January 1988 Itineraries Fairstar/Fairsky

Hi stumbled across this thread and it addressed my query about adding Fairstar cruise from early 90s. Took this tip and within 24 hours was added. Also interesting that that cries was under my maiden name and current details are in my maiden name. Now added and counting towards next level!

Thanks saved time and correspondence.

Whoops that should current details in married name. Must cross check somewhere!

Hi, don't know if this helps anyone but we went on P&O's Iberia for our honeymoon to Auckland and South Pacific leaving Sydney on 13th February, 1970 and then we did a New Year cruise to Suva and back on ORSOVA leaving Sydney on 27th December, 1971 for 7 nights. I just put these dates on the form for Princess when we claimed our Elite status and had no problem.

Edited by Grey Nomad

• 1 year later...
Hi Grandma07012007 & resordanis,

I should be able to help both of you. For Fairstar cruises this site:

http://www.tssfairstar.com/

has a lot of data, plus all the itineries. If you can't get the data here, please give me more details of itineries and approximate dates and I can help out more. I have all the Fairstar brochures from the late 70's on.

Orsova will be a littleharder but not impossible, I have a lot of brochures for her but not a complete set. If you can let me know approximate date - let's say a year and some of the other ports and it should be possible to try to work it out. BTW I sailed on Orsova out of Southampton in April 1972, she was fresh back from Australia then.

Lets see what we can do, I love a challenge!

It would be easier to do this by email, however there are some people who frequent here that I would not trust with my email address, so I am sorry that a more personal approach is not possible, still should be able to sort it for you though.

Cheers,

Hello David,

I hope you are still a member here !....I see that you MAY be able to help me identify the exact stops/itinerary for a cruise I did on Fairstar in 1984. The cruise in question i believe left Sydney on 26 Aug 84..... I cant remember what stops in the South PAcific there were, but I do remember the last port of call was Auckland...I clearly remember hiring a car with the folks and going to the extinct Volcano !

I really hope you can help... Regards

Warren

• 6 months later...

has a lot of data, plus all the itineries. If you can't get the data here, please give me more details of itineries and approximate dates and I can help out more. I have all the Fairstar brochures from the late 70's on.

Orsova will be a littleharder but not impossible, I have a lot of brochures for her but not a complete set. If you can let me know approximate date - let's say a year and some of the other ports and it should be possible to try to work it out. BTW I sailed on Orsova out of Southampton in April 1972, she was fresh back from Australia then.

It would be easier to do this by email, however there are some people who frequent here that I would not trust with my email address, so I am sorry that a more personal approach is not possible, still should be able to sort it for you though.

Cheers,

Hi David, I hope you can help me, as the above website has gone. I am looking for itineraries for March and April 1983 & 1984, I hope you can help me?

Thanks

Leanne

Warren,

Sorry I don't check here as much as I used to.

Hopefully you will see this as some time has now passed. Yes I should be able to help, I have most Fairstar brochures from the early eighties on, I think I am missing only one.

Fairstar did do a cruise leaving Sydney on 26/08/84, however it did not go to Auckland. Ports on that cruise were Noumea, Tana Volcano (scenic cruising), Vila, Latoya, Dravuni Island and Suva. Perhaps your Auckland call was another cruise? In 1984 Fairstar called at Auckland on her cruises that left Sydney 6th March and 5th November. Of course there is a possibility of itinerary changes, but that is not really all that likely, as Auckland is a long way south for a substitute checking other records that I have does not mention any changes at that time. Happy to help further if I can.

Hi Leanne,

1983 is one year I don't have a brochure for, sorry about that!

For March/April 1984, Fairstar made the following cruises:

Ex-Sydney 22nd February

Suva, Lautoka, Vila, Tana Island (scenic cruising), Noumea

Ex-Sydney 6th March

Auckland, Bay of Islands, Suva, Lautoka, Vila, Havannah-Boulari Passage

Ex-Sydney 21st March

Noumea, Isle of Pines, Vila, Lautoka, Dravuni Island

Ex-Sydney 3rd April

Amedeo Island, Noumea, Isle of Pines, Vila, Havannah-Boulari Passage

Ex-Sydney 14th April

Noumea, Hienghene, Vila, Lautoka

Ex-Sydney 26th April

Boulari-Havannah Passage, Vila, Tania Island (scenic cruising), Isle of Pines Noumea

Hope the above helps, however feel free to ask if you require clarification or further information.

