Cigar Question

Please understand that I am seeking information here, not judgement. I only smoke my cigars in designated areas and am considerate of those around me.

I just read on another thread regarding Concierge tipping a post by Stones902 regarding having a cigar cutter taken by security. Has anyone else experienced this? If Stones902 is reading this, what type of cutter was it and what were the circumstances. I fly 50,000+ miles a year and TSA has never given me any problem with my cutter (a slide by-pass type cutter). I can't really see how they would think of a cutter as a "weapon". At most you might be able to hold someone down and trim the end of their finger.

On a similar note, has anyone had any issues with cigar lighters (torch type, not Bic type)? TSA did take mine once and it was right next to my cutter.

Thanks,

Richard

Have you seen Darkman? Creepy cigar cutter scene. :)

I had a torch lighter taken away shortly after 9/11. As far as TSA is concerned, lighters and cutters are fine as long as they're checked in. I imagine you should leave them in check in at the pier also to be on the safe side. The should make it to you cabin without incident.

Rich

Please understand that I am seeking information here, not judgement. I only smoke my cigars in designated areas and am considerate of those around me.

I just read on another thread regarding Concierge tipping a post by Stones902 regarding having a cigar cutter taken by security. Has anyone else experienced this? If Stones902 is reading this, what type of cutter was it and what were the circumstances. I fly 50,000+ miles a year and TSA has never given me any problem with my cutter (a slide by-pass type cutter). I can't really see how they would think of a cutter as a "weapon". At most you might be able to hold someone down and trim the end of their finger.

On a similar note, has anyone had any issues with cigar lighters (torch type, not Bic type)? TSA did take mine once and it was right next to my cutter.

Thanks,

Richard

Hello Richard,

Admittedly, the cutter I was using is one that is incorporated into a Wenger pocket knife. Even though the main blade on my knife is less than 4" (thus technically permissible), ship security confisgated it when I was returning on board from Labadee. I'll be the first to admit that I should not have brought it and I don't blame security for doing their job. It was simply an oversight on my part as I am used to travelling with my pocket knife / cigar cutter.

opplanet-wenger-swiss-army-pocket-knife-cigar-cutter.jpg

As you know, a good cutter can cause a lot of damage if someone wants to take it apart or do harm. That being said, I think for travel the best thing is to just purchase a couple of those cheap plastic $1 cutters so that you don't have to worry about it if security decides it's a risk.

Hope this helps.

I always take cigars, torches, and cutters on every cruise.

HOWEVER......:eek:.

They are in checked luggage - never try to take a lighter or any type of "cutter" on a plane and then complain..... just don't do it. ;)

Hope This Helps.

I always take cigars, torches, and cutters on every cruise.

HOWEVER......:eek:.

They are in checked luggage - never try to take a lighter or any type of "cutter" on a plane and then complain..... just don't do it. ;)

Hope This Helps.

i always pack in checked bags.

Agreed, I bring my materials in checked luggage on all flights. In this instance I carried the pocketknife / cutter off on Labadee in lieu of my cheap cutter. Obviously a mistake on my part. Just wasn't thinking straight that day.

On a side note, I don't understand the whole knife thing on cruise ships. Anyone could take a 6" steak knife from one of the restaurants on board so what is the big deal?

As you know, a good cutter can cause a lot of damage if someone wants to take it apart or do harm.

When the overpowering urge for me to do harm hits me, I usually take a steak knife from the main dining room to accomplish my mission.:eek:

Agreed, I bring my materials in checked luggage on all flights. In this instance I carried the pocketknife / cutter off on Labadee in lieu of my cheap cutter. Obviously a mistake on my part. Just wasn't thinking straight that day.

On a side note, I don't understand the whole knife thing on cruise ships. Anyone could take a 6" steak knife from one of the restaurants on board so what is the big deal?

When the overpowering urge for me to do harm hits me, I usually take a steak knife from the main dining room to accomplish my mission.:eek:

It only takes ONE IDIOT to mess it up for all of us. ;)

...As far as TSA is concerned, lighters and cutters are fine as long as they're checked in...
According to http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_lighters.html "you can carry certain lighters onboard. Although most lighters are banned from checked luggage, some are allowed under the terms of Special Permits" It sounds to me that TSA allows you to carry a lighter on your person or in your carry-on bag, but not [as a general rule] put a lighter in checked luggage. I'm either misunderstanding, or this is the opposite of what I think you said.

Thom

According to http://safetravel.dot.gov/index_lighters.html "you can carry certain lighters onboard. Although most lighters are banned from checked luggage, some are allowed under the terms of Special Permits" It sounds to me that TSA allows you to carry a lighter on your person or in your carry-on bag, but not [as a general rule] put a lighter in checked luggage. I'm either misunderstanding, or this is the opposite of what I think you said.

Thom

Colibri or one of the other manufacturers makes a special TSA approved lighter carrier designed for your checked luggage. They are fairly large and I have never purchased one due to the fact that they consume so much space but they are commercially available.

Colibri or one of the other manufacturers makes a special TSA approved lighter carrier designed for your checked luggage. They are fairly large and I have never purchased one due to the fact that they consume so much space but they are commercially available.

I bought one. I'm a sucker for gadgets - pocket humidors, keychain cutter, golf bag cigar holder, etc. Of course, it was right after I had my fave torch lighter confiscated by TSA when I had it in my pocket (before all the rules were clear.) I used the lighter container twice but haven't for years. They just don't care as long as it's checked in.

Rich

Thanks, for the feedback. Generally, TSA allows you to carry a lighter on as long as its not a "torch" type lighter. Baggage is another story and even the TSA is sketchy on this. The one time my lighter was taken, the TSA officer offered to let me go back and put it in my checked luggage which as pointed out above isn't allowed either without the special case. However, when traveling on business, I rarely have checked luggage and I turned it over to him with no incident (it was a cheap torch lighter that had served me well for over three years and a vetran of dozens of flights). Since then, I just carry a Bic lighter on business travel and hope its not windy.

Archived