What are Azamara doing about strike in Piraeus?

Joecors

The Sunday Times today reports that:-

"Blockades have prevented cruise ships from entering the harbour at Piraeus"

The Crest has a busy program during August, September and October that involves Piraeus. Does Az. have a contingency plan to overcome this?

In addition, the Times reports that "the unrest has spread to the islands e.g. Corfu and Crete" and this presumably could affect tours.

Have re-addressed the title which was "Piraeus Embarkation/Re-embakation" as the logistic that this problem (if the Sunday Times report is true), could if it continues, present a nightmare for Az.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Crest has a busy program during August, September and October that involves Piraeus. Does Az. have a contingency plan to overcome this?

In addition, the Times reports that "the unrest has spread to the islands e.g. Corfu and Crete" and this presumably could affect tours.

Have re-addressed the title which was "Piraeus Embarkation/Re-embakation" as the logistic that this problem (if the Sunday Times report is true), could if it continues, present a nightmare for Az.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Joecors -

I’ll get back to you and the other Azamara followers about the situation in Piraeus.

As I mentioned earlier, the Royal Caribbean Corporation maintains a Global Security department which serves the company’s three brands. They are monitoring this situation as well as any others that may unfold.

In today’s world, one must expect the unexpected.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Hello Joecors & Cardonacasa –

I want to let you know that our Global Security department is monitoring the situation in Greece 24/7. Our operations department will make alternative arrangements if a port is not available. The decision to implement the alternate plan is normally made 12-24 hours before the port of call if we find out a strike is organized.

I’ll be following the situation with Operations and keep you updated.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

....please keep us posted on what contingency measures will be taken for onward transportation if we disembark at an alternative port. Some of us have flights booked through Az. from Athens to LHR but I know through the "meet and mingle" thread that some from the U.S, have booked accomodation in Athens prior to returning home.

Offering some hope:-The Siversea site refers to one cruise just in the last day or two disembarking at Piraeus without problems.

....please keep us posted on what contingency measures will be taken for onward transportation if we disembark at an alternative port. Some of us have flights booked through Az. from Athens to LHR but I know through the "meet and mingle" thread that some from the U.S, have booked accomodation in Athens prior to returning home.

Offering some hope:-The Siversea site refers to one cruise just in the last day or two disembarking at Piraeus without problems.

We are also on this cruise and have 11:20 AM flights booked through Az. from Athens to JFK. I'm sweating a little bit every time I read about this.

Yes, 12 hours in advance is a little crazy for those of us who will be in Greece already for our Pireus embarkation. We will arrive about 4 days before the cruise and spend the time in Athens and Meteora. We have a private driver to take us to Mycenae and Corinth canal the day of the cruise before dropping us off at the ship. I don't want to come back from Meteora to find that I need to be in Istanbul or whereever the next day due to a different port embarkation. These are not the easiest ports to play catch up to the ship. Also, how would we know? Who should we call to verify everything is as usual? We arrive back from Meteora at 5 pm Friday night. Fortunately, that will still be day in US so I could call or email the travel agent and find out if there are any changes. But, if I wait until morning, it will still be too early for her to help us get flights.

I just read on this site that two 'cousin' ships skipped Athens last week - a Royal Caribbean ship spent the day at sea and a Celebrity ship was diverted to Crete. For both of these ships Athens was just a port stop and not embarkation/debarkation.

Given that its an ever changing situation, it is going to be hard for the cruiselines to predict with any accuracy what might happen and short of abandonning plans now they probably have to leave it until late on and use contingency measures

We were on a Celebrity ship in Europe that had to change its embarkation point due to weather a few years ago. The handling of the process was exemplary and eveyone coming off made flights home (maybe not their original flights accept that) and we were contacted, advised of changed arrangements to get to the new port which was over 100 miles in the opposite direction and we sailed away only 2 hours late with all passengers on board

Clearly they have the processes then to make things happen, though I understand it would be unsettling for you in the meantime

Following this thread with interest too. We land on 9/9 and cruise on 9/10. Independent flights and hotel bookings.

It amazes me that a country in economic meltdown would want to stop a boat load of people with $$$ to spend from coming ashore!

It amazes me that a country in economic meltdown would want to stop a boat load of people with $$$ to spend from coming ashore!

Yes, the whole Greek saga is so unreal - wake up smell the coffee , your broke, I want cant have etc

I found this post quoted below on Fedor's Web site. Perhaps Azamara will treat their passengers as well as Oceania does.