Cheers,

Hi David,

Just wondering if you have any information on a Fairstar cruise in August 1996 we had to fly to Fiji and then sail back to Sydney. I think it was a 14 night cruise with seven ports.

Regards,

Robert Edwards

Robert, we did a B2B Fiji Fly-Cruise the year before that.

It consisted of 14 nights Sydney - Lautoka, which went out to Samoa and Tonga and a 12 night Lautoka - Sydney, starting with various ports around Fiji.

If nothing else comes up, I can flick through the photo album for exact ports and order in ours.

Edited by strathnaver

Hi Robert,

The cruises in question were No's 47/48 for 1996. 47 left Sydney on 26th July 1996 and sailed directly to Suva. From there Fairstar called at Levuka, Nuku'alofa, Pago Pago, Apia, Savu Savu before concluding the cruise in Lautoka on 9th August. The following cruise which would have been the one you were on, commenced in Lautoka on 9th August and was a 13 night cruise with calls at Savu Savu, Darvuni Island, Suva, Rotuma, Champagne Bay, Vila, Lifou, Noumea and returning to Sydney on 22nd August.

Hopefully this helps, however if there is more that I can assist with then please ask.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I will be just one day off Elite status after my next cruise so would love to have details of the Fairstar cruise from Sydney in December '87.

I recall going out onto the harbour to see Sydney-Hobart start, so it probably would have left the next day 29th, and I have a photo dated 6th Jan with the ship in the background taken from an island where we went ashore to have time on a beach and a swim.

Would anyone have access to the itinerary, or more importantly the length of the cruise. Thankyou.

Try looking at post 9 above

Thanks for replying, I did go through the cruising magazine I was taken to by that link, but I can't find anything on the Fairstar leaving Sydney around 27th Dec '87 for a Pacific Islands cruise. If I have missed it your advice would be really appreciated.

Thankyou, Di.

Here are interesting history of the Fairstar ship and Sitmar Lines

http://ssmaritime.com/Sitmar-Cruises-other-ships.htm

http://www.ssmaritime.com/fair2.htm

The ship actually had 2 names HMTS Oxfordshire 1957 - 1962 /

TSS Fairstar 1964 – 1997

https://books.google.com/books?id=kTADAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&rview=1&lr=#v=onepage&q=Fairstar&f=false

In the Cruise magazine I referred to

On page 59, center column, under Papeete, Princess cruises, it says Sea Princess 14 night Reverse of December 28 sailing from Sydney

That is all I can find. You just owe me a new set of eyeballs :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Cheers,

Hi I am desperately trying to prove cruises I was on in October 1986 and June 1988.... I have gone to that site and cannot work it out... are you able to help ??

Hi I am desperately trying to prove cruises I was on in October 1986 and June 1988.... I have gone to that site and cannot work it out... are you able to help ??

I am also having problems with that link. I am chasing records also frustrating isn't it

Some time ago I started compiling a list of the cruises for the Fairstar from newspaper advertisements. There are huge gaps and it's something I occasionally do in my "spare" time.

So...below is a screenshot of my spreadsheet so far. If it helps or anyone is interested in one of the cruises on the list I'll post the specific ad, that's if I can find it again. Cheers, Judy

Fairstar.JPG

Hello everyone, I am chasing passenger records or dates the Fairstar sailed from Australia from the start of 1985-1988? Can anyone help me... Thank you in advance:o

Welcome to cruise critic.

If you can narrow down the dates, someone may have the old brochure or dailies from the particular time period.:D

Some time ago I started compiling a list of the cruises for the Fairstar from newspaper advertisements. There are huge gaps and it's something I occasionally do in my "spare" time.

So...below is a screenshot of my spreadsheet so far. If it helps or anyone is interested in one of the cruises on the list I'll post the specific ad, that's if I can find it again. Cheers, Judy

Fairstar.JPG

Great work Judy.:D

• 4 weeks later...
I am also having problems with that link. I am chasing records also frustrating isn't it

I have just put all my three cruises on the Fairstar into Princess and was credited the full 54 days. I actually found the Facebook page 'Princess Cruises for Ozzies' to be the saviour as they were able to tell me what the dates were or at least the month. Maybe that is worth a go... if you are not on Facebook let me know the details you know and I will try to find out for you.