Cruises to Nowhere - Your Experiences?

OK Rancher

I havent done one recently, but I have. Its just another cruise, you just dont go into any ports. The main difference was you are charged tax in the duty free shops, and dont go thru customs.

Often the per day price is higher than a regular cruise.

I havent done one recently, but I have. Its just another cruise, you just dont go into any ports. The main difference was you are charged tax in the duty free shops, and dont go thru customs.

Often the per day price is higher than a regular cruise.

Am I correct that a Cruise To Nowhere FROM Canada (Vancouver, BC) to the US (San Pedro,CA) would remain duty free???

I dont know, maybe host mach or someone knows better.

Since you are leaving from canada and coming to the US, that might mean a whole different ball of wax, even if you hit no ports.

Most recently I was on Ecstasy cruise to nowhere, and I knew when boarding it would hit no ports. If I had truly understood no customs, thats why the sales tax, I could have bought all the booze I wanted on this one particular cruise, since I drove.

Iv done a few others longer ago .. but never one that left from one country and docked finally in aother .. thats almost more like a moving of a ship?

I dont know, maybe host mach or someone knows better.

Since you are leaving from canada and coming to the US, that might mean a whole different ball of wax, even if you hit no ports.

Most recently I was on Ecstasy cruise to nowhere, and I knew when boarding it would hit no ports. If I had truly understood no customs, thats why the sales tax, I could have bought all the booze I wanted on this one particular cruise, since I drove.

Iv done a few others longer ago .. but never one that left from one country and docked finally in aother .. thats almost more like a moving of a ship?

Yes, it really is a repositioning cruise, but Carnival sees fit to call it a "cruise to nowhere". From cruising other lines, a "cruise to nowhere" usually leaves from one port, sails out aways, then returns to the same port. Not so with Carnival's "cruise to nowhere". I booked one from San Diego, nowhere on Carnival website did it mention Vancouver, but that's where the cruise was going to end. When I called back to verify that, the second PVP said, "it really is a repositioning cruise not a cruise to nowhere". So be careful and ask questions if the destination is important to you. I would have parked my car in San Diego, and ended the cruise in Vancouver.

I am a port person, so I would not be inclined to go on a cruise to nowhere. I would, however, do a repositioning cruise as long as I could build a trip out of it, or had to be in the area anyways.

They're a great way to get away for the weekend and have fun and relax. We've done 3 from Norfolk and 2 from NYC. Very enjoyable even though they cost more per day than a regular cruise.

They're a great way to get away for the weekend and have fun and relax. We've done 3 from Norfolk and 2 from NYC. Very enjoyable even though they cost more per day than a regular cruise.

Can you please give me some additional info regarding your CTN out of Norfolk? Looking at one for October 2011, but scared that the ocean may be too rocky this time of year.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

They're a fun weekend getaway. We have done one and two-nighters on Carnival and NCL. Yes, they are more per night than a 7 nighter, but if you stayed in NYC at a hotel and included meals and entertainment, it's not a bad deal.

Also a good way to check out ships you've not sailed.

We did a CTN in Oct/09 out of NYC on The Miracle. We booked 2 days before sailing $129pp, last minute, amazing we were in a 4J French door cabin. We had a great time.:)

There was a Noreaster, rough seas. Nothing like what The Dream went through out of NYC on their CTN.

We would do a CTN again but it would have to be a GREAT rate, the intensity is tremendous, you're only on the ship for 2 nights and you are trying to enjoy your time that your on there to the max. :D:D:D

Haven't done a cruise to nowhere, but did once get on a ship at Southampton UK, we should have left our passports at home, cruised around europe for seven days and we didnt once get off :)

We love staying on board, once you have seen it all, done it all, its nice to enjoy port days having a peaceful ship.

If we do get off now, its very early, and just a quick walk around and back on board. Unless we are meeting friends off ship, we do the cruise for sunshine, ship, entertainment and family.. my husband would happily stay on for 14 days!

Have done quite a few TA cruises, don't know if I'd do them again however as there is often too many bad weather days at sea, prefer sunshine on the deck, to being stuck indoors!

Archived