Recent Barcelona Port Report Please?

WillieC

earlier reports state there is a shop AFTER security (where bags are scanned)...

We were just there as we embarked in late June. There are shops after security. We bought only a 6-pack of soda (which was a good price compared to what we knew they would charge onboard) and cannot remember seeing liquor for sale. BUT - we absolutely do remember the stores were after security. We remarked to each other how it must obviously be the port and not RCI selling the items.... for obvious reasons. ;)

You know what? Yes, they did scan our carry-ons of course, and I did ask my husband if they scanned after we bought our items at the store. He remembers, as do I - correctly or not? - that we went through security first and then went to the store on the way to the ship. Like I said, we both remarked how it obviously wasn't run by RCI because they certainly don't want you buying soda and alcohol to bring on their ships, right?

This was 7 weeks ago and I'm sure this was the case...

And still it’s all luck…

We had a friend with us on the June 11th Liberty sailing, she had two bottles of white wine just laying in her suitcase (intentionally, she had really no idea you were not allowed to do that), these where not confiscated. She even placed the two bottles in the minibar in her room, the stateroom attendant didned pay any attention to the bottles. Glasses she got from vintages and a corkscrew was easy accessible via a friendly crewmember.

On topic, yes there is a shop after security,EDIT: The carry on scanners are before the shop (I was wrong, checked video of the cruise).

Which means there isn't a scanner on the embarkation deck. Yet.

On my June 25th Independence of the Seas cruise they brought one of the moveable x-ray machines out on to deck 4 walkway for guests returning to the ship and were taking alchol purchased at the Terminal shop. This however was a port stop in Barcelona mid cruise and not a changeover day.

I was on Langley's cruise and agree. Security scan, then shops...no more additional security checks after. And yes, on port days, you were still subjected to scans as you returned to the ship. At one Italy port, the line for confiscated alcohol was so long that I just slipped by (with lemoncello in tow!)...nobody stopped me!;)

We boarded there in June and yes, it is possible to buy at the duty free shop that is after check in and security and take 'what ever you buy' on board with you. We just put it in our backpacks and walked right on.

No extra security to go through and no one checking bags. Just a FYI, rum runners worked too.

We also walked on board with Lemoncello in Naples with no problem.

For all those wondering, we still bought probably more then our share at the bar.

Archived