Viking Post Cruise in Prague??

Hawaiian Mongoose

IMHO I think the choice between taking the ships post cruise it doing it on your own depends on what type of traveler you are. Prague from Budapest is easily done on your own.

We took a car pre- arranged by the ship to the train station and then a train into Prague. Then a tram to the hotel which was "The Archibald at the Charles Bridge". We took public transport or walked most everywhere.

We will do the same in Switzerland next month, taking trains throughout.

We feel that one week of guided travel via the river cruise is enough for us and then we like to go at our own pace for another week.

Prague is a easy city to see on your own. Public transport is good, it's very walkable.

Whatever you choose you will have a great time.

We're doing a Budapest to Nuremberg river cruise on Viking, and wondering if $799 pp is worth it for 3 night post stay in Prague this Fall.

Hotel is Prague Hilton which is not the one in Old Town, and from prior research seems to be a large convention type hotel in a not very good area, which goes for around $90/night ($45 pp/night). Seems like it's in a not so good area, and noisy, without much to see or do within walking distance.

Factoring in a transfer to Prague by bus, one tour, and 3 breakfasts (in a large banquet room), and having all these arrangements made, is it worth it especially considering I am traveling with an elderly person?

We've already booked air through Viking so airport transfers are already included.

Thank you for any input.

We did Prague pre cruise on our own last Nov. and we chose to stay at the Hilton Old Town because that was the hotel our cruise line was using. We booked their transfer to the ship. It was a considerable saving for us over the cruise line's price and we spent 2 additional nights there. You mentioned traveling with an elderly person but you did not say how mobile and energetic they are, you will need to consider this. The tram system in Prague is very good but keep in mind that the Old Town Square and surrounding area is pedestrian only. You can take a tram to the castle. Taxi scams are prevalent and it is not a good idea to hail one on the street.

Since you have Viking Air with transfers included, can you still use these if you drop the post cruise stay and book on your own? Something to consider.

You will do a lot of walking in Prague no matter what so staying closer to the center of things is worth considering depending on your situation. I would use google and figure out walking distance from the hotel to the sights you want to see and then decide.

Check out the river cruise ports forum and search for Prague. There should be some good info that will help you.

have a wonderful trip!

Edited by purduemom1
Typing corrections

Just booked a beautiful apartment steps away from Old Town Square on Airbnb for three nights after our cruise for $90 per night. Don't overlook this option if you're interested in doing the trip on your own or prefer not to stay in American-style hotels.

Not sure when you are going but I'd love to hear how it goes. I'm considering this option as well.

We're not going until next year - I'm an early planner! But we've used airbnb many times in the US and have had great experiences. I suggest you go to the site and see what's available. Check only listings with verified hosts and photos and look for a good number of reviewers. Verify yourself, so the best hosts will pick you too. Only email with the hosts through the airbnb site.

You can choose "entire place," and use filters to specify neighborhoods and amenities. There's a pretty new option to select "super hosts" - which gives an extra measure of comfort. It looks like locals in Prague are catching on that airbnb can be a way to make a decent living - or at least some good extra money. Many hosts own more than one apartments, and they're clearly treating them like businesses - making them beautiful and adding great service.

Hotels can be nice options, especially for people who like familiar and easy, but an apartment can make the experience much more like being a local.

I have used Air BnB 9 times all over the world and never had a bad experience. Barcelona (twice), London (twice) Seattle. Best value and I find the Hosts very helpful in giving information about what to see in their city as well as transportation. Some give you breakfast, but at least coffee, tea, cream, fruit, etc. You can't go wrong. ;)

We did the Prague extension with Viking in mid-April, 2015. We loved Prague.

We were housed in the Hilton Prague on Probezni St. The neighborhood was fine (and not particularly noisy) and we could walk from the hotel to Old Town without any problems. We did a lot of walking. We used the half-day tour included with the package to get us up to the Castle District. When the tour left to do the Old Town portion of the tour, we stayed behind and spent the whole day exploring the Castle environs (including the Lobkowicz Palace--don't bother with the Viking tour; you can do it on your own for much less). We took a taxi home. The next day we walked from the hotel to the Jewish Quarter and the Old Town and then as far as the Mucha Museum before walking back to the hotel.

The bus trip from Prague to Budapest took 7 hours and included two stops--a pit stop and a lunch stop (cost not included in the package). Door to door service certainly beat the cab-to-station-get-tickets-find-the-right-train/bus-long-ride-worry-about-lunch-worry-about-luggage-find-another-cab routine.

