Taxis in Cozumel

librarycin

I posted this to the Cozumel board, and mentioned it in my roll call, but I thought I'd also post it here for a different perspective.

I am looking at tours to Tulum when I am in Cozumel, but both tours I'm looking at (through RCCL and through ShoreTrips) require a one-way or both-ways taxi.

I was wondering - as a solo - if people feel safe taking cabs in Cozumel. I've never been to Mexico at all, so I have no idea. Most people seem to think they're o.k.,but I wanted the perspective from some solo travellers, too. Thanks!

(Actually, I'm a little irritated that the tours don't deliver us to and from the ship. I book tours - in part - because it is safer and I don't have to worry about these things!)

Edited by librarycin

I posted this to the Cozumel board, and mentioned it in my roll call, but I thought I'd also post it here for a different perspective.

I am looking at tours to Tulum when I am in Cozumel, but both tours I'm looking at (through RCCL and through ShoreTrips) require a one-way or both-ways taxi.

I was wondering - as a solo - if people feel safe taking cabs in Cozumel. I've never been to Mexico at all, so I have no idea. Most people seem to think they're o.k.,but I wanted the perspective from some solo travellers, too. Thanks!

(Actually, I'm a little irritated that the tours don't deliver us to and from the ship. I book tours - in part - because it is safer and I don't have to worry about these things!)

When you come out of the port area, they have the taxi stands. They will have the pricing for where you are going to.

You can go solo, the pricing will be slighty higher (I'm guessing you are heading to the downtown area), if you are willing and have the time, you can share a taxi van with others.

While they will take you solo, the drivers often prefer to fill a van up. You have to be firm on letting them know if you have to be at the ferry at a certain time.

Now as for riding alone, I've done this in Cozmuel returning from one of the beach resorts and from downtown. If you are going to this, get a taxi from the taxi stand area. Some people won't feel comfortable doing this, but I have here, St. Martin, St. Kitts and a few others.

It's my understanding depending which pier you arrive at, the taxi drivers have this agreement so that's the reason why. I have the bar hop in Cozumel and I think some people in my role call are going. If not, I will catch a cab to the location.

Now on your return, since you likey will be touring with others, you can share a cab back.

I hope this helps!

Thank you both for your replies! It's nice to know they are regulated - I supposed that's so people like me know we'll be safe and will feel comfortable taking a cab!

Just as some added info, it looks like I'll only need to get a cab back to the ship. The tour apparently ends with dropping us all off downtown. Not sure why they aren't bringing us back to the ship, but there you go... Sounds like my best bet is to find other people from my tour to hop in with or it seems that I should be o.k. on my own if I go that way. Thanks again!

Oh, just to confirm, there are taxi stands downtown, as well, to catch a cab back? It sounds like that is the case, from what you, airlink diva, has said. I had wondered about that, too, as I really prefer not to have to hail a cab.

I have been to Cozumel many times' date=' but I don't recall seeing a "taxi stand" downtown. There will be, however.....a taxi every where you look.

No problemo. ;)

Enjoy your time in Cozumel![/quote']

Thanks again!

Cindy

HI Librarycin again!

While there are no taxi stands in the downtown area, when departing the ferry area, there are taxis available. The same with restaurants, you can get them to hail you a cab.

Another thing, if you don't feel right with a cab driver, ask for another!! A friend and I did this in Quito. We got some bad vibes from a driver and we declined. Better safe than sorry!

But overall, I've had no problem with cabs in Cozumel.

HI Librarycin again!

While there are no taxi stands in the downtown area, when departing the ferry area, there are taxis available. The same with restaurants, you can get them to hail you a cab.

Another thing, if you don't feel right with a cab driver, ask for another!! A friend and I did this in Quito. We got some bad vibes from a driver and we declined. Better safe than sorry!

But overall, I've had no problem with cabs in Cozumel.

Great! Thanks again! I don't think it ever would have occurred to me to decline a cab, but you're right. Better safe than sorry, so if I feel uncomfortable with a particular driver, I will pass and get the next one. Thank you!

I have been to Cozumel many times' date=' but I don't recall seeing a "taxi stand" downtown. There will be, however.....a taxi every where you look.

No problemo. ;)

Enjoy your time in Cozumel![/quote']

I agree with you. Perhaps what Boos Mom was saying was that whenever a cruise ship is in Cozumel, there are many taxis. I've been there a few times & found January to be hot (or was it April:) ).

• 2 years later...

We just came back from a week long cruise on the Carnival Legend. I found some information on Cruise Critic about taxi drivers and private tours. I contacted several different drivers and decided to go with Santiago. He was awesome. Picked us up at the taxi station. Took us to his air conditioned van and had an ice chest ready for us with sodas, water and beer. There were 9 in our party. We prearranged through email with him what we wanted to do. First stop was some shopping downtown. Then it was off to tour the island. We went to a small bar and the end of the island called Coconuts. Great views, the best shrimp ceviche I've ever had and cold cocktails. Also amazing guacamole and salsa. Santiago stopped at a few different places for us to see and take photos. You have lots of options on where to go and what to do. Then he took us to the beach where he had arranged free snorkeling and kayaking for us. He was awesome. Very informative and great english. All for $25 per person for ALL day (note that many of the others are $25-$35 for only 3 hours). You can reach him at sanzaparadise@hotmail.comEudaldo