Be warned when using a debit card with Carnival.

pomm1972

To those who are saying the protections are the same, it's simply not true. Yes, you are still able to dispute charges. However, on a credit card the money isn't "real"...your own money isn't being tied up. With a debit card, YOUR money is tied up. And god forbid someone is able to get your pin...the same protections do not apply at all with fraudulent pin transactions.

I really am not sure why some people are so anti credit cards. Get a credit card and pay the balance off each month. I use my debit card for NOTHING (except for withdrawing money from an ATM). I don't like the idea of giving someone direct access to my funds in my bank account. And it isn't always fraud. If someone adds an extra digit in a transaction by mistake, my money is tied up until it gets resolved.

That's not true. Disputed charges with a credit card do not accrue interest and do not need to be paid unless they are found to be legitimate charges. Disputed charges with a debit card tie your money up right now and restrict your access to it. You may be protected from fraud by Visa, but there are clear differences when it comes to disputed charges between a credit and a debit card.

According to Chase, Carnival has to resolve the issue within 15 days or they have to refund all the charges within 15 days. Its in Carnival's best interest to correct it immediately or else I get a free sail and sign account and they would be losing well over 1k. If thats not protection I don't know what is. Yes it ties the money up, but I have the money to cover me and I have a direct deposit going in on Friday. I just will not be able to use my debit card until another is sent to me. I will have to go to the bank to get actual money though.

I believe it to be a disputed charge also, since I made charges, and do not deny that. Its the amounts in question.

Its the guy at Chase that said its considered a fraudulent charge, which is why I have to close the debit card. He said because they resubmitted charges this morning, that it is fraudulent. Even the guy at Carnival said that it is very odd that there would be charges submitted after I left the ship, so something is obviously wrong here.

Again I know Carnival will get it corrected, it just may take some time.

To be fraudulent, the charges would have to have been charged by someone other than you. If Chase is saying its fraud, then that must be the case. not holds.

(I worked for Amex in credit card disputes, so I do know what the def. of credit card fraud is)

To those who are saying the protections are the same, it's simply not true. Yes, you are still able to dispute charges. However, on a credit card the money isn't "real"...your own money isn't being tied up. With a debit card, YOUR money is tied up. And god forbid someone is able to get your pin...the same protections do not apply at all with fraudulent pin transactions.

I really am not sure why some people are so anti credit cards. Get a credit card and pay the balance off each month. I use my debit card for NOTHING (except for withdrawing money from an ATM). I don't like the idea of giving someone direct access to my funds in my bank account. And it isn't always fraud. If someone adds an extra digit in a transaction by mistake, my money is tied up until it gets resolved.

I'm against CCs because of their practices. They are more than willing to give you a card but when you need their help, such as when you are a poor college student who has to hawk their life away to pay for things and can't find a job they punish you. No college student with no income should be able to get thousands of dollars of credit. If you are unemployed, screw you, miss a payment screw yet. They jack up your rates, charge late charges, over the limit fees, etc., etc.

For those that pay off accounts every month they make no money off of you, which is why they shortened their billing cycles, some to 20 days and shortened grace periods. So they have some chance of making money off of you when you slip up. If I can't pay cash for it I don't need it.

I know these things because I used to work for a credit card company. I also worked in their collection department. It would surprise you how many people's credit is ruined by small balances like 10 or 20 dollars, which was probably a company error in the first place.

No matter what you use to pay your bill you can keep track of it on the tv in the room. I keep a running list of what I spend and check it everyother day so I have no surprises at the end of the cruise.

Yes, its a wonderful thing. I checked it religiously.

I'm against CCs because of their practices. They are more than willing to give you a card but when you need their help, such as when you are a poor college student who has to hawk their life away to pay for things and can't find a job they punish you. No college student with no income should be able to get thousands of dollars of credit. If you are unemployed, screw you, miss a payment screw yet. They jack up your rates, charge late charges, over the limit fees, etc., etc.

For those that pay off accounts every month they make no money off of you, which is why they shortened their billing cycles, some to 20 days and shortened grace periods. So they have some chance of making money off of you when you slip up. If I can't pay cash for it I don't need it.

I know these things because I used to work for a credit card company. I also worked in their collection department. It would surprise you how many people's credit is ruined by small balances like 10 or 20 dollars, which was probably a company error in the first place.

I guess you and I have different views on personal responsibility. And I have never run into the issues you described.

I also rarely use cash (for large purchases). First, if you lose it, you lose it. Also, when you use cash for things you don't get the same protections as a credit card.

I only use cash...too may problems with debit cards. I learned that lesson with hotels...Also you can get a paypal account and put money on there as well. And the will issue you a debit card. That way you can control the amt used, held ect. I hope it gets worked out soon...

I believe it to be a disputed charge also, since I made charges, and do not deny that. Its the amounts in question.

Its the guy at Chase that said its considered a fraudulent charge, which is why I have to close the debit card. He said because they resubmitted charges this morning, that it is fraudulent. Even the guy at Carnival said that it is very odd that there would be charges submitted after I left the ship, so something is obviously wrong here.

Again I know Carnival will get it corrected, it just may take some time.

But if Chase is saying it's fraud and your account is being closed, then it becomes a matter for Chase's Loss Prevention Dept. and not a matter of dispute anymore. I have had fraudulent charges in the past and I have had to dispute a charge before. The way they are handled are completely different. If you are only disputing the charge, your account should not need to be closed. The charge can only be fraud or only be disputed. It can't be both.

I guess you and I have different views on personal responsibility. And I have never run into the issues you described.

I also rarely use cash (for large purchases). First, if you lose it, you lose it. Also, when you use cash for things you don't get the same protections as a credit card.

