Explorer live - Medical emergency

Cruise is going great, everything is good. Had great time doing the Segway tour in San Juan, did a sailboat to a snorkeling adventure to Buck Island on the Fury, saw a lot of turtles, reefs, really a great trip.

Last night we were heading out of Puerto Rico on the way back to Bayonne. We left port at 1:00 PM.

We were at the 6:00 dinner seating. We are on starboard side, and the sun was setting out of our window. The sun was now setting in the east? Not really we were heading due south, back to Puerto Rico. At about 6:30 the Captain came on the intercom and announced there was a medical emergency, and the ship was now sailing back towards Puerto Rico. We were going to sail about two hours, and a Coast Guard helicopter would meeting us to be airlifting the person off the ship.

At about 8:30 the helicopter arrived and took the passenger away. But, no one was allowed on the top decks, so no one could actually see the rescue. Also, I was talking to someone at the pool area, and said the best place to watch would be on the TV in the room, as one channel has a video cam all the time on the heliport. He said he checked it out, and they had turned that off.

Just spoke to customer relations and asked when we would be arriving in Bayonne, but, they did not have an answer. Assuming we might be getting in late.

I'm on the next cruise on the 2nd. If you find out that the ship will be late into Bayonne can you updade? Thanks

I'm hoping it will be late a couple of days!:p

I will update, but also I would call RCI to get an update. All said, I would say we lost about 6 hours.

I'm hoping it will be late a couple of days!:p

I will update, but also I would call RCI to get an update. All said, I would say we lost about 6 hours.

We have been on a couple of cruises where they have either turned around or air-lifted a passenger off for medical reasons. The Captain will make up the lost time.

You will be arriving back late. We just got off the explorer, and the Capt. had said it is a long distance from San Jaun to Bayonne, and it was imperative that the ship leave San Jaun on time because there is no time to spare.

That's why the ship left at 1pm.

I would be very interested to see what time you get back. Was his statement accurate?

On the EOS now, Captain said they will make up the time, expects to be docking in Bayonne at 8:01 AM.

Thank you for the update. I will be boarding the EOS tomorrow, so this is good news. I hope the person who was medivaced will be alright.

Thank you for the update. I will be boarding the EOS tomorrow, so this is good news. I hope the person who was medivaced will be alright.

Actually it was a crew member, had appendicitis.

Captain is not very happy, says that he has not gotten any updates on the condition of the crew member, said he will let us know when he hears.

Captain is a great guy, always around the ship, easily approachable, takes pix with passengers. He had a session of Q & a in the main auditorium, when it was over I was leaving, and I bumped into him in the aisle leaving, was able to ask him some more questions about the medivac evacuation, just a very personable guy.

Cruise has been absolutely magnificent, no complaints whatsoever.

When I get back, I will do a review.

We have been on a couple of cruises where they have either turned around or air-lifted a passenger off for medical reasons. The Captain will make up the lost time.

Not necessarily so! We we're on the Navigator on our way to Bermuda when it was announced that we had turned around to meet a helicopter and would not be making it to Bermuda.

Actually it was a crew member, had appendicitis.

Captain is not very happy, says that he has not gotten any updates on the condition of the crew member, said he will let us know when he hears.

Captain is a great guy, always around the ship, easily approachable, takes pix with passengers. He had a session of Q & a in the main auditorium, when it was over I was leaving, and I bumped into him in the aisle leaving, was able to ask him some more questions about the medivac evacuation, just a very personable guy.

Cruise has been absolutely magnificent, no complaints whatsoever.

When I get back, I will do a review.

Hopefully crew member will be okay. Glad to hear you had a great time. Leaving on the 7th. Any suggestions of what to do in Bermuda:confused:

Archived