Be warned when using a debit card with Carnival.

pomm1972

We learned our lesson with Carnival and debit cards in 2003. Since then we put $400 down cash and then IF we have to add more money we put our credit card down. Never another problem.

Carnival requires $200 per person if you are putting cash down.

Totally not true. Its merely a suggestion. You can put zero on your S & S card if you want to. And there are some who do. They pre pay the tips and dont spend a dime on board. I put down usually about 200 and that will last me a full 7 days with money back in the end.

It sounds like you have a great attitude and a lot of patience. I'm sure with the way you are handling it it will work out soon. Thank you for the warning. I too usually use credit card but you just don't ever know the future and that may change one day. Again - thanks for the warning and I hope others heed it.

Thank you.

I'm sorry that I cannot agree with many people on here about the holds on debits cards when cruising. I've been on 6 cruises in the last 6 years and have always used my check card for my sign and sail acct. I've never had these crazy holds on my card after the cruise and defn not for 30 days or more.

I agree with wanting to let people know the dangers of using these cards sometimes but I don't think we should make it seem like this is a given for anyone who uses a debit card because it's not. Maybe it depends on your relationship with your bank, your banking history period and how you handle your finances that depends on if the bank is going to hold your money until it gets a final bill from the cruise line or wherever.

What has happened for me is I use my sign and sail card, I get the final bill on the morning of disembarkation, I check my acct online, I see that the bank held up the monies I charged while on the cruise (no extra) and then in a couple of days the charges are posted to my acct and all is well. This has happened for me every time. So I will continue to use my check card on my next cruise in a few weeks. :D

I used my debit card in the past with no problems too. I think this is just an isolated incident, definitely not the norm.

I have had holds on my card. I called the back and they said to call Carnival because it was Carnival not them that was holding the money. Like the Carnival paper work stated it may take 72 hours during work days for the hold to go away. It did. Not problem. Paying off most of the amount the last night of the cruise with cash always helps too.

You are entitled to your opinion. Since your post smells of judgement I feel the need to respond.

Go to any college student union in September and you will see what I mean. I don't want to get into a political fight but banks are evil, they are out to screw you the consumer in order to make money for themselves and the shareholder. They have gone to the extent of breaking laws and betting against their consumers that they will fail. Read our current financial mess. That virtually none of the criminals are in jail, is the fault of our government. Everyone has turned a blind eye. But lets take a person of color with a theft, they'll rot in jail. Makes sense huh. I live in FL, I have seen what predatory lenders have done to people. Yes people should take accountability for what they sign but many people don't read their contracts. I work in insurance, I see this everyday. People are clueless when confronted by long contracts full with legalese. Especially when some broker or agent tells them this is what you get, this is what it says, sign here.

I'm afraid this thread has gone horribly off topic. I only posted it as a warning to others in hopes that they don't experience the same. Again, I'm confident Carnival will get it all corrected. It just may take more calls then I hoped for.

I will continue to post updates on the situation and/or answer any questions people have, but I will no longer get into a debate which has gone off topic.

Way to take zero personal responsibility for your actions. I love how it's always 'those fat cats in washingtons' fault or 'big business'. Good lord, no one has a gun to your head, take a little responsibility for your life.

so when we are checking in we make a cash deposit?

When you do your FunPass, I think you can check the box that asks if you will be using a cash account. I'm not sure of this since I always use a card. If you can only choose the card option on the FunPass, that's okay...do it.

When you check in right before you get on the ship, they will ask for a card. Tell them you will be using a cash account.

When you get on the ship, go to the purser's desk and deposit cash.

Ah, I made a rookie mistake, except I'm not a rookie. I used Debit card in past and had no problems before. I've seen all the horror stories but said, nah that will never happen to me. Fortunately I had enough of a cushion in my account that I'm not destitute until it's figured out.

I always take a prepaid Visa card when I travel. Not only for my onboard account, but for on shore purchases also. I leave my credit and debit cards safely at home!

I made this mistake on my last cruise and boy did I regret it! I used my debit card, but decided on the last night to go down and pay the bill in full because we had enough cash left to do so. I was shocked a few days after getting home to see a charge for over $800.00 on my bank account. I called right away and it was discovered that I had been charged for someone else's cabin. I thought, "oh this is an easy fix" NOT SO! It took darn near 10 days to get the money credited back into my account. I called them almost daily telling them the money still had not been credited. They kept telling me "It should show up tomorrow, if not give us a call back" Finally it did show up:mad but it was about 10 days! That was a very painful lesson. It is hard to have that much cash held up, especially after just returning from a 2 week back-2-back cruise! I was given a certificate for 10% off my next cruise as compensation, but I had to ask for it! :mad:

When you do your FunPass, I think you can check the box that asks if you will be using a cash account. I'm not sure of this since I always use a card. If you can only choose the card option on the FunPass, that's okay...do it.

When you check in right before you get on the ship, they will ask for a card. Tell them you will be using a cash account.

When you get on the ship, go to the purser's desk and deposit cash.

And what ever you do...DO NOT hand them the card! Thats the mistake I made on my 2nd cruise. She said that she was only verifying the card I booked the cruise with. Total LIE! I didnt know that I was double paying ( I had established a cash account when I got on board) until I tried to withdraw some extra cash and found out that Carnival had held over $250 of my money. I was rather upset and was told it would be released when we re-docked back in Galveston. It was but I was not a happy person at all! I also asked for a refund of the cash I had put down and was given as many excuses as I have fingers and was told that it would all be fixed when we docked.

Archived