Cruise Critic Members: Get This!

hcf

After posting my original message here, I sent an e-mail to the address given to me by Ms. Culver, again, requesting a person to contact on the Dream to set up a place for a CC meeting. In addition, I gave a description of my interactions with Ms. Culver and asked for it to be referred to the appropriate person.

I did not receive any reply, so I sent the e-mail again a few days ago.

This time, I got a response back from a Priscilla Ortega, coordinator for the Dream. This is what she wrote:

"Good Afternoon,

First, I would like to introduce myself, Priscilla, ship coordinator for the

N. Dream. I would also like to apologize for the trouble you had trying to

schedule a Cruise Critic gathering. We do frequently schedule meetings for

Cruise Critics as we would any other group requesting space. Please inform

me the dates and times you would like to confirm space for and the

approximate number of guests you expect to attend. I will confirm the

locations right away. Please feel free to contact me if there is any other

way I can assist."

This makes me feel better. However, like2cruise, a passenger who'd just gotten off the Dream, did me the favor of asking about CC meetings for me:

" I spoke to Candace, the port and cruise consultant, regarding onboard Cruise Critic parties...she was very pleasant, but was unfamiliar with Cruise Critic and knew of no parties held onboard. Denied there was anyone else onboard that she thought would have any information either and recommended contacting the main office in Miami."

Hopefully, Priscilla will educate Candace and other Dream staff about CC meetings.

This makes me feel better. However, like2cruise, a passenger who'd just gotten off the Dream, did me the favor of asking about CC meetings for me:

" I spoke to Candace, the port and cruise consultant, regarding onboard Cruise Critic parties...she was very pleasant, but was unfamiliar with Cruise Critic and knew of no parties held onboard. Denied there was anyone else onboard that she thought would have any information either and recommended contacting the main office in Miami."

Hopefully, Priscilla will educate Candace and other Dream staff about CC meetings.

There are no official CC meetings on any NCL ship. If some of the staff onboard isn't familiar with this web site, it's not something anyone has done wrong. I understand wanting to have a meeting but you can't expect that anyone at NCL will know anything about CC because there is no affiliation.

I understand that there is no official relationship between NCL and CC. However, just as any other group would be granted a meeting space onboard (pending availability), the CC group should be granted the same. I see that now the OP has been directed to the appropriate person at NCL and it is being taken care of. Unfortunately, she should not have had to go through all the hoops and red tape before this came into place. Regardless of whether Ms. Culver thought the CC group was a "good idea" or not, she should have simply referred the OP to the group coordinator for the Dream, without negative comment. CC members shouldn't be given any special consideration over other groups requesting space, but the type of group shouldn't matter. This marketing lady messed up - and hopefully she has learned a little more about customer service.

I understand that there is no official relationship between NCL and CC. However, just as any other group would be granted a meeting space onboard (pending availability), the CC group should be granted the same.
I totally agree. It shouldn't matter what group you're with and that marketing person should have handled it that way. However, the OP approached it asking about a CC meeting. Not non-specific space for a random group. While the marketing person could have been less rude, when asked about a specific CC meeting, she had no idea. That's the only reason I point out that there's no relationship between NCL and CC. CC members need to know that there's no relationship so they can arrange their meetings without having this kind of trouble. I'm very happy that the OP got in contact with the right person and thanks to NCL for accomodating them. Maybe in the future, as CC grows, other cruise lines will be allowed some type of affiliation and this won't happen.

My experience with such meetings tells me it may depend on the Hotel Director's understanding and appreciation of the CC Message Board. I've spoken to four NCL HD's, and there seemed to me a broad range of difference in their interest.

The first meeting I went to on the Dawn in 2002, had no NCL representation, but maybe they did not even know about the gathering we had in Spinnakers. In 2003, I set up the meeting space, right off of Spinnakers, and scheduled it for 1/2 hour after we passed under the V-Bridge, targeting 5 PM or so. I planned on no visitor from the Dawn, but found they had sent what has been the normal group, but we had not arrived. They also invited us to a reception the following day, but a communication breakdown kept us from finding out about it until it was over. They gave us a royal treatment, but we missed it. Actually, because of the mixup, we met a bunch of the staff personally, and kept crossing paths with them throughout the week. In 2004 we got the full treatment in Star Bar, a great way to kick off the cruise.

I agree that the key to arranging the meeting is to determine a suitable location, and expect nothing in return. Let the ship know what you are doing, but mainly just look forward to meeting the CC'ers. As far as that goes, the intervention of the NCL staff actually interferes with the original goals for such a gathering.

...Cruise Critic participants are complainers. Maybe what they're really assuming is any group that talks about the Dream will soon be talking about their nightmares.

Maybe it would help if Cruise Critics changed their name to Cruise Enthusiasts... maybe it would help if NCL did a better job giving all of their customers something to be happy about.

...Cruise Critic participants are complainers. Maybe what they're really assuming is any group that talks about the Dream will soon be talking about their nightmares.

Maybe it would help if Cruise Critics changed their name to Cruise Enthusiasts... maybe it would help if NCL did a better job giving all of their customers something to be happy about.

exactly the problem with taking this board as a fair cross-section.... NCL has a well above 90% total satisfaction rating (as do most mainstream cruise lines), so IMHO, they're doing a admirable job keeping thousands of passengers very happy.

I've done 11 NCL cruises, four on the Dream...I'm pretty happy.

Many of them, especially the 'regulars' are cruise fanatics.
From what you see on this board, NCL goes out of its way for CC members. Remember the unofficial meetings on the Star in the Bier Garden every Monday and high level staff would show up? NCL is doing a lot for CCers. The OP got ahold of a bad rep. Thankfully the right person was reached.

At the request of one of our cc members, last Dec.... NCL Spirit staff arranged a room with coffee, juice, cookies, etc... then several officers turned up and answered questions.....

It was great...........

I was very impressed, I felt they went above and beyond....

We just got back from the Star. We had our Cruise Critic meeting in the Star bar. They did not have drinks or snacks for us but the Cruise director, hotel director, and restaurant director were there. All of them were very nice and pleasant to talk to. What really impressed me was every time we ran into them throughout the cruise they greeted us BY NAME and asked how things were going.

For not being an "official" group, I think NCL went above and beyond in making sure their top people were there to see us.

When I was on the "official line" last year they bent over backwards for the Cruise Critic folks. They set up a reception for all members, (sign up on line)we met the Social Director, the Cruise Director, and a few other members of the crew. We had great discussions on where the line was going in the future. We also had a few other events during the cruise. I think the key to the success is the Cruise Critic members themselves. It is all what you make of it !

Tom

Archived