just curious...how fast do you move if you're on a waitlist?

Camelia-

I've often seen categories waitlisted but never actually needed to put myself on the list..but there is a south american cruise next March that really interested me - unfortunately all categories except insides are waitlisted! Realistically speaking being no. 76 - do I have any chance at all before then to get a cabin?? I'm not picky at this point - I'd just like to get some natural light in my cabin - in any category! Does it have to do with length and itinerary only?? Don't have much hope but couldn't resist trying!

Thanks!

Camelia

You will probably move quickly up the list closer to, or after final payment date. But I would not expect a lot of movement until closer to that time. By then you will have a better idea if you might clear the waitlist, especially if you are willing to accept any cabin above an inside. Other than that advice, I know of absolutely no way to find out how quickly the waitlist will move as it all depends on cancellations. I would recommend though to keep your eyes open on the Princess website for this cruise. Many times, even though categories are waitlisted, some seem to pop up before they are applied to the waitlist. If you happen to see one show up on the Princess website, move quickly to grab it up before it is gone. This recently happened to a friend and she had checked to find there were over 50 on the waitlist, but it still showed up as available so she got it before it disappeared. Good Luck!

How do you find out how many are on the waitlist ? I called Princess and was told there was no way for them to know how many were on the waitlist ahead of me, without my booking the category first . Didn't want to book if there were already 25 ahead of me.

I've often seen categories waitlisted but never actually needed to put myself on the list..but there is a south american cruise next March that really interested me - unfortunately all categories except insides are waitlisted! Realistically speaking being no. 76 - do I have any chance at all before then to get a cabin?? I'm not picky at this point - I'd just like to get some natural light in my cabin - in any category! Does it have to do with length and itinerary only?? Don't have much hope but couldn't resist trying!
Camelia, we're on this cruise and the roll call has been extremely active, with meet & greets, brunch, tours, etc. planned. Every week or so, someone has canceled so I think your chances are pretty good in making the waitlist. You might want to check some of the larger TAs to see if they are holding any cabins. If it were me and I really wanted to go, I'd check the TAs and if necessary, book the inside and waitlist a couple of categories. Even though final payment is coming up in a few months, people's lives change and "stuff" happens, and they cancel.

We went from 14 to 4 on the Island waitlist a month before final payment date. On final payment period, we were offered a good choice of several mini-suites. Our TA kept us up to date weekly where we were on the list.

We are number two on a waitlist for Sept. 3rd; made the booking July 5th. A few balconies have opened and also some insides. No OV at all in any catagory. I am optimistic, but since I need air too, if I do get an assignment the air might have gone up while waiting. We just don't want to spend the extra $$$ for a short cruise that has only one sea day.

I'm heartened to read it!

Toto2Kansas - thank you for that tip! I will definitely check every day just in case - and it wouldn't have occurred to me to do that without you pointing it out!

Pam in CA -thank YOU for the reminder about the roll call and the advice. It's actually what we've done..booked an inside as security and placed ourselves on the waitlists. The only thing is that I don't know if I would be happy to be in an inside on an itinerary that has so many lovely sea days! We will definitely have to decide by final payment so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there is lots of movement..course it would be sad if there was afterwards - when I've already cancelled or if one became available with a huge price increase that I can't afford! I'm leery about checking the roll call because I don't want to become too excited about it - just in case nothing becomes available..a bit of self-preservation against disappointment!!

A couple of final questions please about the flights:

If we were to choose to do it through Princess I read that there are two options: Flexible and Restricted. Is there an advantage of choosing one over the other? And..in my case for example..if I were to book it but then cancel my cruise..what would happen to the air if I've already made payment? I find it all so confusing..so many pieces to put together..

Your continuing advice is very much appreciated!!

Camelia

With a big waitlist don't despair especially if its a larger vessel . There are several critical windows where deposited pax have to pay up and cancel by not to be penailized. The first big window is around 120 - 90 days prior to departure when deposited pax have to cough up in full . Many scratchings occur there creating opportunity offers for waitlisted pax. Secondly there are windows at 90, 60, 30 and 14 days prior to departure where pax can cancel by and get some of the fare back . (Closer to departure like 14 days you do all your dough !) Likewise that frees up some berths for waitlisted pax. So

(i) waitlist yourself for anything (ii) get your Passports and Visas in order (iii) be ready to get an offer up to 2 weeks prior to departure, and be ready to make an on the spot decision .

A couple of final questions please about the flights:

If we were to choose to do it through Princess I read that there are two options: Flexible and Restricted. Is there an advantage of choosing one over the other? And..in my case for example..if I were to book it but then cancel my cruise..what would happen to the air if I've already made payment? I find it all so confusing..so many pieces to put together..

All EZAir questions answered at http://www.princess.com/learn/faq_answer/pre_cruise/travel_transportation_faq/popup/eZAir_Information.html

Archived