Lifeboats Allure and Oasis

Thanks to the person that posted #16, which, today is correct. Maritime law dictates safety aboard, which includes the number of lifeboats and rafts that will take care of everyone aboard......in case of emergency.

The insure the safety of the passengers at sea, the ship is required to perform different emegency drills on a regular basis. Everyone, from the captain on down, wants us, the passengers to be safe, in case of any ships failures.

So, I just wanted to make note of how many try to dodge the mandatory life boat drill for passengers on day 1.

Today, on Royal Caribbean, passengers do not have to don life jackets, and wear them to their muster stations. They just have to know where their stations are.....by showing up......just once!

And, in case of a real emergency.......what is so important....is knowing where your muster station is, how to get there, and what to bring.

Thanks to those that have dug up some wonderful videos!!

I think that this is a great topic for discussion!:)

Rick

Today, on Royal Caribbean, passengers do not have to don life jackets, and wear them to their muster stations. They just have to know where their stations are.....by showing up......just once!

And, in case of a real emergency.......what is so important....is knowing where your muster station is, how to get there, and what to bring.

If the ship is going down, how many people will be heading for their muster station? When we were on Freedom, we had to traverse three sets of stairs to get to our muster station in he dining room from our room. In the dining room in an enclosed space. If the ship is sinking, you think I want to be there? Now if it is some other emergency like a fire or some other issue, perhaps that would be fine, though I would prefer all muster stations to be on an exterior part of the ship.

If you need to use a life raft, you don't need to jump into the ocean and swim for a raft. An earlier poster tried to explain that there are chutes that allow you to slide safely to rafts at the oceam level. Once at the bottom, you can transfer to another raft. Here's a link that describes the system. You can see a picture of this system next to the Allure or Oasis. Here's the link http://www.viking-life.com/viking.nsf/public/products-dualchutesystems.html

To get in the inflatable rafts you "step over the side" of the ship. If you did this from say deck 11, you would probably be seriously injured when you hit the water.

Stepping over would happen from a lower deck, or after the ship sank or listed enough to greatly lessen the distance to the water. When the raft is deployed it will inflate, then the person would swim, paddle, or be towed to the raft. They would then crawl in.

It is very important to wear your life jacket properly so as not to break your neck if having to step over from a high distance from the water.

Here is a video of a raft deployment.

OMG- this might be fun to do inthe AquaPark on Labadee, but now way would that be fun on formal night in the Atlantic ocean:eek: and sorry to say not many of us cruise pax look like those limber little gymnasts in the tests;)

The insure the safety of the passengers at sea, the ship is required to perform different emegency drills on a regular basis. Everyone, from the captain on down, wants us, the passengers to be safe, in case of any ships failures.

So, I just wanted to make note of how many try to dodge the mandatory life boat drill for passengers on day 1.

Rick

My best memory of muster was on Majesty when it was just DW and me, no DD on that cruise...we were at muster and the sun was in our eyes and it was hot...one lady was moaning about having to do muster and going on and on...

So I look at DW and said sure bet the folks on XYZ (ship that sank earlier in the week in the Southern Ocean off Antarctica) were glad they went to muster and knew what to do. Of course they had lots of time to get it right as they left their ship...but it sure did hust the moaning woman. Also got a lot of smiles from other who were tired of her moaning...

That was my first sailing with Captain Rob the former oil field boat captain...

To person asking how the crew are getting to the rubber rafts...they take the side slide that comes out just for the evac. A link to the use of said slide was posted earlier in the thread as well. Actually a neat concept and one I think should be deployed on ALL offshore oil drilling rigs and platforms. In the BP blow-out/spill and multiple deaths, several of the crew did jump from the side of the rig into the water, which is 90'+ freefall before hitting the water....much higher than a jump from deck 5 of the Oasis/Allure.

Archived