When Magic goes to Cozumel

okwriter

I've been to two different piers in Cozumel. Sorry---don't know the names.

One of them seems newer. When we were there in December on the Legend, they were building a few shops on part of the pier that you'd pass on the way back to the ship.

I went to the other pier on the Ecstasy in May of this year. It has a large two-story thing at the port that you go through if you want to catch a cab.

Anyone know which of these two the Magic will use, or is it luck of the draw?

The pier 3 miles out is Carnival's, but if its full they must have some agreement to pay for space wherever they can. I have docked twice downtown this year alone. The pier next to Carnival's is RCL's but I have seen a Carnival ship parked there as well. I would assume that they will dock at the pier considered Carnival's as often as they can.

This is Carnival's pier with the walkway finished and shops inside and a/c in May.

Picture067.jpg

We were parked next to Crown Princess, owned by Carnival of course. .. and this is the ship coming to Galveston :D

Picture066.jpg

The pier shown by firefly is Puerta Maya...the one downtown is Puerta Langosta:p

Thank you. I like Puerta Maya (the one with the new shops) much better! So I guess the answer to my question (which one Magic will use) is: nobody knows. ;)

Thank you. I like Puerta Maya (the one with the new shops) much better! So I guess the answer to my question (which one Magic will use) is: nobody knows. ;)

I am hoping that once the sailings from Galveston begin - we will see a pattern. Maybe no one can say for sure even then - but maybe we can get a "usually".... ;)

I've been to Cozumel many times, and the piers still confuse me. There is one that has a Three Amigos to the right when you get off with silly photo op stuff. Then there is one that had an escalator, is that the one that was destroyed by a hurricane? and then there was one that you had to go through a building to get to the taxis.

The 3 Amigos one is the one we have used for the Freedom and Conquest recently. We have the Elation and Magic coming up and were wondering which one they will use also. I guess we'll find out when we get there.

Sewut

You can go to the Peurto Maya site. Just google it and click on the port schedule tab at the top. You can look at the date you are suppose to be there and it will tell you what ship will be docked there that day. I know we are suppose to be in port December 24 of this year and we will be docking there. If it does not show you there it will probably be the Peurto Lan.... downtown pier

This might or might not help some on the piers....

Punta Langosta Pier

This pier can disembark 3 ships at her side simultaneously as well as play host to visiting marine vessels such as US Coast Guard Cutters and large private yachts.

Located at the southern end of the downtown area

Taxis are plentiful here for transport anywhere on the island

Easy walking distance to central downtown shopping, restaurants and bars

Skybridge access to Punta Langosta Mall just across the street

TMM International Pier

The first cruise ship pier constructed in Cozumel and has recently been expanded to accommodate up to 4 ships simultaneously.

5 - 10 minute taxi ride north to downtown area shopping, restaurants, bars

5 - 15 minute taxi ride south to beaches, beach clubs inside the marine park

Taxis always available for transport anywhere on the island

Multitude of shops and restaurants inside the pier area itself

Puerta Maya Pier

The second cruise ship pier constructed in Cozumel and was completely destroyed by hurricanes in 2005. Reopened in Fall 2008 , this pier can accommodate 2 ships currently but has applied for construction permits to extend the pier so as to receive up to 4 ships simultaneously.

5 - 10 minute taxi ride north to downtown area shopping, restaurants, bars

5 - 15 minute taxi ride south to beaches, beach clubs inside the marine park

Taxis readily available for transport anywhere on the island

Multitude of shops and restaurants inside the pier area itself

So it would appear that if more than two Carnival ships are in port at one time the will be porting at a different pier that Puerta Maya....

To the "OP"...When are you going on the Magic?

Here is an example of the amount of ships in port (all ports) in December....On the right side of the page are ships in port the day the Magic is there....

http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=144&date=40

We're likely going in April but haven't picked a date. Thanks for the link!

I was surprised both times they announced we would port downtown. I wonder if this was planned out or a last minute change. Id rather be downtown, closer to lots more shops. My favorite internet cafe was closed in May until further notice last time we stopped at the Carnival pier. I guess with all the ipad and such that pick up a signal, internet cafes are losing business.

To the "OP"...When are you going on the Magic?

Here is an example of the amount of ships in port (all ports) in December....On the right side of the page are ships in port the day the Magic is there....

http://cruisett.com/ships.php?ShipID=144&date=40

Ok....according to this link we (the Magic) are in Cozumel on 12/6 with 2 other Carnival ships - Ecstasy and Elation. Anyway to figure out who is going to dock where??

Ok....according to this link we (the Magic) are in Cozumel on 12/6 with 2 other Carnival ships - Ecstasy and Elation. Anyway to figure out who is going to dock where??

If I had to guess it'll be whichever ship shows up last will port downtown, the other two will be at Puerta Maya.

We're on the Magic in February of 2012, and that website shows three other Carnival ships in port at the same time!

Can't find the Magic when we're in Grand Cayman, though! It's 2/29/12...guess it's a leap year and website doesn't like it.

I'm curious about tendering time from this huge ship into Grand Cayman, whether we just book a Carnival excursion or make it a beach day on our own so we don't have to work too hard getting a tender number.

Thanks for the website!

Dream and Magic isnt that much bigger than Conquest .. I would not worry about tendering. I have yet to have a problem. Its a very short tender into Caymans. once during lunch I went back to the ship for more money and back to the shore, in less than 30 minutes total for both directions tendering.

Thanks, Firefly. You're always so great with information!

We haven't had a tender port for alot of years, so I'm 'pre-worrying'! Unfortunately, I'm a planner so I find many things to concern myself with!

Appreciate your help.

Archived