David in Florence

Vegastime

I am going to be in Florence on a Monday this August when the museum that has David is closed. I saw on another post about getting on a waitlist for that day, even though the museum is closed.

Does anybody have any info on how to see this when the museum is closed?

Never heard of a waitlist but maybe someone else knows. Not that it would be any consolation but there are 2 replica statues in Florence; Palazzo Vecchio between the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio and one above the downtown in Palazzo Michelangelo. Seen them all, the replicas are good but of course nothing replaces the real thing.

This was a post in the roll call section by Doxiesrule.

"My 26 year old daughter (this is a law school grad celebration trip!) and I are on the wait list to get into the museum to see The David. Since it is a Monday, the museum is closed to the general public - if anyone has room on their private tour in Florence, please let me know!"

I can't seem to find any info.

Princess put us on the "wait-list" for their shore excursion to the Accadamia Museum. They wrote that if people cancel once onboard then we will be notified, otherwise, we have booked the Day on Your Own in Pisa and Florence! Hope this helps!:rolleyes:

David is an amazing work and its a bummer that the Academia is closed during your visit. However, if you can swallow your desire to see the original, there is an excellent replica in the Piazza della Signoria where it has stood over this wonderful Piazza for over 100 years. A benefit of the replica is that its in the heart of the normal tourist neighborhood (the Academia is a bit out of the way) and its free.

Hank

I have seen the replicas, and they are just not the same. So it's worth coming back to Florence to see the original when you can. See everything else that you can on the Monday - there is plenty else to see. But do come back another time for David. He is definitely worth it.

I am going to be in Florence on a Monday this August when the museum that has David is closed. I saw on another post about getting on a waitlist for that day, even though the museum is closed.

Does anybody have any info on how to see this when the museum is closed?

Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 8:15 to 18:50; closed on Monday.

How would you see it when the museum is closed? That thing is almost impossible to move.

Opening hours: Tuesday to Sunday: 8:15 to 18:50; closed on Monday.

How would you see it when the museum is closed? That thing is almost impossible to move.

almost? :D

To the OP: It sounds like the poster you quoted clarified that the cruiseline tour has access on a Monday when the museum is closed to the general public. I don't believe any private tour would be able to get you in. In fact, I'm not sure if I believe that the ship's tour will get you in. In some places they will open specially for cruise excursions, but I cannot recall reading that this has happened in Florence.

Perhaps if someone HAS experienced seeing David (the original in the Accademia) on a Monday, they will post here and share their experience.

Archived