Cell phone question (airplane mode)

bktaylor30

Nope it wasn't when your phone is in airplane mode there is no incoming or outgoing data service (meaning text & phone calls won't go through and the phone would not be connected to Wi-Fi unless you switched that on). So if you're phone is clearly in airplane mode you should not receive any additional charges. But you will be able to listen to MP3's stored on your phone or games that are downloaded to your phone.

Yes, but NCTRIBEFAN was asking how could a person transfer pics to facebook in airplane mode and your reply didnt take that into account.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They should not. When your phone is in airplane mode it is not receiving any data. I've always had my phone in airplane mode and haven't had any issues from my provider. It also make the battery last a lot longer.

Did you all enable the data connections when in port off the ship? And if so, did they charge you any differently?

I am going to Alaska next summer, and obviously that is in the US, so I am wondering if my verizon nation-wide calling plan will be treated like I am still in the States, because I am, haha!! I checked the coverage map and it says that it is Verizon coverage at my several ports of call. Just nervous and looking for some help, clarification, and reassurance, LOL!

I used Verizon all over in Alaska when I was off the ship anywhere I could get a signal, and I wasn't charged anything extra on four different trips up there.

Did you all enable the data connections when in port off the ship? And if so, did they charge you any differently?

I am going to Alaska next summer, and obviously that is in the US, so I am wondering if my verizon nation-wide calling plan will be treated like I am still in the States, because I am, haha!! I checked the coverage map and it says that it is Verizon coverage at my several ports of call. Just nervous and looking for some help, clarification, and reassurance, LOL!

Of course it will be treated like you are in any other state that you visit. Used the phone extensively for voice and data last year in AK and the bill was the same flat fee that it is every month.

OK...so if I put my phone on airplane mode, the time will stay at home time and not automatically switch to local time....correct???

I believe the phone will still update, you just can't make calls, do anything with data, etc. I will be sure to verify this when I fly out of central time and land in eastern time later on today.

Despite my warnings...my son turned on his phone while still on the ship and in port in Nassau. I received an email from Verizon upon our return home that informed me that data charges in the Bahamas was $20 a (megabyte?)

Turning his phone on and off ended up costing him $15 on the next bill !

FYI

Just make sure you are OFF the ship not just in port when going out of airplane mode.

Being in port but still on the ship you will hit the cellular at sea and be charged by that.

That is not true. I have made calls my cell phone from the ports and have never been billed by Cellular at Sea. I think, but am not sure, that there is something that if the ship is within a mile from port or so, that Cellular at Sea is turned off. Perhaps others will know more, but I know on Sprint and ATT, we haven't been billed.

Archived