MBNA Card -- Points Payment or Discount?

candydane

For those of you who have used NCL Card points, did you get the full value of your points? Are the MBNA coupons considered to be coupons that reduce the commissionable fare that NCL charges or as $$ made as a payment toward my fare?

I just read the small print on the Invoice disclosure from my TA. It states that "As cruise lines deduct coupons from commissionable fare, your [TA name] invoice will receive 85% of coupons face value once the cruise line has applied it." I tried calling my TA and spoke to Customer Service to see if NCL card points are considered to be coupons or payments, but the only answer I could get was that it depends on what the coupon says! :confused: I still have time to change my TA if other TAs who do not reduce the point value.

We just redeemed our first $500 certificate and received the full $500 value for it. Our TA treated it just like money. He submitted it, waited for it to be applied to our cruise, and then charged the remainder of the cruise costs to our card. We have 2 cabins, so the amount for the one cabin was about $150, and the amount for the other was $650. Just wish we'd had enough points to help pay for the 2nd cabin also :) .

Our TA told me specifically that the use of the MBNA points did not reduce her commission at all. She think they are great and recommends them to her other clients so they can go on more cruises.

We have done 4 or 5 cruises using the MBNA vouchers. All have been booked through travel agents and they accept them for payment just like cash. We have never had a problem and use the NCL credit card for practically every purchase we make. How can a cruise be bad when you don't have to pay for it...not that I have ever been on a bad NCL cruise. Leaving on the Majesty Saturday.

Archived