Flowrider height restrictions

The RCI site says you have to be at least 52 inches tall.

My soon to be 9-year-old daughter is 50.5 inches and praying for a growth spurt in the next 78 days! She wants to body surf on the Flowrider BADLY as she does this at the beach and loves it! She says the wave would be "gnarley long!" She thinks she's going to be the next Bethany Hamilton...;)

She also wants to do the zip line but will not meet the 75 pound weight minimum even if she somehow grows the inch and a half she wants before October. That's not such a big deal though as Mammoth Cave National Park, which is about an hour away, will let her do their course and really....once you've done a zip through nature the one on the ship will pale in comparision :rolleyes:

Here's my question: If signed her up for PRIVATE flowrider lessons do you think they stick to the height restriction? My thinking is that yes they would but it doesn't hurt to investigate!

Anyone?

My son was 51 1/2" and they would not allow him to do it. I should have told him to put his weight on his toes. They were nice about it, very apologetic.

They said it is a safty issue if they are too short they can fly off the back or get hit with the board when they loose it. My 7 YO DS was starting to cry so I just said okay and took him for a ice cream.

They have a measurment thing and before any child gets thier armband that allows them on it they measure them. Even my 9 YO DD who is almost 60" tall.

Remember to pack tennis shoes for rock climbing and long pants for ice skating. Capris are not allowed on the rink.

I can tell you with absolute certainty that they will NOT BUDGE on the height requirement. Our son was 51.5 inches. They have a little measuring sign that you stand under and the sign goes over your head (like a street sign). If it passes over your head without getting stuck, you're too short. Even if it brushes the hair, you're too short. My poor guy went up multiple times a day to measure himself, hoping he'd grown on the cruise.

It's a liability issue. They will not let your child use the Flowrider if they do not meet the minimum height requirements. And they must do it barefoot (no wearing any sort of shoe that might give them added height). The measuring stand is directly across from the sign up booth up on the sports deck, so the staff are right there checking.

I hope your child has that growth spurt to get them tall enough to ride the Flowrider. My son is now tall enough so the next time on a Freedom class ship, he'll be up there as well.

Now, making a 75 lb minimum weight for a zipline...that might take a few years more!

Time to put Miracle Grow in her chocolate milk! :p

Actually, I'm cool with the restrictions as it is for safety purposes. King's Island (Ohio theme park) has a flow rider and their height restriction is 42 inches which seems CRAZY to me!

Edited by Messunderstood

No there pretty strict on the zip line as well. There really strict on the flowrider. They do it for a reason. I hope your daughter grows enough and is eligible to do the flowrider. Best of luck.

If you try a water park on land with a flowrider the height restrictions aren't as tall in most places.

No there pretty strict on the zip line as well. There really strict on the flowrider. They do it for a reason. I hope your daughter grows enough and is eligible to do the flowrider. Best of luck.

If you try a water park on land with a flowrider the height restrictions aren't as tall in most places.

HEY! I see that you will be on getting off the Allure the same day we will be boarding! See what you can do to lower that pole by an inch for me, OK? :D

• 5 years later...

I have a hunch that it isn't about safety at all. I think they make the height requirement that tall to purposely exclude younger kids to keep the line shorter. I say this because my 9 year old daughter has done it before at other places. Her first time she was 6 years old and around 44 inches probably. Every place else it is 42" to ride flowrider. I am really pissed off finding this out now, 48 days before we sail that my kids won't be able to do the one activity they were looking forward to most.

Re the zip line weight. We did the one at Icy Straits in Alaska and a young girl next to me barely made the weight cutoff. The wind was coming at us and twice she slowed down almost to a stop. She was terrified. I, in the other hand, made it down very quickly! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have a hunch that it isn't about safety at all. I think they make the height requirement that tall to purposely exclude younger kids to keep the line shorter. I say this because my 9 year old daughter has done it before at other places. Her first time she was 6 years old and around 44 inches probably. Every place else it is 42" to ride flowrider. I am really pissed off finding this out now, 48 days before we sail that my kids won't be able to do the one activity they were looking forward to most.

You probably would sue/complain bitterly if your daughter was hurt. There are times when there is no line, and even if there is a line, it moves quickly. Remember the ship is moving - makes a difference. Insurance/liability is the reason. Perhaps you should have checked instead of now being angry.

Wow this is old thread good searching.

My DD has done flow riding on land and the ones on ship are "bigger" and stronger she says. They can turn up or down the speed of the water I think. As PP said the ship is moving and its also very windy off the back where the flowrider is all that effects it.

Sorry your DD is not tall enough to do it. The good news is you should be able to avoid the area easy to not get her upset about it.

The rules are there not just to protect you but to protect RCCL. It has nothing to do with keeping "little" kids out of line more likely to keep little kids out of the infirmary.

Edited by Jenjer
fix