formal nights and nice pants with a button up shirt (not golf or too informal) for all the others is fine. My hubby is bringing his suit and 3 shirts and ties for our med cruise and nice dress pants/dockers and button up shirts for all the other nights.

At least I feel like we won't feel completely out of place if DH chooses his suit or a button shirt and slacks for the semi-formal nights. However, we live in Boston, home to the famous Filene's Basement, and if I find him a sports jacket for a decent price, he just might get one as a pre-cruise gift! (This is the original Filene's basement, where I have found him $400 suits for $75 :eek: )

Thanks,

Emmie

Emmie,

Have him wear the suits on the formal nights and shirts and pants on the causal nights.

I see you've already booked your cruise and HAL is kind of a formal line, so there will be plenty of suits worn in the dining room.

However, for the future, I highly suggest booking a cruise where this isn't an issue, such as Oceania or Windjammer.

Jane

My DH wears a suit for formal night, nice dress pants with a shirt and tie for smart casual, and dockers with polos or button downs for casual.

We have cruised Carnival and Celebrity and he fit in with the majority of men for all three attires.

If he will not wear a sports coat than I wouldn't push the issue however, there are some really casual ones out right now by companies like Tommy Bahama. These sport coats don't come in regular sizes but Small, Medium, Large, X-Large, XXLarge and are made of less traditional fabrics. Instead of wool, they are 100% Linen or linen/cotton and maybe have some silk.

He'll be fine with a dark suit on formal nights.

Archived