Who sailed on Queen Elizabeth (1939)?

My most thrilling moment at sea was in July 1966 aboard RMS Queen Elizabeth, westbound transatlantic. The ship's newspaper had announced that we would meet the Queen Mary in mid-Atlantic at about 10:17 that morning. I was a skeptical 12-year-old and doubted that they could predict the meeting with such precision, but I was out on deck in a cold Atlantic fog at the appointed time. Then, looming dramatically out of the fog, there she was: the Queen Mary surging along under full power, the most beautiful thing I had ever seen! The Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary saluted each other with a deep, long blast on their sirens --- a thundering bass note that seemed to rumble in your bones. I was struck to my soul, ecstatically happy, and loved those ships like no object on Earth! The Romance of the Sea! Every cruise since brings me a glorious echo of that early passion. :D

HELLO RALPH!

It appears that you and I come from the same era...the twilight of the great Atlantic Liners. If you read some of the threads on this site you will find comments about the great liners of yesterday. I was just 16 years old when I crossed the Atlantic in July of 1965...onboard the RMS QUEEN ELIZABETH. I boarded her near Midnight on July 13...sailing the next day from New York on July 14th. The minute I looked out the bus window and saw the bow of that great ship...I fell in love. You are absolutely right when you say you were ecstatically happy...I explored every inch of that great ship and loved every minute that I was onboard. I, too, saw the great QUEEN MARY in mid-ocean and I felt the exact same way that you did...a sight that I shall never forget. The Queens were beautiful and yes, they were lovable, as was proven by the outpouring of pride and affection on both sides of the Atlantic when the Queens were withdrawn from service. Every time I step onboard another cruise ship...my mind harkens back to that evening in New York Harbor and that wonderful feeling and the romance of the ships and the sea is rekindled again...glorious, indeed.

I don't often post here, and am far too young to have shared a similar experience, but just wanted to say that was wonderful story. I can almost see your memory through your words.

There is indeed something magical about great ships on the open sea. Thanks for sharing.

Wonderful stories- I agree- and can imagine the magic you felt. The first cruise one takes is always unforgetable. I never forget my first dinner in the Olympic Dinning Room on board Millenium- it was is if I were transported back in time..!

Michael

Hello HogW and Michael.

Ralph has truly described the meeting of the Queen Mary in mid ocean. It really happened just as he said. The Queen Mary came thundering onwards about a mile off...and the two ships exchanged their salutes in that deep earth-shaking boom. The sight of the Mary was something that I will never see again. She was so powerful, in her element, and she was beautiful and majestic at the same time. You can find a wonderful YouTube video showing this event...amongst the Queen Mary videos. The Queen Mary was really special as she had been the first of this set. Many mariners claimed that the Queen Elizabeth had the most beautiful profile of any liner that ever sailed...and I am inclined to agree. She was absolutely as beautiful as she was stately.

Hello HogW and Michael.

Ralph has truly described the meeting of the Queen Mary in mid ocean. It really happened just as he said. The Queen Mary came thundering onwards about a mile off...and the two ships exchanged their salutes in that deep earth-shaking boom. The sight of the Mary was something that I will never see again. She was so powerful, in her element, and she was beautiful and majestic at the same time. You can find a wonderful YouTube video showing this event...amongst the Queen Mary videos. The Queen Mary was really special as she had been the first of this set. Many mariners claimed that the Queen Elizabeth had the most beautiful profile of any liner that ever sailed...and I am inclined to agree. She was absolutely as beautiful as she was stately.

As far as looks are concerned, I'd have to go with the elegant second Mauretania...

mauretania2_02.jpg

Compared to her the Elizabeth appears to be a dowager who has consumed too many cream cakes.

cu_qe.jpg

Hi Jim and Stan,

The Mauritania II was a very nice ship...with a beautiful profile...but the picture you have of the Elizabeth does not do it justice. I think it was Frank Braynard who said that he thought the Elizabeth was the most beautiful silhouette he had ever seen. I agree...if you look at the entire length of the ship from the side...she is very much in proportion. I would say that the Mauritania II not only looked beautiful...but she had the best food. Her menus were some of the best that Cunard ever produced.

139008.jpg

RMS_Queen_Elizabeth_tug.jpg I'm sorry but I think that we are going to have to agree to disagree about this one.

The Elizabeth just has too much superstructure for me. :o

Heck, The Mauretania even looked good in Cruising Green:

210939.jpg

Could either of the Queens survive a paint job like this?

I think the Queen Elizabeth had to be seen from a distance so you could see the entire ship from her side. Up close, it does look like she is top heavy...but from a distance...she looked perfect.

ex610p_qe.jpg

Just how much of a distance? :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLRAbflztgzHoB7rLF9zCy3b-N9aa6IHE1i5MKwcvq7WxtrQV-

I think the Queen Elizabeth had to be seen from a distance so you could see the entire ship from her side. Up close, it does look like she is top heavy...but from a distance...she looked perfect.