Yes, I was young and stupid once. Thats why I use a debit card with a bankcard logo, I use cash and get the protections of a credit card. To me its a win/win.

I never use a debit card for anything that might result in a hold being placed on my account. I have one credit card, Carnvial's, that I use for everything related to my cruise. I usuallly pay it off every month to avoid any interest

Yes, I was young and stupid once. Thats why I use a debit card with a bankcard logo, I use cash and get the protections of a credit card. To me its a win/win.

But didn't it bite you in the butt this time? And I still maintain you don't get the same protections. The policies overall may be similar but I would rather have the credit card companies money tied up than my own. Oh well, to each their own.

Our Chase credit card co. saved us a lot of money when I was fool enough to fall for a phone scam!! Chase got us all our money back and I am one of their customers that does not pay interest!!I pay my bill off monthly.I'm usually very careful but I did manage to get suckered and I'm very thankful for Chase!!!

This is not true. As long as the debit card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it, the protections are exactly the same as a credit card. Both the Visa and Mastercard websites show their protection policies and it's stated right there.

With that said, I wouldn't use a debit card on my main bank account unless you have a cushion to cover the hold for a couple days. I used cash the last time we cruised.

A debit card with a VISA or Mastecard logo does not always protect you. It all depends on how the charges were authorized. Entering a PIN will authorize through the debit portion of your card and you are NOT covered by VISA. Some retailers will try to authorize through the debit networks for non-PIN transactions to save money. If they do you are not covered by VISA.

Best options:

1. Get a true credit card that has rewards. You are then protected by the credit card company for fraudulent charges and can dispute them. It is up to the retailer to make good. Plus you get some type of reward back. Most banks have them.

2. Prepaid Credit Gift cards. These Gift Cards have a credit company logo and act just like credit cards with the same protection. Great when giving to teenagers for birthdays or vacations in foreign countries. Keep in mind they are like cash when lost or stolen.

3. Cash account or some other type of pre-payment.

As a software developer in the Payment Card Industry there is one rule I try to follow when using Debit vs Credit.

If I may in anyway want to dispute/return a purchase I am making, I use credit. (i.e. I don't typically return groceries)

We have also had our bank cards compromised so we now use our charge card first than pay it off with bank account.

for example we always use a card to get gas and we use a charge card not our bank card so if it is compromised it won't tie up our money while it is being resolved.

This is why people should not use their bank card to cover your s &s card charges. Why tie up your money and take a chance of overdrawing your account, use a regular charge card and when the bill comes pay it off!! Works out the same as cash!!

There were two charges that came out. One for 100, which may have been the FCC charges separately and another charge which was 500+ more. than the final bill I had to to move money around so other charges would go through and not bounce on me. When all was restored this morning I moved my money back again, when the holds were removed sometime between yesterday and 4 am this morning. Then at 530 this morning apparently they ran the charges again. When I saw this I called my bank and they told me I had to file a claim for fraudulent charges. They advised me to call Carnival and dispute the charges. They essentially have 15 days to explain or Carnival has to refund me everything.

I've used a debit card in the past with no problem, when I didn't have a money cushion either. Only cash for me. Since I refuse to use credit cards, I will not use a credit card either.

wow sorry this happened - we always use a cc, much easier to dispute.

Hope you get it straightened out quickly.

Did you review the Summary of Charges that were either slid under your door or left in the mailbox outside your cabin before disembarking? Did you review your charges every couple of days? We did this and once found about $200 in charges that we did not make. Went immediately to Guest Servuces, who determined that one of the gift shop employees charged me for alcohol that I had never bought - the right account number was one digit off from mine.

If it was me who had this problem, I'd be on the phonewirh Carnival reviewing every single charge that was made to my S&S account, and making sure that I had a receipt for all of the charges.

Oh and we always use a debit card, and have never had this problem. We check our S&S balances every couple of days and immediately report any charges that we don't recognize to Guest Services.

Something tells me that there's more to this story...

Can someone explain to me how to use cash to pay their S&S? We've always used our debit card but I don't really want to do that anymore.

When you get on the ship, tell them you're doing a cash account and deposit cash with the purser.

When you start running low, they will send a note to your cabin for you to deposit more cash.

If you have any cash leftover, they will slide a check under your cabin door or in the mailbox.

You can cash this with the purser or deposit it in your bank.

The most common problems with using debit cards is that they take authorizations along the way to cover the charges you are racking up. These authorizations go against your balence in your checking account. At the end of the rental they take a sale for the whole balence of your S&S account, which is deducted from your checking account. The problem is, often the authorizations take time to fall off your checking account, sometimes up to 30 days. On a credit card it's no big deal because the authorization is only against your line of credit, but since there is no line of credit on a debit card, it actually holds funds aside until it falls off.

The bolded line needs to be a sticky, for the people that just don't get it.

I rarely use my debit card for anything but ATM transactions and groceries (so I can get cash back when I am too lazy to go to my ATM). I have only had to dispute a few charges in my life, but was happy to know it wasn't MY money being disputed, since the charges hadn't been paid yet.

According to Chase, Carnival has to resolve the issue within 15 days or they have to refund all the charges within 15 days. Its in Carnival's best interest to correct it immediately or else I get a free sail and sign account and they would be losing well over 1k. If thats not protection I don't know what is. Yes it ties the money up, but I have the money to cover me and I have a direct deposit going in on Friday. I just will not be able to use my debit card until another is sent to me. I will have to go to the bank to get actual money though.
Sounds like a huge inconvenient pain in the butt.

The only time I ever had the problems you describe was with Chase. IMO, they are from Satan, and I will never ever ever do business with them again. I've never had a single problem with USAA in the 20+ years I have had a Mastercard with them. Which I pay off in full, every month.

Archived