Caribbean Cruise...need input please!

emmysmom

I have just begun to research Caribbean cruises. :confused: We have cruised to Alaska five times...loved every cruise and the fact we have never had to fly to the ship since we live a few hours from Seattle.

Now we have decided to try something different and the Caribbean looks beautiful! :)

We are looking at March or April of 2013.....one cruise that interested us was the one out of Galveston, but then I started reading about the Eastern and Southern Caribbean cruises! So many choices!!!!

I need help! Since we will have to fly (and I have not flown for many, many years) I want to be sure to pick the right cruise.

Any experienced Caribbean cruisers have any advice? :D

If you cruise out of Galveston, make sure you take in to account the time/distance from the airport. It can be significant. This is why I take the cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale. The airport is very close to the pier in FLL. We prefer the southern and eastern Caribbean itineraries, too

The Caribbean is always beautiful and I've done it several times. If I was to pick one I'd pick a Southern or Eastern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale. Also, look at the 10 day Panama Canal round trip out of Fort Lauderdale. I'd pick an itinerary that includes St. Lucia which is my favorite. I'd avoid Jamaica (which I am going to on my next cruise, but will stay on the ship).

If you are flexible, I'd stay away from mid-April as that is vacation time for many schools and colleges. The Panama Canal suggestion is an excellent one. That would be my favorite although you really can't go wrong with any of them.

If you are flexible, I'd stay away from mid-April as that is vacation time for many schools and colleges. The Panama Canal suggestion is an excellent one. That would be my favorite although you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Is March a better time to go? To avoid the spring breakers that is. :)

Is March a better time to go? To avoid the spring breakers that is. :)
Yes. Or, early April. Also, a 10-day cruise will eliminate a lot of kids.

The Coral and Island cruise the Panama Canal and are a bit smaller (longer but narrower with fewer cabin decks) with a lot fewer passengers: 1,950 vs. 2,700-3,200. I much prefer these ships. :)

Easter is April 8 next year. Some schools will be closed, probably the week before Easter. But you can usually tell when they expect a lot of families to be cruising...The prices will be higher. If you choose the cruise with the lowest fare, you will have fewer children. That said, the last Princess cruise to the Caribbean leaves Apr. 22 from San Juan. There is one from FLL on Apr. 21. After that, the ships depart for Europe/Alaska. EM

If your in Forks we both fly out of Seatac. Flying to San Juan is a really long flight. I would do the 10 day out of Ft Lauderdale its still a long flight but better than San Juan. There are no nonstops that I know of unless you fly Alaska to Miami but the flights don't work very well for us. You really should fly a day ahead and get a hotel.

Going out of Galveston you fly to Houston. Alot shorter flight and cheaper but you have to shuttle to Galveston. Its about 45 min away (so I was told). Your also limited in which ships to pick. I think the only two are Carnival Magic and RCCL Mariner. Both will attract Spring break especially from the West Coast.

As for which Islands to see, I can say something good about all of them except Jamaica but some like it.

If your in Forks we both fly out of Seatac. Flying to San Juan is a really long flight. I would do the 10 day out of Ft Lauderdale its still a long flight but better than San Juan. There are no nonstops that I know of unless you fly Alaska to Miami but the flights don't work very well for us. You really should fly a day ahead and get a hotel.

Going out of Galveston you fly to Houston. Alot shorter flight and cheaper but you have to shuttle to Galveston. Its about 45 min away (so I was told). Your also limited in which ships to pick. I think the only two are Carnival Magic and RCCL Mariner. Both will attract Spring break especially from the West Coast.

As for which Islands to see, I can say something good about all of them except Jamaica but some like it.

Thanks for your reply ~ I was hoping we could fly non-stop to Ft. Lauderdale...oh well! :rolleyes: We are planning to fly in a day or two before the cruise anyway. The Eastern Caribbean on the Ruby has caught my eye, maybe mid March 2013? Have you cruised on this ship before?

We live near Seattle and are taking our first cruise to the Eastern Caribbean from Fort Lauderdale in January. After watching and comparing prices and airlines we decided to fly Delta since they had the best price and itinerary. We leave Seattle at 6:10 am and change planes in Atlanta. We arrive in Fort Lauderdale at 6:07 pm the night before our cruise. As for ticket prices, our tickets were $410.00 each but prices change frequently so you might do better.

