EL CONVENTO - tell me about it, I plan to book 2 nights there

cheaptravel

We will be staying in Old San Juan for 2 nights prior to cruising and plan to spend the whole time in OSJ. I am leaning towards El Convento over the Sheraton OSJ because we want the full feeling of being in Puerto Rico, and the reviews of El Convento sound lovely. I have read many times that the overall feel of Sheraton OSJ is more of that of a business hotel, albeit a nice one.

Please, anyone that has stayed at El Convento, please share your opinions of this hotel, it's rooms, bars, dining, upkeep, location and anything else you can add.

This historic spot gets little attention on the Ports forum !!

Unfortunately, we didn't get to stay there but we did have a fantastic lunch. The restaurant is in a courtyard area and the setting is so peaceful, relaxing and cool. It was so nice to take a break from the heat and crowds. I had a delicious gazpacho(sp?) (cold tomato soup) It was so fresh tasting. After not have a fresh garden tomato for months it was wonderful.

The staff we encountered was very friendly and the atmosphere couldn't be beat! I would definitely stay there next time we're in San Juan!

Although it's been several years we have stayed at El Convento twice. Excellent service, charming rooms and a great location. The hotel restaurants are good and there are a number of great choices nearby. We've stayed at a lot of nice places and El Convento would surely rank at or near the top of the list.

Haven't stayed there but definitely would. We stopped in to see courtyard & hotel while on a walking around OSJ on a cruise stop!!! Amazing place with much history!!! Stay there and then post back here to tell us all about it!

That's a great idea ! :)

We stayed there before our Adventure cruise a couple of years ago. By far one of our favorite experiences. I recommend it to everyone. We are hoping to stay there again next March before our Serenade cruise.

It's an old convent and the rooms have large wood furnishings, wood floors and actually use keys...not magnetic cards. There are slippers in every room as well as bose sound systems. At dusk they have complimentary wines and cheeses on a balcony overlooking OSJ.

It does cost a little more than other hotels but totally worth it, in my opinion.

Ann

We stayed at El Convento three nights pre cruise for our honeymoon in '08. Wonderful place. They have a small rooftop pool and hot tub which was never very crowded while we were there. The nightly wine and cheese reception was lovely, and everyone on the staff was friendly and accomodating. Highly recommended! We will be in San Juan again this November traveling with a group and will be taking them to see/dine at the courtyard.

Based on the reviews, we have decided to stay at the El Convento in Old San Juan. I'm sure all of the rooms are fine, but are there any in particular that have an outstanding view or amenities (other than the suites).

Thanks,

Joanne

Thank-you for the additional great reviews. I can get a room for 2 nights at $195 per night with AARP, but then when they tack on the taxes and "resort fee," it came to over $500 !!! I'm surprised about the resort fee with just a tiny pool and no beach. Will have to do a bit more thinking.

Do the rooms have TV 's ? (lol - not that it's gonna sway my decision !)

I forgot to mention that if you want the resort/beach experience, you can get a letter from the concierge that let's you visit La Concha (in Condado) or Isla Verde Beach Resort, use their pools, etc and charge food and stuff back to your room at El Convento. We took advantage of this one day of our stay.

And yes, there is a flat panel tv in the room. :)

• 9 months later...

Any updates on this boutique hotel is OSJ? I reserved 1 night pre-cruise, considering updating to 2 nights, and Sunday morning attending mass, then leave out of Carnival's pier in OSJ.

Also, does anyone know the time for masses are at The Cathedral of San Juan Bautista?

Any updates on this boutique hotel is OSJ? I reserved 1 night pre-cruise, considering updating to 2 nights, and Sunday morning attending mass, then leave out of Carnival's pier in OSJ.

Also, does anyone know the time for masses are at The Cathedral of San Juan Bautista?

Here is an e-mail address.

You can write and ask. :)

LuisNieves@catedralsanjuan.com

I got it by googling.

Sail7Seas, We stayed at the Sheraton, pre cruise. The hotel held our suitcases and We were able to get up have breakfast at La Bombonera and make it to 11:00am mass at the Cathedral. Check the Cathedral's website for more current times. Hope this helps. Enjoy.

We have stayed at both El Convento and the Sheraton OSJ..... both stays were pre-cruise.

If you want the "Puerto Rico feeling" spring for the El Convento. There is something about walking thru the large wooden door where you get the feeling you just walked back 350+ years........ the courtyard has a picateo tree that is as old as the convent........ the rooms are small (it was a convent :) ) but decorated elegantly and true to Puerto Rico. The staff is great and the restaurant is a real treat. We love to sit in the courtyard and enjoy tapas and mojitos with the tiny lights and candles flickering...... after a long day of walking, exploring and shopping.

The Sheraton is ok. Our room was nothing special.....comfy bed. Checking in and checking out was a zoo tho..... and after finally finding where breakfast was served - we found it closed :(

I thought I would come back and update my previous post on this thread...

We returned to San Juan in March of this year and yes, we did stay at El Convento again. It is just as beautiful as when we stayed there in 2011.

It is definitely what we call a "boutique" hotel. Meaning the rooms are small, but very confortable. It was an old convent afterall!

They have a free wine and cheese gathering on their outdoor balcony area near the rooms every evening about sunset. We loved that! We also very much enjoyed the tapas restaurant for dinner. It is elevated above the beautiful courtyard that fills up the center of the hotel. For breakfast, we walked to El Bombanero for a famous majorca.

We asked about storing our luggage on cruise day, and were told we could just stay in our room if we wanted and just get everything out when we were ready to leave... OR they could store it for us.

When we returned the following Saturday, we stored our luggage for $5 (or whatever you want to tip) at La Barrachina.

We stayed here before our Serenade cruise that went to St. Kitts, Barbados, Dominica, St. Maarten and Tortolla. We figured we would get plenty of beach time on these beautiful islands, so we opted to pass on the beach while in San Juan.

Yes - this place is a bit pricy, but it is in a great location if you want to be in the heart of Old San Juan. If you want to be on the beach - you might want to consider another property.

Ann

Thank you for the updates. I booked 1 night pre-cruise but may add a second night. Once I book our outbound flight, I will confirm and book a second night if needed here.

One of the reasons why we want to stay in OSJ is because we are going on a 5 island itinerary through the Southern Caribbean and also feel that there will be plenty of beach time there, would like a nice quiet, quant hotel to enjoy Old San Juan sites and forts, as well as the shopping and outlet stores, and, like I said earlier, walking distance to the Cathedral on Sunday morning, as well as walking distance to Barrachina and Bombanero.

The hotel sounds perfect. One question, they do have a working elevator and air conditioning, I'm sure, I think I read that? One of the disadvantages of staying at other OSJ boutique hotels is that they don't have elevators, something to seriously consider when dragging around luggage and assisting my elderly parents.

Thank you for the updates. I booked 1 night pre-cruise but may add a second night. Once I book our outbound flight, I will confirm and book a second night if needed here.

One of the reasons why we want to stay in OSJ is because we are going on a 5 island itinerary through the Southern Caribbean and also feel that there will be plenty of beach time there, would like a nice quiet, quant hotel to enjoy Old San Juan sites and forts, as well as the shopping and outlet stores, and, like I said earlier, walking distance to the Cathedral on Sunday morning, as well as walking distance to Barrachina and Bombanero.

The hotel sounds perfect. One question, they do have a working elevator and air conditioning, I'm sure, I think I read that? One of the disadvantages of staying at other OSJ boutique hotels is that they don't have elevators, something to seriously consider when dragging around luggage and assisting my elderly parents.

They have elevators and air conditioning in every room. Not to worry. Enjoy the trip

Archived