What are Azamara doing about strike in Piraeus?

Joecors

...it's important to a number of cruisers visiting Greece in the next couple of months.

Following is an article that appeared in the Sunday Times Travel yesterday:-

"Greek cab drivers have said they will end the 3 week strike that has paralysed taxi services across the entire country, blockaded ports and airports, and seen violent clashes between drivers and riot police. Last week, the Foreign Office issued a travel warning after tear gas was fired during a demonstration at Heraklion airport,in Crete, advising holidaymakers to “exercise caution when using the airport”, but following meetings with the Greek govt., taxi union leader Thymios Lyberopolous said he would call for the end of industrial action. The announcement is a convenient cover for a climb-down by the drivers, who are protesting against the deregulation of their industry that will see the price of licences – which holders can sell on to new cabbies for as much as 2000,000 euros – drastically reduced. Many drivers see their licence as their retirement fund and say deregulation will render that investment worthless, but with the summer season approaching the halfway point, the strikers are now keen to get back to work and make up lost income. On the Aegean islands of Lesbos, Mykonos, Rhodes, Kos and Santorini, taxis are already back on the road."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quoting from the article

“The strikers are now keen to get back to work and make up lost income”

so-o-o, please give generously when tipping Greek taxi drivers (Only joking!!!)

this is our first cruise with Azamara...we leave Sept 10th on the Quest....and I had NO clue about any blockade!!!! We are being picked up by Azamara transportation Friday morning....but how will we know if the ship can't get in/out??? Was/will Azamara call us before we leave?????? OR should I call THEM Thursday afternoon....I'm getting a bit nervous!:confused: Opps! my cruise clock is WRONG...we leave on 9/10 not the 1st!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My previous message may bring you some cheer, but wait for Bill's official response before uncorking the champagne!

The taxi owners have stated that they have agreed to end their strike pending the governments's bill concerning this matter toward the end of August. They also stated that if they are still unsatisfied with the government's decision, they will resume the strike Septmember 5th. The Greek government contracted with China in running the Pireaus port so it should remain open. If there is a taxi strike going on September 10th, I would hope Azamara will take steps to accomodate their passengers getting to and from the port to airport and hotels.

"see the price of licences – which holders can sell on to new cabbies for as much as 2000,000 euros –"

should read "200,000"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and thanks Surreal, things still look quite fluid!

• 2 weeks later...

Bill

PLease advise what is the latest on the Piraeus Port dispute

We are due to embark on a cruise with ACC in the next few weeks where we disembark (hopefully) at Piraeus.

Failure to do so will have a profound effect on our post-cruise family, business and social arrangements. I would therefore appreciate your advising what contingency measures ACC propose if strike action prohibits disembarkation and transportation to the airport.

Bill

PLease advise what is the latest on the Piraeus Port dispute

We are due to embark on a cruise with ACC in the next few weeks where we disembark (hopefully) at Piraeus.

Failure to do so will have a profound effect on our post-cruise family, business and social arrangements. I would therefore appreciate your advising what contingency measures ACC propose if strike action prohibits disembarkation and transportation to the airport.

I would like a response on this matter also. I've contacted the company I've made reservations with for pickup at Piraeus and been assured they will be there but I do believe Azamara owes their passengers reassurance they will not be abandoned to fend for themselves without notice at Piraeus. From what I've read and been told, the chance of a taxi strike is less than 50% but it could happen. The metro or bus is not a good choice for some.

I do believe Azamara owes their passengers reassurance they will not be abandoned to fend for themselves without notice at Piraeus.

So do I!! Will the onboard staff once more show the difference between the service provided by them and the on-shore staff?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

The metro or bus is not a good choice for some.[/quote]

Nor for me!!

I would like a response on this matter also. I've contacted the company I've made reservations with for pickup at Piraeus and been assured they will be there but I do believe Azamara owes their passengers reassurance they will not be abandoned to fend for themselves without notice at Piraeus. From what I've read and been told, the chance of a taxi strike is less than 50% but it could happen. The metro or bus is not a good choice for some.

Hello Joecors, surreal and others –

I have checked again with our port operations team for an update about the Piraeus situation. As of this date, none of the Royal Caribbean brands have encountered issues in Piraeus.

I understand your concern about being “abandoned” and finding yourselves on your own to make it to the pier. We will have a contingency plan; however, specific details can’t really be made until we know IF and WHAT is going to happen - different situations will require different solutions. For example, the taxis may strike but we can still operate tour buses....

I’ll be checking with port operations and will update you if I learn of more information.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

I’ll be checking with port operations and will update you if I learn of more information.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Thank you Bill for responding. Knowing that ACC is watching and willing to respond to our concerns is reassuring. We'll relax and enjoy the cruise and all points it takes us too. :-)

I have checked again with our port operations team for an update about the Piraeus situation. As of this date, none of the Royal Caribbean brands have encountered issues in Piraeus.

I understand your concern about being “abandoned” and finding yourselves on your own to make it to the pier. We will have a contingency plan; however, specific details can’t really be made until we know IF and WHAT is going to happen - different situations will require different solutions. For example, the taxis may strike but we can still operate tour buses....

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Please keep in mind that we are each facing different situations. Ours is that we are DISEMBARKING at Piraeus but need to get to the Athens airport in a timely fashion for a morning flight out. That's a time-sensitive issue.

Note: most of us posting on this thread are on the cruise that disembarks at Piraeus on Sept. 10th but we are headed to different places.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi Bill,

This needs to be revisited and thought out more carefully by Azamara. Would the cruise line have a back-up plan to switch ports? Are the tour buses or drivers union?