Breakfast was not in a large banquet room. It is in this dedicated dining room off the main lobby. It is a breakfast buffet with plenty of hot and cold choices (including an omelet bar).

HL_atriumrest_23_675x359_FitToBoxSmallDimension_LowerCenter.jpg

Did you have a problem with the taxi driver? A number of people on cc have said that street taxis can be iffy.

Thanks - Patti

Did you have a problem with the taxi driver? A number of people on cc have said that street taxis can be iffy.

Thanks - Patti

We had a problem finding a taxi. We tried two different entrances to the Castle District. A taxi finally drove by on the main street outside the Golden Lion entrance (where we had entered that morning with the tour). The road there is much more traveled (it is a main street and had a constant flow of traffic). Communicating with the driver was an issue as well since I could not pronounce the name of the street properly--my bad. Next time, we will remember to get a business card from the hotel so we can show it to the cabby. But, we got from the Castle District to the hotel without any problems other than the bumper to bumper traffic, following the same route our bus driver has taken that morning, and paid the amount on the meter when we arrived.

We could have also taken a tram from that same location. It would have meant a change of trams and a walk from Republic Square to the hotel but it was our alternative plan if we couldn't get a cab.

We are going in late October, and the elderly person does use a walker so we're a little fearful of having to plan too many things on our own. The hotel that Viking offers is the Hilton Prague, but not the one in old town.

Anyone know if a walker can handle the cobblestone streets in Prague, or are there sidewalks that are smooth?

Our cruise will go from Budapest and end in Nuremburg, and Viking is arranging the airfare. However certainly hope that if we take the Prague extension at the end of our cruise we leave from the Prague airport, and are not transported back to Budapest on a 7 hour bus. Do you think this is a possibility since Viking is in charge of our air schedule?

Thinking what we might do is just take scheduled tours from our hotel, and cover things not covered on the included Viking half day tour the first day there. That way we can be easily picked up and brought right back to the hotel, but hopefully there are some shops, and dining options nearby to this hotel, where is this one: http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/czech-republic/hilton-prague-PRGHITW/index.html

Just to add, the elderly person is not very mobile and energetic, so walking 3 or 4 blocks maximum would be their limit. We can't use the transfers already included with Viking air to get us to Prague instead of brining us to the nearest airport from Nuremburg, where our cruise ends.

It will be a 3-4 hour bus ride I heard to get us to Prague so we will only have time for dinner that night or walking around the immediate area of the Prague Hilton which looks like it's next to a railroad track and not much nearby. Anyone know how easy a cab would be to get us from this Prague Hilton Pobrezni to Old Town or other areas of interest? Maybe we would take a cab that night into Old Town for dinner if there is nothing nearby to eat at, explore or look at.

The next day will be in the included Viking tour, and does anyone know if the tour ends in Old Town? That way we can just explore this area on our own, have lunch and/or dinner there and get a cab back to our hotel later that night. Hopefully there is a reputable places to get cabs that won't take advantage of you.

The next day, since we are very limited with walking ability, we figured we would take some kind of tour that picks us up from the hotel and brings us around and then returns us back to the hotel, but not sure what is included in the Viking tour and what we'd like to see beyond this.

People seem to be recommending the Castle District, but anyone know if Viking includes this on their included half day tour? Café Imperial seems highly recommended also, but looking at their menu they only feature about 4 Czech dishes. Surely the quality of all the food is good, but surprised more traditional food of the area isn't offered.

Loved the picture of the breakfast area in the Prague Hilton. Thanks for posting it.

I think that the cobblestones could present a challenge to those with walkers. We encountered missing stones which meant a bit of a hole. I don't remember seeing any walkers but to be honest, I wasn't looking fine them. I do not recall many smooth surfaces in Old Town Area. I suggest that you call Viking and discuss how this person can be accommodated on tours. Most included river cruise tours involve more walking than just a few blocks. The Hilton should have a conscierge desk and perhaps a tour such as you described with hotel pick up can be arranged (be sure that the it returns you to the hotel as many pick you up but end at a central location). However, much of the Old Town area is pedistrian only. You may be able to arrange a private tour in a car and drive thru many parts of Prague. The hotel can call a taxi for you and tell you the best way to get one for the return. Perhaps prebooking for pick up at a certain time. The other Hilton had a car service available. We did not use it so I don't know anything about it.

You could email the Hilton where you are staying and ask if they have suggestions for tours that are suitable.

Others who have stayed at the Hilton Probenzi may be able to tell you what is near by, keeping in mind the limited walking ability of your travel companion.