Gibraltar - walk to the top of rock?

We were in Gibraltar last month although not via cruise ship. We had a car with us and the charge for the entrance to the siege tunnels, the caves and the apes den was £10 per person and £2 for the car to drive up to the top of the rock.

The taxis were charging £12 per person for the rock tour. This was less than usual (£18) and I suspect it was a quiet day with no ships in.

Have a look at the Gib taxi website for more info on tours available

www.gibtaxi.com

Pam.

I didn't know that they cut the cost when things are quiet. £12 a person is really good value for a rock tour - in fact the driver is not really making money he is hoping to get a tip.

We will be in Gibralter this summer on a cruise and we do not arrive until 2PM and leave about 6PM. I have emailed three different tour companies to try to book a rock tour and none seem to email me back. Is this normal. It has been over a week and no answers. Actually one did reply that i should fill out a form and i did that and then i didn't hear from them again. Has anyone else had this problem.? We really want to go to the top and also want to see the WW II tunnels....[/QUOT

I wouldn't know about emailing. I would expect you to be able to get a taxi when you come off the ship, although granted you are on a tight schedule given that you only have 4 hours. You really do need to get straight off and if there are any traffic jams up the rock you assume that the ship tours are stuck in the same traffic jam. The WWII tunnels are treated as extra to the Rock tours, they are not included in the price of the ticket. I think that you would have to forego one of the other attractions to fit them in.

Is your ship very big? I do stress quite a lot about getting back to the ship, but in Gibraltar there are traffic jams when big ships are in. If your ship is 'next stop Malaga' then you don't have too much to worry about, but if it is 'next stop Southampton'. If you are straight off the ship and into a taxi you have no problems, but if no -one does get back to you I wonder if this is a stop that you have to use a ship tour.

Hi, Ollie, Bert & mum.

The very people :)

We'll be spending a day in Gib next month (driving from accommodation on the Costa del Sol, parking at La Linea). Been to Gib a good few times, this time would really like to go round the WW2 tunnels but still struggling to find info about access :confused:

Took a lot of research to even find its location (by the Moorish castle?) :(

Do you know if we can just roll up? Or do we need an appointment? And if so, do you have any contact details? Can visit any weekday.

Be grateful for any help

JB :)

(others on this thread. This is the WW2 tunnels, not the Great Seige tunnel/galleries)

Hi John

hmmmm I think that I need to ask a few questions myself, it says on my info from the Tourist Office that it is £8 entry and children free, but they will only permit entry if you have a Nature Reserve entry ticket. This is perhaps because it is within the Nature Reserve, but I am hoping they mean the 50p entry ticket will do because if you have to pay another £10 then it would be out of the question for you. I don't think you have to book, but it might pay to phone the day before just to check there are no special opening times.

Yes the tunnels are up the rock from the moorish castle ? can you pay to go into the Nature Reserve by the Moorish Castle, oh I am not 100% sure but I think you can. If you do not have a car, you will be able to use the number 2 bus and ask them to drop you off at the bottom of Willis' Road, say that you want to go up the Rock and you will see the road going up. It is a bit of a drag up there, the only other way would be to take a taxi to the Moorish Castle (and it should be under £10 from the centre of town unless there is a lot of slow moving traffic) you would cut out quite a lot of the drag. When you finish you follow the slope down, going down is iffy on the knees but not so tiring. As long as you keep going down you will get back to Main Street eventually.

I do keep meaning to go to the tunnels, we went years ago, before it was under this company and it is interesting. I think at Easter when my girls are back from Uni we might have a trip. It is only open Monday - Friday 10.30 - 5.30 (and I wonder if they are open on Bank Holidays).

Today I went up on a Med Steps jaunt, the weather was fabulous and the steps were busy. I am out of condition, I had to stop twice :( .

Anyway the contact details I have for the tunnels are 20045957 and rock.fort@gibtelecom.net See if they can help you

• 4 months later...

We are in Gibraltar on Sept. 18th on the Grand Princess. The quoted cab rates seem to reflect pricing for up to 8 persons. My question is, do the cabbies make any attempt to fill their cabs at the pier and should we expect to pay on a per/person basis?

We are in Gibraltar on Sept. 18th on the Grand Princess. The quoted cab rates seem to reflect pricing for up to 8 persons. My question is, do the cabbies make any attempt to fill their cabs at the pier and should we expect to pay on a per/person basis?

At about £20 per person, there is a presumption of a full vehicle.

If you take a vehicle from the quayside & don't leave it til ridiculously late there will be plenty of fellow-cruisers looking to do the same, so effectively no wait.

That may not be the case if you look for a ride up the Rock from the town centre.

Drivers will happily take just two of you if you wish, but the price will be about the same as for a full vehicle.

All entry fees are included, tips are optional - a pound or two per person is about right.

Pay in £ or in € (currently £20 = about €24). Don't know if they accept USD.

If you're considering pre-booking to guarantee your transportation, you can probably fill it with folk you meet on the ship or on the quayside, provided the price pp is about the same.

JB :)

Archived