Is there any difference in crowds/heat if we move our cruise to May 28 vs. June 7th

World Gallery

We have the 20 day Mediterranean cruise booked with our family of 7, 2 adults and 5 kids ages 11 - 18 from June 7 - 27 on HAL. There are opening to move it to May 28th - June 17th and the first half would be in what I think the most crowded and hottest ports would be (Rome, Barcelona, Naples, Monte Carlo, Florence). I should found out our kids get out of school May 22nd so it is possible.

Will this really this date change really make a difference in crowds and heat? I now it is a small shift but for place like Disney World, this shift would be huge in regards to crowds and maybe heat.

I need to act soon because 4 person cabins are very few on these ships.

Thanks!

...there is a pretty good expectation that with each week leading up towards the summer vacation period it will only become busier, not less...

...we now head to Europe only in the spring or fall months, better weather and much better prices...

cheers,

the Imagineers

Another consideration, particularly if you do excursions on your own, is how many other cruise ships might be sharing your ports each day. Although a few weeks later will help somewhat in the general crowds in each city, it could be outweighed if you end up with an itinerary with multiple ships sharing your ports. Just something else to think about.

It will be a little less hot but the crowds depend on how many ships will be in port. Go to CruiseTT and check the schedule for your ship in June. Most of the ships will be in the Med at that time and it really just depends on the day your ship is in port.

I don't think your going to find much difference between those dates in weather or crowds.

Now if you were moving it back to March or April, I would say yes, but not just for the couple of weeks you are talking about. JMO

I would be inclined to move it back. But first, in addition to a quick look at the situation with other ships in port, I would check to be sure the sites you want to visit are open on the new port days.

Both are things I always check before booking a cruise. Neither of these things are necessarily deal-breakers -- there might be workarounds to overcome the problems of a specific sailing.

Thanks for all of these thoughts. I did check CruiseTT but the only ships showing up there for now is the NCL ships. I guess it is too early.

My issue is, I need to make a decision quickly because on the HAL ships, there aren't many quad cabins so I don't think I can wait until CruiseTT posts the rest.

Another thing, if we move it to May 28th, we would have to put our 4 night stay in Rome after the cruise. Then we are going to St. Petersburg for another 4 nights, so these 8 land days would both be after the cruise, instead of broken up.

...Another thing, if we move it to May 28th, we would have to put our 4 night stay in Rome after the cruise. Then we are going to St. Petersburg for another 4 nights, so these 8 land days would both be after the cruise, instead of broken up.

If you have to move your 4 nights in Rome to after the cruise, I don't know if switching cruise dates is a big gain. I'd want the days in Rome to be as early as possible.

Also would you still fly in at least the day before the cruise? That is highly recommended for everyone, but especially for a large family of 7.

Yes, we would still fly in the day before the cruise but would then stay in Civi instead of Rome since we would go to Rome afterward.

D4 - That does make sense to have the days in Rome first but if we change to May 28th, it wouldn't work because of school.

Thanks for all of these ideas. I am stilling considering everything so any other thoughts are welcome.

one other note (I just checked the calender). My kids get out on May 22. If we left May 23rd and had May 24 - 27 in Rome, this may work but it would be crazy since the end of a school gets crazy.

But.... if it is worth less crowds and heat, maybe so.

Any thoughts of Rome May 24 - 27th?

I know it is only a few weeks difference but I keep thinking about Disney World. If you go at the end of May, the crowds are significantly less than the first week in June. If Rome is the same (because of schools around the world letting out in June), it is worth it. We know it is odd that our schools let out May 22 but than again, our kids start Aug. 8th.

To the OP I say, do not let those 10 days even enter into your decision making. Either way you will be in the tourist season. As to the weather, if I asked you about the difference in LA weather between May 30 and June 10 what would you say? Enough said.

Hank

Grace - Yes, there is a small difference in price a few hundred when you add up the 7 of us, so that is something to consider.

Actually, living in Louisiana my whole life and from what I can remember, there would be a difference from the end of May to mid June. By mid June, it is always extremely hot and humid, no chance of a cool front (not in my 43 years) but sometimes at the end of May we get lucky.

Archived