Fuji XP?? Any reviews?

I'm looking to purchase a take along camera on excursions and would prefer one that takes underwater photos. The Fujis seem to be in my price range. I have a really nice Canon that I'm taking on the cruise with me, but not trusting of the water/sand proof cases that they sell.

Anyone have any experience with the Fuji xp series or similar? Care to share some of your pics? Does it take good traditional shots as well?

TIA!!

I'm looking to purchase a take along camera on excursions and would prefer one that takes underwater photos. The Fujis seem to be in my price range. I have a really nice Canon that I'm taking on the cruise with me, but not trusting of the water/sand proof cases that they sell.

Anyone have any experience with the Fuji xp series or similar? Care to share some of your pics? Does it take good traditional shots as well?

TIA!!

Maybe just my experience but I am on my fourth one (due to returns)and all have had problems. Have to charge through the battery part which is a pain. Had to return one for battery problems. All have taken awful pictures and just a little better video. The last replacement is a newer model and not any better. I would never buy this camera again but if you do get an extended warranty that will give you cash back and not just replacement cameras. I get much better photos with my ipod.

Maybe just my experience but I am on my fourth one (due to returns)and all have had problems. Have to charge through the battery part which is a pain. Had to return one for battery problems. All have taken awful pictures and just a little better video. The last replacement is a newer model and not any better. I would never buy this camera again but if you do get an extended warranty that will give you cash back and not just replacement cameras. I get much better photos with my ipod.

underwater???:eek:

Thanks dodger, I only saw "photos" as a topic.

Yeah, I saw that - thought the old threads rolled away. Then I saw a selection at the bottom where you can go back x number of days of threads. The default is small.

Otherwise, just start one.

I have a Fuji FinePix XP10 - and have had no problems at all. I bought an extra battery, so I don't have to worry about the battery running down. It takes pretty decent pictures (I'm not the world's best photographer) Here's a few:

2349136350059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2149961130059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2198840810059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

2494652890059432091S500x500Q85.jpg

i have a fuji finepix XP10 and it was wonderful.

the negatives: noisy zoom and audio noises when entering water and when shutting off video.

the positives: it's waterproof, takes pretty good photos out of the water as well.

Here's a video of snorkling in Roatan. I was getting knocked around by the waves so don't watch this if you get motion sick....i chose this one cause it shows you how clear the video can be, but also shows you the noisy zoom. I did love the auto focus feature.

also here are a few photos taken below and above water with the Fuji

DSCF1056.JPG

DSCF1075.JPG

DSCF1211.JPG

DSCF1222.JPG

DSCF1252.JPG

biters.jpg

The only bad thing, and it might be my own fault...some of the green coating is coming off in one section. Perhaps i left it in the water too long or something. It didn't start coming off til a few months after the cruise.

I used the XP10 on my Norwegian EPIC sailing in February, and was very pleased with the way most of my pictures turned out. I posted a large number of them on my EPIC review here online, and I got lots of compliments on the quality/clarity.

And the videos I took from on the numerous water slides came out better than expected.

That being said . . . it went back to the store one day after debarkation.

Hated hated hated that annoying reflection of myself in the LCD view screen when I was outside in the bright sun. Kept me from being able to do zoom-in because I couldn't tell how large the object was on the screen.

Indoor shots are definitely inferior to the outdoor shots, so I would count on the camera not entirely replacing what you use now.

The newer models (XP20 and XP30) have taken care of that problem with a polarized filter on the LCD viewer. MUCH better now.

The GPS feature on the XP30 is a bit of a battery-drainer, but the feature is kinda cool. If that isn't desired, the XP20 is identical in all other ways. I bought the XP30 , and really really like it.

The XP20 is currently on sale this week at several places ($149 vs normal $199 retail).

I hope this info helped in any small way.

I just got a Fuji xp20 from costco

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11626947&whse=BC&Ne=5000001+4000000&eCat=BC|90607|83&N=4047256 4294906393&Mo=8&No=6&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=

On sale- $40 off.

I've been playing with it in the pool and so far its been great! I think its a great little camera for the money and it came with a memory card and a charger.

We bought the Fuji XP to take some waterproof pictures during dolphin excursion last april. We bought a refurbed one from a store on Ebay for about $100 which I thought was a great deal since the crappy waterproofed disposable ones cost nearly that much after purchasing a few of them then processing the film. We were quite happy with the pictures both in the water and out. I will say that I thought the shutter speed seemed slugish compared to our canon and other fuji. Not a problem but it made for a bit of an adjustment sometimes.

I bought the Fuji Finepix XP 20 the other day and I spent the day taking pictures in and out of the pool and video in and out of the pool. I will look at all the photos and video tomorrow and see how everything looks :D

I even tried taking photos of fireworks tonight but I don't think those came out very good.

I bought a Fuji XP on my last cruise to use for snorkelling. The very first thing I noticed when I got back to my cabin to use the camera is that the battery latch kept popping open. I was very nervous that this might be an issue. Since I bought it in port, I couldn't take it back.

The next day I took many pictures with the camera and was happy with the results. I even took it in the water with me to take pics- no problem.

The next day I took the camera on a snorkelling trip- the first leg of the trip went fine, but on the second leg- my fear of problems with the battery latch came true. When I jumped in the water, I couldn't get the camera to turn on. Then I noticed that the lens was full of water. Sure enough, the battery latch popped open and the camera was ruined.

So I got two days use out of mine.

Luckily, I got my money back from the camera shop and the photo shop person was able to retrieve the pics from my rusted out memory card.

My sister has an Olympus model underwater camera that takes great pics in and out of the water. The battery latch also has a lock to keep it from popping open accidently.

I bought a Fuji XP on my last cruise to use for snorkelling. The very first thing I noticed when I got back to my cabin to use the camera is that the battery latch kept popping open. I was very nervous that this might be an issue. Since I bought it in port, I couldn't take it back.

The next day I took many pictures with the camera and was happy with the results. I even took it in the water with me to take pics- no problem.

The next day I took the camera on a snorkelling trip- the first leg of the trip went fine, but on the second leg- my fear of problems with the battery latch came true. When I jumped in the water, I couldn't get the camera to turn on. Then I noticed that the lens was full of water. Sure enough, the battery latch popped open and the camera was ruined.

So I got two days use out of mine.

Luckily, I got my money back from the camera shop and the photo shop person was able to retrieve the pics from my rusted out memory card.

My sister has an Olympus model underwater camera that takes great pics in and out of the water. The battery latch also has a lock to keep it from popping open accidently.

That is concerning regarding the latch.

I would be interested in what others looked at when deciding on this camera.

I have always liked Fuji products. My DH does not think I need another camera. My question would be how I can find the camera for $100.00 (I do not need a GPS). I also would prefer a wider angle.

My other question is how these camera's handle in certain types of water that might damage the camera such as the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, or Dead Sea in Israel. Any feedback?

Archived