Be warned when using a debit card with Carnival.

pomm1972

No matter what you use to pay your bill you can keep track of it on the tv in the room. I keep a running list of what I spend and check it everyother day so I have no surprises at the end of the cruise.

I never did that in the past, but I certainly will check my bill each night on my upcoming cruise.

My bank offers a VISA Travel Prepaid Debit card. You put an amount on the card and can add to it. A transfer from a checking account will have a 3 to 5 day hold, but if you do that with plenty of time before using the card there will be no problems. It also has Purchase Security, Travel and Emergency Assistance, and Lost Luggage Reimbursement. We used this same type of card on our other cruise and it was a breeze. It didn't affect our checking account and we watched what was spent on the cabin TV so we wouldn't go over the amount we placed on the prepaid card. It worked great in the ATM's as well. Has a limit per day of up to $500 cash removal and $2500 purchases. Can't go wrong with this idea. :)

We've used Cash for our S&S accounts for the past 2 cruises, (and will for our upcoming one as well) however before that we did use only our debit card. We have NO credit cards other then our debit card and plan to never get one either. With that being said, we have made sure that the debit card offers the same "protection" as a credit card, and it does.

We've learned to just make sure we have the cusion money in the account for the holds. When booking a car or hotel room, we pay in cash that day, however they still put the hold on your account.

We've used Cash for our S&S accounts for the past 2 cruises, (and will for our upcoming one as well) however before that we did use only our debit card. We have NO credit cards other then our debit card and plan to never get one either. With that being said, we have made sure that the debit card offers the same "protection" as a credit card, and it does.

We've learned to just make sure we have the cusion money in the account for the holds. When booking a car or hotel room, we pay in cash that day, however they still put the hold on your account.

It's smart to have a cusion for sure if using a debit card. I'd just prefer to not worry about the cusion and use a credit card. And yes, debit cards do have some similar protections as far as theft and fraud go.....but they don't have protection from the fees you rack up if you bounce your account, that's the difference!

I learned my lesson about debit cards on a cruise the 2nd time I cruised. Never again will I allow my debit card to be swiped! I now only use cash for my S&S card.

And to comment about money tied up with your bank if there are fraudulent charges and or holds on your account...its up to your bank when and how they release those charges. USAA will release ANY charges that I tell them are fraud or that I did not make once they post and my funds are back in my account before I hang up the phone. I just had to call them yesterday for a charge from Little Ceasre for pizzas I bought last Friday. I was charged 19.01 twice for 1 order. I called USAA on Monday and they said the extra charge should drop off Monday night..when it didnt I called yesterday and they rep reversed it right then and there. I used to bank with other banks that would tell me it would take days to get my money back...I never knew that it really didnt take that long until I opened my account with USAA.

I don't believe this has anything to do with simply using a debit card to guarantee the S&S account. It seems more like a dispute over charges. The red-flag is the part of the OP about the charges being more than the final bill (assuming they're talking about the bill received on debarkation day).

I've used a debit card for all three Carnival cruises I've been on and have never had a problem. In fact, I've always found it odd that, upon returning home, no charges or holds appeared on my account from Carnival. Furthermore, it generally took about 7-10 days after the cruise for the final charge to post to my account. The charges have never been more than my final bill. Of course, there's always a chance of a mistake, like some steward thinking I stole a robe or emptied the bar fridge, etc. I guess I've been lucky

I learned my lesson about debit cards on a cruise the 2nd time I cruised. Never again will I allow my debit card to be swiped! I now only use cash for my S&S card.

And to comment about money tied up with your bank if there are fraudulent charges and or holds on your account...its up to your bank when and how they release those charges. USAA will release ANY charges that I tell them are fraud or that I did not make once they post and my funds are back in my account before I hang up the phone. I just had to call them yesterday for a charge from Little Ceasre for pizzas I bought last Friday. I was charged 19.01 twice for 1 order. I called USAA on Monday and they said the extra charge should drop off Monday night..when it didnt I called yesterday and they rep reversed it right then and there. I used to bank with other banks that would tell me it would take days to get my money back...I never knew that it really didnt take that long until I opened my account with USAA.

May I ask how much cash they require for your S&S card?

We learned our lesson with Carnival and debit cards in 2003. Since then we put $400 down cash and then IF we have to add more money we put our credit card down. Never another problem.