Thanks for your reply ~ I was hoping we could fly non-stop to Ft. Lauderdale...oh well! :rolleyes: We are planning to fly in a day or two before the cruise anyway. The Eastern Caribbean on the Ruby has caught my eye, maybe mid March 2013? Have you cruised on this ship before?

Just and FYI, college spring break starts early March and goes just after Easter. As Pam mentioned, if you choose 10+ cruise, there will be less kids (older & younger). My favorite is the Eastern & Southern Caribbean, however, one of our best cruises was the Western............We're still waiting to do the Panama Canal. FLL is one of the best ports to leave from. Not so much from SanJuan.

If I had my choice, I would do the Southern route. I like the islands and activiites more. Eastern is my second choice and Western, although still good, is my third choice. I only did one Western cruise, but it was my least favoite cruise. I go for beaches and snorkeling. You also tend to get more islands or island time by doing the Southern route.

I work in a school so we always have to cruise when schools are on break . I've never had a problem with too many kids in the spring. Summer out of NYC is over run with kids! I've sailed the caribbean about 10 times and I have to say the southern route is my favorite, followed by Eastern. If I were you I'd sail out of florida and pick a cruise with the most port days (you can always stay on board and make your own sea day).

I think it depnds on what you are looking for. To me the Western cruises have a more "caribbean" feel to them, while the Eastern is more modern/Americanized. We do enjoy the Southern options best, which I think gives a mix of culture, scenery and safety. Having done both Caribbean and Alaska, I will draw your attention to the fact that Alaska is a very different type of cruise. When you are "at sea" in the Caribbean, you are really at sea--with no land in sight often. It is not the scenic inside passage. Getting to the Southern Carib-will require a day or two at sea either direction. Just something to keep in mind, although we love to have those days to unwind, it has a very different feel from Alaska (beside the temps obviously!). And just so you know, our schools break mid-March. You can usually tell which weeks are spring breaks as they will be more expensive. Have a great trip!

I'll add my two cents for what it's worth:

I LOVE the 10 day Eastern Caribbean Voyager route that the Emerald is going to be doing -- booked it for the second time this coming January!

Although on a 10 day cruise it probably won't be much of a problem, I would avoid March and April due to Spring Break if I was flexible enough.

I would sail out of Ft. Lauderdale because it is so easy and convenient! Be sure to fly in a day in advance!! Does SWA fly between Seattle and FLL -- that's where we usually get the best prices and if the fare goes down, you can get the lower fare and have the overage on account with them.

I would choose a Southern or Eastern itinerary. The ports south of San Juan are beautiful and many have rainforests, waterfalls and nature hiking. San Juan itself is a wonderful city and we have been lucky enough to visit there 4 or 5 times. There is a lot to do and see there.

The Eastern itinerary almost always includes St. Thomas which we also love. The island is very beautiful and Charlotte Emilie is within walking distance of the port. There is a lot of history and culture within the small city and then there is lush green and the beautiful beach of Megans Bay. If you like to shop, this is the place.

The other islands we have visited on an Eastern itinerary, are more "citified" than on the Southern itinerary. Such as Barbados, St. Martin and Antigua. The eastern Itinerary usually includes a "beach day" at the cruise ships private island. We aren't sun worshippers but this is a fun day.

(Some of the Eastern itineraries also include San Juan)

It's true if you fly from Seattle to San Juan it is a long flight, but only about 3 hours longer than Ft. Lauderdale. When going that far what's 3 hours? :)

Previous posters are correct that this is a much different cruise than Alaska. You are waaaay out in the middle of the ocean and most do include one or two at sea days. It will also be hot and humid even in March or April. We were in San Juan last March and it was in the upper 80's.

Also, I didn't check on the Princess website, but in 2009, we took a Princess 10 day Princess cruise that left from New York. It went to Bermuda which was beautiful, St. Thomas, Grand Turk and a couple of other islands(don't remember). The nice thing about this cruise other than the cruise itself, is that we spent a few days in New York after the cruise which was a lot of fun.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time regardless of what you choose.

