St. Peter's Basilica to Pantheon?

musicmom3

We are taking our cruise line's train/bus to a place described as "St. Peter's Station, 730 yards from Vatican City," and are free from there to explore Rome on our own. I'd be grateful for a reality check on a good way to get from St. Peter's to the Pantheon. It seems like we could take Bus 64 from Vatican City to the Largo Argentina stop and be near the Pantheon. Likewise, the 116 Elettrico Minibus seems to be an option, although the route seems a little confusing. As far as I can see, a third option would be to take Metro A from The Cipro stop in Vatican City to Barberini and then take the 116 to the Pantheon. Since the Vatican Museum will be closed (it will be All Saints Day, a holiday, when we are in Rome), we will not be in that area, and I suspect with the crowds around St. Peter's we will just want to get to the Pantheon as quickly and easily as possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

The only route that makes sense is to take the #64 bus. It begins right at the San Pietro train station and you stay on it for nine stops, getting off just before Largo Argentina.

You can see the bus route here: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=64RT&idmtram=51823&xmax=2313023&ymax=4642392&xmin=2308454&ymin=4640681&tipologia=URB&linea=64&circo=NO

Largo Argentina is also a good stop if you want to head south of that bus route: there are easy ways on foot from there to Campo de Fiori and the Piazza Borghese, or across the Tiber to Trastevere.

The only route that makes sense is to take the #64 bus. It begins right at the San Pietro train station and you stay on it for nine stops, getting off just before Largo Argentina.

You can see the bus route here: http://trovalinea.atac.roma.it/zoom_in.asp?VediSemafori=off&VediMeb=off&VediParcometri=off&VediFermate=off&VediLinee=off&VediRivendite=off&percorso=64RT&idmtram=51823&xmax=2313023&ymax=4642392&xmin=2308454&ymin=4640681&tipologia=URB&linea=64&circo=NO

Thank you Euro Cruiser! This sounds easy and I have written it into my travel log. My map doesn't show a San Pietro train station, just Cipro. But I can see the 64 bus runs right outside of the Gianicolo Terminal (whatever that is) directly to Largo Argentina. I couldn't even find the bus on the link you attached--I had been on that site earlier this morning and it frustrated my already frustrating lack of map-reading ability. I wanted to throw the computer out the door!

And thank you Tom_UK! If time allows, I was thinking about incorporating part of a Trastevere walk featured in a Fodor's book, so this is valuable information.

Check out this map: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=383

You can see the "Stazione di San Pietro" and that the 64 bus has an endpoint right outside the station. The description of "730 yards from Vatican City" makes it seem like the station is closer to the Vatican than it really is. It's a good 10-15 walk along twisty streets, assuming you don't make any wrong turns.

As mentioned, that's by far your best option.

Check out this map: http://www.atac.roma.it/files/doc.asp?r=383

You can see the "Stazione di San Pietro" and that the 64 bus has an endpoint right outside the station. The description of "730 yards from Vatican City" makes it seem like the station is closer to the Vatican than it really is. It's a good 10-15 walk along twisty streets, assuming you don't make any wrong turns.

As mentioned, that's by far your best option.

Wcook! I finally found the Stazione di San Pietro and the 64 bus on the map! Thank you! And as the crow flies, the distance to the Pantheon seems short. I can't reconcile Euro Cruiser's "9 stops" from St. Peter's to the Pantheon, though, because the orange pathways seem to all run one way...and the wrong way! I am sure there is something I am not seeing. Would you happen to know the full name of the stop I want for the Pantheon? Thanks again!

Wcook! I finally found the Stazione di San Pietro and the 64 bus on the map! Thank you! And as the crow flies, the distance to the Pantheon seems short. I can't reconcile Euro Cruiser's "9 stops" from St. Peter's to the Pantheon, though, because the orange pathways seem to all run one way...and the wrong way! I am sure there is something I am not seeing. Would you happen to know the full name of the stop I want for the Pantheon? Thanks again!

If you click on the link eurocruiser provided, the stops (Fermata in Italian) are listed on the right hand side of the screen, starting from Stazione San Pietro; the 9th stop listed is C.so Vittorio Emanuele/Argentina.