Carnival requires $200 per person if you are putting cash down.

Hmmmmm we sail Monday...I have my debit card set up for the account..now Im wondering.....maybe I will get cash...we dont use credit cards..

I would def get the cash and us that...You can always deposit more if needed...It is much safer then using your debit card...FYI always ALWAYS check your receipt BEFORE you get out of line once you have made your deposit. Once you leave the line and if there is a mistake, it is next to impossible to fix...Count you money to them and make them count it back and ck the receipt...There have been ppl on CC that have not done this and regreated it later :rolleyes:

You ARE protected with debit card charges under Regulation E of the Federal Reserve. This is a consumer regulation that protects you regarding, among other things, debit cards. I'm not sure why people say you are not protected when using a debit card. Yes, true, your money may be tied up, but the bank does have the option to credit you the money back just like a credit card company does. You just have to state your case with the bank...so it may be a little more difficult. I saw many, many cases of debit card disputes in my several years as a bank examiner.

That being said, I use a credit card on a cruise. I just like it better and I get points. I have used a debit card before, and I didn't have any issues with it. I tend to use my credit card for larger purchases and my debit card for everyday purchases. I've had more issues with people getting ahold of my credit card number than my debit card number.

JMHO

You ARE protected with debit card charges under Regulation E of the Federal Reserve. This is a consumer regulation that protects you regarding, among other things, debit cards. I'm not sure why people say you are not protected when using a debit card. Yes, true, your money may be tied up, but the bank does have the option to credit you the money back just like a credit card company does. You just have to state your case with the bank...so it may be a little more difficult.
I didn't say you're not protected. I said the protection is not the same. With a debit card, if there's a mistake you have to wait to get your money back. With a credit card, you never paid it out in the first place. To me, that is a HUGE difference in levels of protection and PITA.

I'm against CCs because of their practices. They are more than willing to give you a card but when you need their help, such as when you are a poor college student who has to hawk their life away to pay for things and can't find a job they punish you. No college student with no income should be able to get thousands of dollars of credit. Nor should said student be applying for a credit card. It's called personal responsibility. The credit card company/Bank is a business. They are there to make money for their shareholders. Most of these companies are willing to work with you if you are proactive with them. If you are unemployed, screw you, miss a payment screw yet. They jack up your rates, charge late charges, over the limit fees, etc., etc. That's why you should always have a certain amount set aside to cover monthly expenses in case of emergency.

For those that pay off accounts every month they make no money off of you, which is why they shortened their billing cycles, some to 20 days and shortened grace periods. So they have some chance of making money off of you when you slip up. If I can't pay cash for it I don't need it.

I know these things because I used to work for a credit card company. I also worked in their collection department. It would surprise you how many people's credit is ruined by small balances like 10 or 20 dollars, which was probably a company error in the first place.

Bolding mine..

I didn't say you're not protected. I said the protection is not the same. With a debit card, if there's a mistake you have to wait to get your money back. With a credit card, you never paid it out in the first place. To me, that is a HUGE difference in levels of protection and PITA.

I apologize if you thought my post was directed to you...it wasn't.

Did you review the Summary of Charges that were either slid under your door or left in the mailbox outside your cabin before disembarking? Did you review your charges every couple of days? We did this and once found about $200 in charges that we did not make. Went immediately to Guest Servuces, who determined that one of the gift shop employees charged me for alcohol that I had never bought - the right account number was one digit off from mine.

If it was me who had this problem, I'd be on the phonewirh Carnival reviewing every single charge that was made to my S&S account, and making sure that I had a receipt for all of the charges.

Oh and we always use a debit card, and have never had this problem. We check our S&S balances every couple of days and immediately report any charges that we don't recognize to Guest Services.

Something tells me that there's more to this story...

There is more to the story. There is both a dispute for charges and there were unauthorized charges made against my account. Since I have been sick all day, I didn't get Carnival's call back. There was a problem with unauthorized charges which have now been corrected (the holds). This part is the fraud part which is why I had to cancel my debit card. What Carnival has not done yet which I was promised was get a complete detail of the charges on my SS card. I have the receipt and when the last charge was made. I was told this was be emailed to me within 1 hour by accounting. I have yet to receive it. I will call tomorrow when Customer Care is open and find out what is going on with the rest. This would the part that would be the dispute. Since I do not deny making charges, its just that the charges do not reflect what my final bill stated.

