Caribbean Cruise...need input please!

emmysmom

Is March a better time to go? To avoid the spring breakers that is. :)

Disney has a website that ranks the best weeks to go to Disney World to avoid the crowds. I think this would give you a good indication of what weeks are crowded with Spring Breakers. The web site is yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/n FYI: The week of April 14,2012 shows relatively low crowds which I assume would mean most spring breaks are over. Hope this helps:).

My sister and I took a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale this year during spring break. We were on the Star, but I think the Emerald is doing the same itinerary next year. The was barely a child onboard. There are plenty of them on the 7 day cruises, but even then they are doing there own thing.

I think this past cruise was my favorite yet. I love the Southern Caribbean ports. The pools were not crowded on the ship-especially the aft pool even on the sea days (mid ship-there are plenty of chair hogs).

I love cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale. If you cruise out of Galveston, you will have to arrange for transportation from the airport. We used Princess transfers when we were there. Since you are further away from the islands and ports, you have more sea days from Galveston also.

From someone who has sailed out of both ports, I vote for the 10 day out of Ft. Lauderdale. It has the perfect combination of sea and port days. There is more to do in Ft. Lauderdale too, they have a nice beach.

Is March a better time to go? To avoid the spring breakers that is. :)

I live in Texas and March is spring break here. I'd never sail out of Galveston in March :(

My birthday is in April and I've taken a couple Southern Caribbean cruises that month and they were fabulous. Sailing out of San Juan is a breeze and the islands are so beautiful. A 10 night out of Florida that also goes to the Southern islands would be great if you can spend the extra time.

Southern is by far my favorite. I love St. Lucia, Barbados, Curacao, and Antigua.

Here's my suggestion for a mid April 2013 departing on Emerald Princess:

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida -- 05:00 PM

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 At Sea -- --

Thursday, April 18, 2013 At Sea -- --

Friday, April 19, 2013 Aruba, Aruba 08:00 AM 07:00 PM

Saturday, April 20, 2013 Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

Sunday, April 21, 2013 Grenada, Grenada 12:00 PM 07:00 PM

Monday, April 22, 2013 Dominica, Dominica 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, U.s.a. 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 At Sea -- --

Thursday, April 25, 2013 Princess Cays, Bahamas 09:00 AM 04:00 PM

Friday, April 26, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 AM

Spend a few day in Ft. Lauderdale prior to the cruise. Sail into the deep Caribbean ports of Aruba and Bonaire, visit the US Virgin Island and the last day at Princess Cays (Princess own island resort). I really don't think it can get any better. Just my two cents.

I don't see any listing beyond April. Most ship's reposition to Alaska or Europe starting in May. Caribbean is much cheaper due to more competition, longer cruise season than Alaska. Outside cabin is all you need since you have airfare to FLL.

Thanks so much for your input! That is one of the cruises we are interested in. :D I think we might book an obstructed view cabin. Our son and his fiance booked this type of cabin for our Alaska cruise and they were upgraded to balcony room. One can only hope! :)

Disney has a website that ranks the best weeks to go to Disney World to avoid the crowds. I think this would give you a good indication of what weeks are crowded with Spring Breakers. The web site is yourfirstvisit.net/planning-your-first-family-trip/when-to-go/n FYI: The week of April 14,2012 shows relatively low crowds which I assume would mean most spring breaks are over. Hope this helps:).

Thank you!!!

I live in Texas and March is spring break here. I'd never sail out of Galveston in March :(

My birthday is in April and I've taken a couple Southern Caribbean cruises that month and they were fabulous. Sailing out of San Juan is a breeze and the islands are so beautiful. A 10 night out of Florida that also goes to the Southern islands would be great if you can spend the extra time.

Southern is by far my favorite. I love St. Lucia, Barbados, Curacao, and Antigua.

We are looking at the 10 day Southern out of Florida in mid-April....we plan on flying a few days before the cruise. Thanks for your help! :D

My sister and I took a 10 day Southern Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale this year during spring break. We were on the Star, but I think the Emerald is doing the same itinerary next year. The was barely a child onboard. There are plenty of them on the 7 day cruises, but even then they are doing there own thing.

I think this past cruise was my favorite yet. I love the Southern Caribbean ports. The pools were not crowded on the ship-especially the aft pool even on the sea days (mid ship-there are plenty of chair hogs).

I love cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale. If you cruise out of Galveston, you will have to arrange for transportation from the airport. We used Princess transfers when we were there. Since you are further away from the islands and ports, you have more sea days from Galveston also.

From someone who has sailed out of both ports, I vote for the 10 day out of Ft. Lauderdale. It has the perfect combination of sea and port days. There is more to do in Ft. Lauderdale too, they have a nice beach.

Great advice ~ Thanks! I think we are pretty set on 10 days out of Florida now, with flying in a few days prior to the cruise. And we are leaning towards the Southern on the Emerald in mid-April. I have alot of learning to do in the next year or so....hotels, airfare, port information, etc.......:)

You'll find air fares for specific dates or time frames at Matrix:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Kayak is a similar web site:

http://www.kayak.com/

Thank you...I will check these out. How far in advance of your cruise is a good time to purchase your flights? Is there any advantage to buying flights from Princess and/or transfers? Sorry for so many questions....this flying stuff isall new to me!

