Wheel Chair Assistance

Shogun

Hi All

Those nice folks that help passengers needing assistance to get on and off ship, do you tip them every time, is it the same small team, that you gve atip to at the end of a cruise

yours Shogun

When embarking or disembarking using wheelchair assistance, it's a bit complicated. The onshore pusher is allowed to push only up to the gangway and no further. The ship's staff pushes the wheelchair from the gangway to the cabin and are not allowed to push a wheelchair onshore. It's the reverse when disembarking. We always tip each pusher separately, from $2-5 (or more), depending on how far they've pushed, whether they just pushed or also really assisted (most do), how long they helped, etc.

When embarking or disembarking using wheelchair assistance, it's a bit complicated. The onshore pusher is allowed to push only up to the gangway and no further. The ship's staff pushes the wheelchair from the gangway to the cabin and are not allowed to push a wheelchair onshore. It's the reverse when disembarking. We always tip each pusher separately, from $2-5 (or more), depending on how far they've pushed, whether they just pushed or also really assisted (most do), how long they helped, etc.

Not entirely true, at least not in Vancouver. Working shore operations here I see all the ships come in. In many instances, including Princess, the guest is taken from the debark waiting area on board straight out to a car, taxi, bus by the same crew member. The process is reversed for guests needed assistance on to the ship. Perhaps it depends on the port. I agree with the tip amount - it varies depending on the distance pushed and crew service.

We often have assistance leaving the ship (though not by wheelchair). Whoever assists us stays with us until we leave the building and get on a bus or shuttle to the airport.

We have tipped anywhere from $5-$25. One time, when we exited the ship, our luggage was not off loaded yet. The man's supervisor told him to stay with us the entire time through customs and off the ship. We waited 30 plus minutes for our luggage. He got a larger tip as he was so pleasant waiting with us and then helping me find our luggage and then getting us to the Southwest truck to take our luggage and then on to the shuttle.

These employees are very helpful and very caring.

I have been in ports where the ship personnel stayed with me until I was outside the terminal and in ports where the ship personnel only went to the start of the gangway. Or vice versa if arriving rather than departing. We tip about $5.00 per pusher unless they help with the luggage or have to go a great distance. Since we sail in an accessible cabin we do not notify them in advance. Now I travel with my own equipment (travelscoot scooter) and don't have to wait for someone to find a wheelchair.

Archived