We learned our lesson with Carnival and debit cards in 2003. Since then we put $400 down cash and then IF we have to add more money we put our credit card down. Never another problem.

Carnival requires $200 per person if you are putting cash down.

Not true, my sister paid $100 for a 7 day cruise. I think they suggest $200.

Bolding mine..

You are entitled to your opinion. Since your post smells of judgement I feel the need to respond.

Go to any college student union in September and you will see what I mean. I don't want to get into a political fight but banks are evil, they are out to screw you the consumer in order to make money for themselves and the shareholder. They have gone to the extent of breaking laws and betting against their consumers that they will fail. Read our current financial mess. That virtually none of the criminals are in jail, is the fault of our government. Everyone has turned a blind eye. But lets take a person of color with a theft, they'll rot in jail. Makes sense huh. I live in FL, I have seen what predatory lenders have done to people. Yes people should take accountability for what they sign but many people don't read their contracts. I work in insurance, I see this everyday. People are clueless when confronted by long contracts full with legalese. Especially when some broker or agent tells them this is what you get, this is what it says, sign here.

I'm afraid this thread has gone horribly off topic. I only posted it as a warning to others in hopes that they don't experience the same. Again, I'm confident Carnival will get it all corrected. It just may take more calls then I hoped for.

I will continue to post updates on the situation and/or answer any questions people have, but I will no longer get into a debate which has gone off topic.

My bank offers a VISA Travel Prepaid Debit card. You put an amount on the card and can add to it. A transfer from a checking account will have a 3 to 5 day hold, but if you do that with plenty of time before using the card there will be no problems. It also has Purchase Security, Travel and Emergency Assistance, and Lost Luggage Reimbursement. We used this same type of card on our other cruise and it was a breeze. It didn't affect our checking account and we watched what was spent on the cabin TV so we wouldn't go over the amount we placed on the prepaid card. It worked great in the ATM's as well. Has a limit per day of up to $500 cash removal and $2500 purchases. Can't go wrong with this idea. :)

Is this offered through a local bank, credit union, or national bank?

And, if my bank doesn't offer something similar (I don't think they do), could I just buy a few prepaid visa cards and use those? Anyone know if I can use those for holds on hotel and car rental?

I've sailed several times with RCCL and once with Carnival. Used a Visa Check Card (linked to a secondary checking account) for my onboard acct each time and have never had an issue. My account is normally charged the morning of our departure, and the holds on my acct have been released within the week of our return home. I don't like using credit cards, and I actually get air miles with purchases made on my check card.

I like to call the bank about a week before leaving to let them know that I'll be on a cruise, listing which islands I'll be visiting. I know that Bank of America will freeze your account if there's any unusual activity on your check card (unusual location, etc), just to be sure someone isn't making fraudulent charges on your account. I actually appreciate that, so if I know I'll be away I just ask them to put a note on my account. Again, I've never had an issue.

Out of 6 cruises I've used my debit card 6 times, even made a diamond purchase in St Thomas with my debit and never had a problem. But I am sorry to hear about your problems and wish you the best.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and a lot of patience. I'm sure with the way you are handling it it will work out soon. Thank you for the warning. I too usually use credit card but you just don't ever know the future and that may change one day. Again - thanks for the warning and I hope others heed it.

I'm sorry that I cannot agree with many people on here about the holds on debits cards when cruising. I've been on 6 cruises in the last 6 years and have always used my check card for my sign and sail acct. I've never had these crazy holds on my card after the cruise and defn not for 30 days or more.

I agree with wanting to let people know the dangers of using these cards sometimes but I don't think we should make it seem like this is a given for anyone who uses a debit card because it's not. Maybe it depends on your relationship with your bank, your banking history period and how you handle your finances that depends on if the bank is going to hold your money until it gets a final bill from the cruise line or wherever.

What has happened for me is I use my sign and sail card, I get the final bill on the morning of disembarkation, I check my acct online, I see that the bank held up the monies I charged while on the cruise (no extra) and then in a couple of days the charges are posted to my acct and all is well. This has happened for me every time. So I will continue to use my check card on my next cruise in a few weeks. :D

Archived