"During a tour to Olympia on Sunday, 17 July, our taxi driver advised us there was to be a taxi strike in all of Greece beginning the following day in response to the transport minister's decision to change taxi licensing requirements at the height of the tourism season. We had a taxi tour booked on Thursday, 21 July. On Monday, we called John Arvanitakis of

(I left name of company out). He told us it was by no means certain that the strike would last through Thursday, but that he would not leave us stranded.

On Wednesday afternoon, talks between the union and the transport minister broke down. (We were on board Oceania Nautica, and the cruise line did a magnificent job of keeping passengers informed. They also managed to put on extra buses to the airport and set up a shuttle service to hotels, thus getting every passenger who needed help to their immediate post-cruise destination.) We called John, and he confirmed that he had arranged a bus to pick us up, along with passengers from Celebrity and MSC for our half day tour and transfer to the hotel.

On Thursday, the bus picked us and the other passengers up on time, did our half day tour, (George, the driver, was exceptionally pleasant and attentive.) and dropped us at our hotel on time. On Saturday, a we were picked up as originally scheduled, taken to the airport, left at the car rental return to avoid enforcers at the departures level, and made our plane on time."

What would be great is if Azamara would say now, in the event of a taxi strike in Athens on the day of embarkation/debarkation they will have buses available to transport all passengers (either to/from the airport or to/from a centrally located hotel in Athens - and people could make arrangements now to stay in/near those centrally located Athens hotel or an airport hotel).

What would be great is if Azamara would say now, in the event of a taxi strike in Athens on the day of embarkation/debarkation they will have buses available to transport all passengers (either to/from the airport or to/from a centrally located hotel in Athens - and people could make arrangements now to stay in/near those centrally located Athens hotel or an airport hotel).

The risk of a strike is what prompted us to book AZ's transportation to the airport. Booked it now; don't have to worry about it later.

I was on the (quote from Captain Carl) "very unusual cruise" on Quest in Asia last March. We were in Nagasaki when the earthquake occured.

In spite of communication difficulties (no internet allowed in Japanese waters) the captain, cruise director and head office in Florida did a great job of keeping us informed and making alternate arrangements. The latter included a quick stop in Fukuoka to get Japanese exit stamps in our passports, arriving in Busan, south Korea the the evening before our scheduled morning arrival with special entertainment brought on board, and arriving in Shanghai a day ahead of schedule with shuttle busses provided.

I have heard from a friend in Athens today who said that the strikes were caused by the government's devaluation of the taxi license; basically wiping out the investment of the drivers while leaving them with the debt that they used to pay for the license. In an attempt to avoid future strikes the Transport Minister has agreed to recommence negotiations with the taxi owners. Talks resume tomorrow. Let's hope.

I am not worried about a taxi strike. There is always the metro and private drivers which I have been told will still work. I am worried about a port closure by striking dock workers or a blockade like was attempted last weekend - I heard without success. If the port is blocked to the ship, then we have an embarkation and debarkation problem.

I am not worried about a taxi strike. There is always the metro and private drivers which I have been told will still work. I am worried about a port closure by striking dock workers or a blockade like was attempted last weekend - I heard without success. If the port is blocked to the ship, then we have an embarkation and debarkation problem.

I agree.

It would seem that the taxi blockade is such an extreme action that it would only be a temporary tactic, but times change and may prove me wrong.

I agree as well. A taxi strike or blockade is pretty easy to get around, but if the ship can't get into the port, where would it divert to???

Hello Greece Travelers -

Although I have nothing new to report, I just want let you all know that our Global Security department and land operators are monitoring the strike situation in Greece. Thank you for your patience and I’ll update you when I have solid information.

Regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

I am staying optimistic and just know it will turn out! Leaving September 3 for Turkey and Greece and feel deep in my heart it will be okay!

Terri

Hi Terri

You're right to have a positive outlook:

We've had the Iceland Volcano, been snow-bound in Paris, fog, an aborted take-off, an airline strike etc etc.......... never missed a cruise yet :D

An old friend of the family used to say "Don't worry, it'll all fall into place!"

Good luck

B&T

YIKES! this is our first cruise with Azamara...we leave Sept 10th on the Quest....and I had NO clue about any blockade!!!! We are being picked up by Azamara transportation Friday morning....but how will we know if the ship can't get in/out??? Was/will Azamara call us before we leave?????? OR should I call THEM Thursday afternoon....I'm getting a bit nervous!:confused: Opps! my cruise clock is WRONG...we leave on 9/10 not the 1st!!!

Archived