New England hot dog?

Seabreeze8

Definitely try the "red hot dogs". They are very red, and the natural casing gives a great "snap" when you bite into it. Nice and juicy, too. They come in all kinds of buns, depending on where you buy them. When ever we have visitors from away, red hot dogs are one of the first things they want (after lobster, of course).

If you are really adventurous, wash it down with Moxie. It's another "Maine" thing............it's a soda, like coke, only it's not sweet.

Oh ya..................dessert. Have a Whoopie Pie, it's the Maine dessert.

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

Sounds good

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Definitely try the "red hot dogs". They are very red, and the natural casing gives a great "snap" when you bite into it. Nice and juicy, too. They come in all kinds of buns, depending on where you buy them. When ever we have visitors from away, red hot dogs are one of the first things they want (after lobster, of course).

If you are really adventurous, wash it down with Moxie. It's another "Maine" thing............it's a soda, like coke, only it's not sweet.

Oh ya..................dessert. Have a Whoopie Pie, it's the Maine dessert.

Hmmmm. Now I'm hungry!

I will have to try it .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I'm from Boston and I've never hear of a red hot dog. Is this just added food coloring?

The biggest difference is the roll. New England style hot dog buns are split top with just a thin crust on the top alongside the split. As opposed to weiner rolls in the rest of the country where they're side split and the crust is all over.

New England rolls are great for buttering and grilling, because the sides are crustless...more like bread.

I'm from Boston and I've never hear of a red hot dog. Is this just added food coloring?

Hopefully the link works - a red hot dog is a Maine tradition that everyone grew up with -

http://www.google.com/images?q=red%20hot%20dogs%20maine&hl=en&gbv=2&gs_l=hp.3..0j0i22.609.7156.0.7625.22.22.0.0.0.0.219.3296.0j19j3.22.0...0.0.yVAVTMGH-_g&sa=X&oi=image_result_group

Not sure if this is what you are referring to, but the Rhode Island exclusive "New York System Hot Weiner" may be the hot dog you are referring to.

Sold (exclusivly?) in Rhode Island they are available in hot weiner shops / restaurants. Olnyville New York System is known to be the best of the best, but is up in Cranston / Providence, a little bit of a hike for one.

Near Newport pier, there are a few shops, ask a local and they can point you to one not far fro Thames.

Also (semi) exclusive to the RI stop, take a look at

Autocrat coffee milk

Dels Frozen Lemonade

Bakery Pizza (bread with sauce)

Doughboys

Also, known for Clam cakes and chowder, lobster rolls, and jonny cakes.

There is even a Facebook and other web pages dedicated to Food found only in RI.

Enjoy your time and dine!

This weekend we had: Jordans Red dogs, baked beans, brown bread in a can, fiddle heads, strawberry rubarb pie....Boom!!:)

Not much more Maine that that - No Moxie or whoopie pies??? (PS - I have the best recipe for Maine blueberry pie in the whole world!!) Jan

Not much more Maine that that - No Moxie or whoopie pies??? (PS - I have the best recipe for Maine blueberry pie in the whole world!!) Jan

Haha, I'm actually trying to cut out soda totally, but when I do have one it's either Mountain Dew or Moxie. Pretty sure Moxie is drank only in Maine now, I don't ever see it south of Kittery;)

Fiddlehead season is almost past, get'em while you can!:)

Archived