Pezdudeswie and Emmysmom. Rates can be terrible out of Seatac. I have seen 4-500 as the norm. A sale would be just under 300. I try and fly American as they usually connect out of Dallas. In Jan. you have a better chance of not getting snowed in vs. connecting out of Chicago/ NY/ St Louis and Atlanta. I think Continental connects out of Houston. Delta has always been pricey. Southwest is my favorite but they aren't the cheap fares they used to be. Spring break flights should be booked asap as they usually book up fast like a holiday. Southwest won't have April scheduled for awhile so it never hurts to watch now. Lousy flight prices can nix a good cruise deal. I still think a 10 day around Spring break would be the best. Flights mid week won't have the Spring breakers as much. Business travel will be down too. Remember you are comparing flights out of Seattle and not the rest of the country. Spring break is always later on the West Coast.

Wow...I was worried that January would have more weather related flight delays! Thanks for the advice. :)

Thank you...I will check these out. How far in advance of your cruise is a good time to purchase your flights? Is there any advantage to buying flights from Princess and/or transfers? Sorry for so many questions....this flying stuff isall new to me!

I think it is cheaper to book flights on your own, especially since you are flying in a few days ahead (great idea)> Some sites offer a money back guarantee if a booked flight goes down in price (maybe Orbitz). I usually book a few months in advance at least because flights around spring break are always more expensive to Florida if you wait to long.

Just take a taxi to your hotel unless you can find a hotel you like with shuttle service.

We stayed at the Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. It was right on the beach (you a walkway that goes over the main road) and it had a nice marina on the other side. They offered a sail and stay package that provided transportation to the port and a free breakfast. We took a taxi from the airport to get there.

We got lucky, because the room they gave us had a great view of the beach to the left, the marina to the right, and the ship in the distance. It also has a nice pool on site.

On our return trip, we booked Princess transfers to the airport, but it would have been easier to just grab a taxi. I didn't want to put my carry on bag (with my camera and valuables) in the luggage hold area of the bus and it was quite difficult bringing it on the bus with me.

If you go to the Florida departure boards, you will see lots of recommendations for accomodations in Ft. Lauderdale but we really like the Bahia Mar. It wasn't the cheapest option, but I loved the location, views, and beach. There were stores within walking distance to pick up any last minute supllies that you don't want to bring in your luggage from your hometown. My sister and I always buy sodas to take onboard since we like Mt. Dew and they don't sell that onboard.

We got very lucky with Princess because we booked a balcony guarantee and got upgraded shorlty beofre our cruise. We ended up with an extended balcony (on the 10th floor) that we loved.

Have fun planning your cruise. Once you know what port you'll be visiting you can get busy planning what to do in port. In Aruba, you can take a bus roundtrip for a little over $2.00 to the beach- a great value.

Boniare has the greatest snorkelling imaginable- we booked a tour with Woodwinds (you can find on the Bonaire boards).

The Emerald itinerary you are looking at is identical to what we took on the Star.

Have fun

I think it is cheaper to book flights on your own, especially since you are flying in a few days ahead (great idea)> Some sites offer a money back guarantee if a booked flight goes down in price (maybe Orbitz). I usually book a few months in advance at least because flights around spring break are always more expensive to Florida if you wait to long.

Just take a taxi to your hotel unless you can find a hotel you like with shuttle service.

We stayed at the Bahia Mar in Ft. Lauderdale. It was right on the beach (you a walkway that goes over the main road) and it had a nice marina on the other side. They offered a sail and stay package that provided transportation to the port and a free breakfast. We took a taxi from the airport to get there.

We got lucky, because the room they gave us had a great view of the beach to the left, the marina to the right, and the ship in the distance. It also has a nice pool on site.

On our return trip, we booked Princess transfers to the airport, but it would have been easier to just grab a taxi. I didn't want to put my carry on bag (with my camera and valuables) in the luggage hold area of the bus and it was quite difficult bringing it on the bus with me.

If you go to the Florida departure boards, you will see lots of recommendations for accomodations in Ft. Lauderdale but we really like the Bahia Mar. It wasn't the cheapest option, but I loved the location, views, and beach. There were stores within walking distance to pick up any last minute supllies that you don't want to bring in your luggage from your hometown. My sister and I always buy sodas to take onboard since we like Mt. Dew and they don't sell that onboard.

We got very lucky with Princess because we booked a balcony guarantee and got upgraded shorlty beofre our cruise. We ended up with an extended balcony (on the 10th floor) that we loved.

Have fun planning your cruise. Once you know what port you'll be visiting you can get busy planning what to do in port. In Aruba, you can take a bus roundtrip for a little over $2.00 to the beach- a great value.

Boniare has the greatest snorkelling imaginable- we booked a tour with Woodwinds (you can find on the Bonaire boards).

The Emerald itinerary you are looking at is identical to what we took on the Star.

Have fun

Thanks for all the great info! :) I know it is a long way off, but I love planning way ahead!

Archived