If taking bus #64, be aware that it has the reputation of being the pickpocketer's delight. Keep your valuables hidden, best if you use some sort of money belt/pouch worn inside your clothing. ;)

Cruisemom42, the stories about pickpockets are intense. In all my reading there are these stories! My husband will be wearing a money pouch and I have a small cross-body bag that I can tuck under my jacket. I would be confident in wearing it outside my jacket except it has a leather strap that can be sliced. According to what I have read, cross-body bags with metal-reinforced--unsliceable--straps are recommended. I wish more women's jackets had inside pockets where I could keep a small wallet. :(

If you click on the link eurocruiser provided, the stops (Fermata in Italian) are listed on the right hand side of the screen, starting from Stazione San Pietro; the 9th stop listed is C.so Vittorio Emanuele/Argentina.

Thank you so much! There is always something that I don't see even when right in front of my eyes. (I am on unit 10 of my Pimsleur Italian CDs and haven't gotten to transportation yet--I think it is time to skip forward!)

Grazie tanto!

Thank you so much, cruisemom42! There is always something that I don't see even when right in front of my eyes. (I am on unit 10 of my Pimsleur Italian CDs and haven't gotten to transportation yet--I think it is time to skip forward!)

Grazie tanto!

Perhaps making a google map for yourself would help you visualize this.

The Rome San Pietro train station is located at Via della Stazione San Pietro, 1, Rome, Italy.

The #64 bus stop nearest to the Pantheon, the Corso Emanuele/Argentina stop is located at Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 108, Rome Italy.

The Pantheon is located at Piazza della Rotonda 12, Rome, Italy.

As for safety, of course you should take reasonable precautions. I have an LL Bean rain jacket that has an inside zippered pocket that I wear when I travel in the spring and fall. It's lightweight, but also has a liner I can zip in for cooler weather. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66119?feat=610-GN1

If you are starting at the Vatican, you can ride the #64 down the hill to the Vatican. The bus driver will tell you when to get off but it should be obvious. If the bus turns right and goes under a tunnel then you have gone too far!

A nice way to get from the Vatican to the Pantheon (if you do no want to walk or cannot walk that far) is to take one of the small electrico busses that wind through the old city and will go right by the Pantheon.

A nice way to get from the Vatican to the Pantheon (if you do no want to walk or cannot walk that far) is to take one of the small electrico busses that wind through the old city and will go right by the Pantheon.

This is a good alternative for the heart of the centro storico, but you can't get this bus, #116, from the Vatican. It begins across the Tiber at Largo dei Fiorentini.

Let me once again mention the little satin pouch that clips onto one's bra straps. It costs about $10 and is 'priceless'! It holds my sea pass, a credit card and enough cash for the day--and is completely unnoticeable. I just keep a few euros in my front pocket for bus fare, etc. It has allowed me to enjoy my destinations rather than be concerned for the safety of my belongings!

Perhaps making a google map for yourself would help you visualize this.

The Rome San Pietro train station is located at Via della Stazione San Pietro, 1, Rome, Italy.

The #64 bus stop nearest to the Pantheon, the Corso Emanuele/Argentina stop is located at Corso Vittorio Emanuele II, 108, Rome Italy.

The Pantheon is located at Piazza della Rotonda 12, Rome, Italy.

As for safety, of course you should take reasonable precautions. I have an LL Bean rain jacket that has an inside zippered pocket that I wear when I travel in the spring and fall. It's lightweight, but also has a liner I can zip in for cooler weather. http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/66119?feat=610-GN1

I have yet to venture into Goggle maps, but I will be doing that now, Euro Cruiser. Thank you for the addresses.

I have a Land's End version of your jacket, and just checked and there is an inside zippered pocket. It's in an awkward place, but at least it is there! I have had the jacket for several years and never noticed it before. Happy!

Let me once again mention the little satin pouch that clips onto one's bra straps. It costs about $10 and is 'priceless'! It holds my sea pass, a credit card and enough cash for the day--and is completely unnoticeable. I just keep a few euros in my front pocket for bus fare, etc. It has allowed me to enjoy my destinations rather than be concerned for the safety of my belongings!

CathyCruises, is there a particular brand of this that you recommend? I have never heard of this accessory before. It is not awkward to remove and replace items? Must one slip into a phone booth to do so? :D

Archived