I have found out recently that if one union strikes, often other unions will refuse to cross another unions picket line. When Verizon had a strike recently, UPS would not deliver packages to any of their buildings. Union buildings would not allow non union workers into the buildings to fix any problems.

I had not been paying much attention to this thread until I contacted our private driver in Athens. We are scheduled to both embark and disembark in Piraeus at the end of October. Because we are flying in a couple of days early we have contracted for 4 days of service, including airport pick-up and a private full day tour to Delphi. The only reason that we are not using Azamara's tour/transfer when we disembark is because our flight is at about 2:00PM, and while the cruise line requires flights after 3:30PM our private driver actually recommended a tour before being dropped off at the airport.

In any event, this driver can not offer us service if his union goes on strike. At that point I would be looking to Azamara for a transfer to the port as well and definitely for a transfer to the airport after our cruise.

Azamara needs to find out if the bus drivers you use are part of a union, etc., rather than just saying so far there has been no problem since they are currently not on strike.

Still staying optimistic!!

Optimism is good as we approach sail date. :)

Azamara has to get people off the Quest and see what it can do to get the next batch on.:eek:

No one knows for sure what the taxi drivers are going to do now and that is the truth.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, Athens taxi drivers are among my least favourite people. This is the result of a lot of really uneven experiences over the years.

Whatever can be done in the event of a strike Azamara will do it and I am sure everyone will make there way to the ship.

It will be an experience.

A taxi strike will be on in Athens Sept 10 to the delight of embarking and disembarking pax.:eek:

Does anyone know if Azamara has made any comments respecting how this will affect operations?

No, but I was already going to ask our scheduled driver (October) directly whether it is similar to the US where one union will not cross another unions picket lines, etc. and what our options might be.

A taxi strike will be on in Athens Sept 10 to the delight of embarking and disembarking pax.:eek:

Does anyone know if Azamara has made any comments respecting how this will affect operations?

Hello Strike Followers -

As was mentioned there is a threat of a strike for Saturday, September 10 when the Azamara Quest is in Piraeus. Our Port Agent believes that it is more than likely that it will occur, although there is still a chance it will be called off.

So to be prepared, I have been advised the following: for those guests disembarking additional buses have been secured for transfers to the airport and downtown. The Metro system and public bus system are not affected so some guests may use these services too.

For embarking guests, there will be extra buses at the airport for any cruise-only guests who would like to purchase a transfer to the ship.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hello Strike Followers -

As was mentioned there is a threat of a strike for Saturday, September 10 when the Azamara Quest is in Piraeus. Our Port Agent believes that it is more than likely that it will occur, although there is still a chance it will be called off.

So to be prepared, I have been advised the following: for those guests disembarking additional buses have been secured for transfers to the airport and downtown. The Metro system and public bus system are not affected so some guests may use these services too.

For embarking guests, there will be extra buses at the airport for any cruise-only guests who would like to purchase a transfer to the ship.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I don't see that you can do much else. :)

I agree that the strike will not be called off - not a chance. It is set against broad labour (and even professional) unrest. It is not an action resulting from the negotiation of a collective agreement.

People will be boarding the Quest a little earlier than usual (perhaps), as taxis are not available and hotel livery and private minibus operators are limited and the best transfer times will be taken up first, then earlier and earlier.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

One more thing, I should add that for those using the metro or public transport, to be aware of pickpockets. They are as professional as they get in Athens, they target tourists and the airport metro is their favourite. Just to give you an idea, a colleague put his hand in his front right pocket to remove his wallet to find a pickpocket had his hand in there too with the same intention. Forewarned is forearmed.

... at Piraeus yesterday and the only evidence of the strike was the absence of taxis. A note was distributed on maybe 8th or 9th advising guests of the fact and offering to help, with presumably coaches, for guests who were spending some time in Athens. We already had transfers to the airport but were happy to see that there was no picketing of the ship. As a guest on that cruise and a firthcoming one in and out of Piraeus in October, I was quite impressed with the manner in which it was handled. Full marks for ACC.

... at Piraeus yesterday and the only evidence of the strike was the absence of taxis. A note was distributed on maybe 8th or 9th advising guests of the fact and offering to help, with presumably coaches, for guests who were spending some time in Athens. We already had transfers to the airport but were happy to see that there was no picketing of the ship. As a guest on that cruise and a firthcoming one in and out of Piraeus in October, I was quite impressed with the manner in which it was handled. Full marks for ACC.

Hello Joecors -

Welcome home!

Thank you for your “eyewitness” report of the well-executed disembarkation you experienced from the Azamara Quest in Piraeus on September 10th, in spite of the taxi strike on that day.

I’ll be sure to share your positive comments with the officers and staff onboard.

Thank you for your loyalty to Azamara Club Cruises and the Azamara team looks forward to welcoming back on board in October.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Hi there,

Our cruise on the Quest ended on September 10 in Athens. We had the excursion booked that takes you from the port to the Acropolis with hotel drop off at City Center. NO PROBLEMS. At Syntagma Square, we had to walk 2 short blocks to our hotel(due to no taxi's). We had arranged with our hotel to have a driver take us to the airport very early on the 11th for our flight out. Again, no problems.

We heard that there was some sort of civil protest at Syntagma Square, but if there was one, it didn't affect us. We had a great day, walked quite a bit, had a nice dinner and left to go home without any difficulties!

Terri

Archived