Hi , we have done the Caribbean a few times and always love it. But I agree with most of the postings on this thread , stay clear of the March and April cruises the spring break time. Not only will the cruise be less frantic, but the airports are impacted then as well , it can be bad at some of the airports with all the spring breakers. You can do Feb. or May for the Caribbean weathers great and less busy. We have done the Eastern and the Souther and I like both, but always go out of Fort Lauderdale for the convience, we live in Los Angeles, the Red Eye from LA , works good. Perhaps the same might work from Seattle.

Have a great cruise.

Cori

I am so thankful for all your replies....I am learning so much! :) It is very much appreciated. I have alot of homework to study!!! :rolleyes: This is much different than picking an Alaskan cruise ~ alot more choices!

We have always had a mini-suite on our Alaskan cruises. One thing I have noticed is the price difference between the Caribbean and Alaska! I think we will probably do a inside or oceanview this time, since we will have airfare to pay for and hope for an upgrade.

We were really hoping to do this in mid to late April 2013, due to our jobs. Does Princess have Caribbean cruises in May?

I am so thankful for all your replies....I am learning so much! :) It is very much appreciated. I have alot of homework to study!!! :rolleyes: This is much different than picking an Alaskan cruise ~ alot more choices!

We have always had a mini-suite on our Alaskan cruises. One thing I have noticed is the price difference between the Caribbean and Alaska! I think we will probably do a inside or oceanview this time, since we will have airfare to pay for and hope for an upgrade.

We were really hoping to do this in mid to late April 2013, due to our jobs. Does Princess have Caribbean cruises in May?

Here's my suggestion for a mid April 2013 departing on Emerald Princess:

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida -- 05:00 PM

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 At Sea -- --

Thursday, April 18, 2013 At Sea -- --

Friday, April 19, 2013 Aruba, Aruba 08:00 AM 07:00 PM

Saturday, April 20, 2013 Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles 07:00 AM 02:00 PM

Sunday, April 21, 2013 Grenada, Grenada 12:00 PM 07:00 PM

Monday, April 22, 2013 Dominica, Dominica 07:00 AM 04:00 PM

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, U.s.a. 08:00 AM 05:00 PM

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 At Sea -- --

Thursday, April 25, 2013 Princess Cays, Bahamas 09:00 AM 04:00 PM

Friday, April 26, 2013 Fort Lauderdale, Florida 07:00 AM

Spend a few day in Ft. Lauderdale prior to the cruise. Sail into the deep Caribbean ports of Aruba and Bonaire, visit the US Virgin Island and the last day at Princess Cays (Princess own island resort). I really don't think it can get any better. Just my two cents.

I don't see any listing beyond April. Most ship's reposition to Alaska or Europe starting in May. Caribbean is much cheaper due to more competition, longer cruise season than Alaska. Outside cabin is all you need since you have airfare to FLL.

Pezdudeswie and Emmysmom. Rates can be terrible out of Seatac. I have seen 4-500 as the norm. A sale would be just under 300. I try and fly American as they usually connect out of Dallas. In Jan. you have a better chance of not getting snowed in vs. connecting out of Chicago/ NY/ St Louis and Atlanta. I think Continental connects out of Houston. Delta has always been pricey. Southwest is my favorite but they aren't the cheap fares they used to be. Spring break flights should be booked asap as they usually book up fast like a holiday. Southwest won't have April scheduled for awhile so it never hurts to watch now. Lousy flight prices can nix a good cruise deal. I still think a 10 day around Spring break would be the best. Flights mid week won't have the Spring breakers as much. Business travel will be down too. Remember you are comparing flights out of Seattle and not the rest of the country. Spring break is always later on the West Coast.

Emmysmom,

The itinerary Comboy has suggested sounds wonderful! I'ts kind of the best of everything. Haven't been to Aruba yet(going in November), Granada and Dominica are both lush, green and rainforest islands. If you go to Dominica, be sure to take a Bumpiing Tour with Levi. It was a phenomenal day with him!! Grenada is also awesome. St.Thomas is great for history and culture and SHOPPING. Princess Cays is a great beach day. It all sounds great!

The only thing I would disagree with is an OV room VS. a balcony. I find that we spend a great deal of time on our balcony when in the Caribbean. It's quiet, and comfortable. If you're going with other people however, you probably would spend time together and not so much time on the balcony.

Archived