Avalon excursion to Mt. Pilatus from Zurich?

Liza555

• 2 weeks later...

Mt Pilatus is definitely worth it assuming the weather is decent. If it is cloudy, rainy or high overcast, you won't be able to see much. If you buy the excursion you are stuck, though, so if you could wait as late as possible to make your decision based on the weather forecast, that might be your best course. We visited Mt Pilatus on our own while in Lucerne on an AMA Rhine cruise, and the weather alternated between rain, clouds and sun, but when the clouds broke, the view was spectacular.

We are going on the Romantic Rhine, and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the Mt. Pilatus excursion Avalon offers on the day you travel to Basel??

We are doing that cruise in August 2012 so hope you post a review on excursion to Alps and entire cruise. We have heard good things about Avalon.

If you want to get a good feel for the trip, you might want to review the July trip report string started by Ohio Traveling Lady. I also posted a Felicity report on the member board.

In that string, I posted how to get to Mt Pilatus/Lucerne from Zurich, if you want to make the arrangements yourself.

String is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1444641

• 1 month later...
We are going on the Romantic Rhine, and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the Mt. Pilatus excursion Avalon offers on the day you travel to Basel??

Hope I am not too late to respond to your question. I would definitely take the tour. We were there on a Globus trip about two years ago and it was fantastic. We went in October on a lovely fall day, as we started up on the Cogwheel train it began to snow. By the time we reached the top we were in a blizzard, it was fantastic. Nuturally we were not dressed for snow bu that was a minor inconvenience. Have fun!

Archived