When to check in at Heathrow Express @ Paddington

truffles68

I would appreciate hearing from the wise & experienced travellers/cruisers.

I have never used Heathrow Express from Paddington to LHR.

The journey should only be 15 - 20 minutes.

I have an Air Canada flight flying out of LHR terminal 3 at 10:25am in August.

I will be flying directly from Lhr to Canada.

According to Heathrow Express I believe I would be able to check in my luggage at Paddington so the next time I see it will be in Canada.

When is the latest time I must check in @ Heathrow Express @ Paddington ?

I understand I still have to go through immigration & security checks at LHR.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

Hi

I think you can check in and print your Boarding Pass (a bit like

on-line check in) this allows you to take your bags to the bag drop

off desk for your airline and so miss the check in queues at the

airport. You will still have to take your luggage onto the train with you.

The journey should only be 15 - 20 minutes.
15 minutes is the time taken for the train to get from the platform at Paddington to the platform at the first station at Heathrow.

The distinction is very important, because if you look at overall journey time from the place you start from to the check-in desk at Heathrow, the Heathrow Express is sometimes barely faster (if at all) than other forms of transport like the Tube.

So don't be misled by the spin put on this by the Heathrow Express marketing people.

According to Heathrow Express I believe I would be able to check in my luggage at Paddington so the next time I see it will be in Canada.
No, as swigso says. Many years ago, there used to be such a facility, but it no longer exists.

Thanks to Swigso & Globaliser for your info.

I was under the impression that Heathrow Express was operating in a system similar to the one in Hong Kong.

I was actually able to check in & drop off my luggage @ the Air Canada counter in the city's Airport Express Light Rail.

I did not see my luggage until I arrived in Canada.

Thank you for your clarification.

I was under the impression that Heathrow Express was operating in a system similar to the one in Hong Kong.

I was actually able to check in & drop off my luggage @ the Air Canada counter in the city's Airport Express Light Rail.

I did not see my luggage until I arrived in Canada.

There are many people in London who miss that service. When the Heathrow Express was still doing that, it provided a great reason to use the train. But over the years since then, I have progressively migrated to using the Tube, particularly after my other great reason (free upgrades to first class) was withdrawn.

It has been a long time since I was able to drop luggage at the Heathrow Express check in and not have to carry it on my own.

It was an excellent service back then.

If you have a lot of luggage, heavy luggage or can't manage on your own, then you need to make other arrangements.

I do the tube only if I have a minimum of luggage and have one hand absolutely free so I can manage stairs, escalators etc.

If you have a lot of luggage, heavy luggage or can't manage on your own, then you need to make other arrangements.

I do the tube only if I have a minimum of luggage and have one hand absolutely free so I can manage stairs, escalators etc.

I use the National Express coach from Victoria as it is cheap and easy with luggage. However you can now call for assistance to use an elevator instead of using the escalator at Heathrow.

BAA Heathrow: Special assistance: London Underground

Also Terminal 5 does have elevators.

The London Transport trip planner will show the stations with elevators. Just put in a trip without stairs and escalators.

Thanks for everyone's brilliant suggestions & info.

The last time we travelled to London after our medit. cruise in 2007 we spent 2 and a half hours on a Hotel Link Shuttle Bus travelling from LHR to our hotel in Covent Garden. We were the last ones dropped off on the bus. It was a very tiring day: getting off a cruiseship, flying into LHR, waiting an hour in line to go through immigration (we are Canadians), a 2 1/2 hr drive to the hotel. We were HUNGRY & exhausted by the time we checked into the hotel. You know, we were used to constantly eating on the cruiseship. LOL ! The return trip to LHR took 1 1/2 hr.

This time we decided to try out the Heathrow Express for it appeared to be fast & easy. We did not want to spend a lot of time on the road so we chose a hotel near the Paddington Station. We plan to have only one large suitcase & one hand carrier per person.

Once again, thanks everyone !

Archived