Friends, we can never settle an argument about beauty. Be it about ships or women, let us agree there are many different ways to be beautiful, all colored by our emotional attachments, and let us celebrate them all! For instance, I was admiring a Coast Guard patrol vessel the other day: nothing superfluous, every feature pragmatic, functional, strong and purposeful, yet the whole was beautiful, like a muscular Amazon warrior-girl. :D

I was going through a lot of cruise and ship travel memorabilia that's been in the attic for ages. Not from the 1939 QE, but from the QE2. In 1972 I was with my parents and sister on a sailing. I don't know if it's because we were a family of 4 in a fairly pricy suite, but my Dad was presented by the captain with a 750ml black ceramic jug of single malt scotch. On the jug is say's "Queen Elizabeth 2 Single Malt Scotch", and it's in a black presentation box lined with tartan plaid and the same verbiage is on the box. Needless to say....the scotch is long gone, but I think the jug , which has been in someone's attic for nearly 40 years will now have a prominent place on my liquor cabinet.

I've been at my parent's house the last few days doing some work around their house. They asked if I would take an old trunk to Goodwill, but I had to tell them I'll take it for now and donate it later if I decide not to keep it. Although not a fancy trunk, it made four trans-Atlantic crossings in the '50s....including one time on the Queen Mary and one time on the Queen Elizabeth. I just couldn't get rid of it yet.

Ya..... menus, luggage tags (some that have a block "not wanted during voyage"), pins, buttons, little Italian Line tamborenes, passenger lists, bar menus (a mixed drink was $1.20 and an after dinner liquore was 35 cents) on the "Oceanic" in 1978. I've seen on some of the old ship memorabilia sites that sell this stuff that some menu's go for around $8 each. I'm sittin' on a gold mine! We did a family winter cruise every year since the mid 60-s (and we still do) plus transatlantic sailings and I've keep just about everything one could keep from all of the trips. I found an old ticket from an "Oceanic" winter cruise 11 or 12 days to the Caribbean out of NY in 1978...... $780. We paid $800 for a 12 day Caribbean cruise just this past February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drinks however, were not $1.20. In 1956 my grandparents went to Italy on the Andrea Doria, in fact, they were on the last east bound sailing. As it was eastbound, there probably didn't seem the need to "collect" any items as they were supposed to return on it in Sept and would have had a cache of goodies . They ended up on the "Cristoforo Columbo" And ya.....I got a box of stuff from that sailing.

Ya..... menus, luggage tags (some that have a block "not wanted during voyage"), pins, buttons, little Italian Line tamborenes, passenger lists, bar menus (a mixed drink was $1.20 and an after dinner liquore was 35 cents) on the "Oceanic" in 1978. I've seen on some of the old ship memorabilia sites that sell this stuff that some menu's go for around $8 each. I'm sittin' on a gold mine! We did a family winter cruise every year since the mid 60-s (and we still do) plus transatlantic sailings and I've keep just about everything one could keep from all of the trips. I found an old ticket from an "Oceanic" winter cruise 11 or 12 days to the Caribbean out of NY in 1978...... $780. We paid $800 for a 12 day Caribbean cruise just this past February!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Drinks however, were not $1.20. In 1956 my grandparents went to Italy on the Andrea Doria, in fact, they were on the last east bound sailing. As it was eastbound, there probably didn't seem the need to "collect" any items as they were supposed to return on it in Sept and would have had a cache of goodies . They ended up on the "Cristoforo Columbo" And ya.....I got a box of stuff from that sailing.

My parents and my younger brother age 11 and myself age 14 went to Italy on the Cristoforo Columbo May 31 sailing 1955 and returnd home from Italy on the Anrea Doria out of Genoa the end of August 1955. We were so fortunate to experience First Class even though we were young. Our staterooms were suites across from the Catholic Chapel. I remember so many wonderful things about both ships. My brother and I explored every nook and cranny of both ships........we were all over the ship .....top to bottom......something only kids could get away with in those days. It was the most saddest day in my life when we as a family saw the news report on our little family TV about the tragic accident and then having to watch the sinking of the Andrea Doria. I have somehow over more than 50+ years still have my s mainly some postcards and the formal printed menues that were presented to our parents I think every night.

HI Tika and Marco,

Hang on to those menus and other pieces of memorabilia. The value keeps going up! Especially those Andrea Doria menus...WOW!

Marco, I remember getting a mixed drink on the ELIZABETH for 35 cents!! LOL!!! Draft beers were 5 cents!!! Champagne went for $3.75 a bottle and the party never ended!!

HI Tika and Marco,

Hang on to those menus and other pieces of memorabilia. The value keeps going up! Especially those Andrea Doria menus...WOW!

Marco, I remember getting a mixed drink on the ELIZABETH for 35 cents!! LOL!!! Draft beers were 5 cents!!! Champagne went for $3.75 a bottle and the party never ended!!

CGNormandie.......I share with you and anyone interested one of the menus. I have four.

The Front cover is a beautiful water color of a glass vase with red, purple and white flowers. It says Anemoni aralee e giacinti & A. Galietti Farewell Dinner given in honor of......then my parents and our names. Inside cover on the top has Tn "Andrea Doria"

Capt. GUISEPPE CHALVIEN FAREWELL DINNER Tuesday, September 6, 1955 The menu is mouth watering.......some entrees were Pheasant of reserve with Brandy Bread Sauce, Chateaubriand Henry IV, Tuscany capon on the skewer, A cold buffet, Farewell cake, Baked Alaska and Italian Sparkling Wine. I have often thought of having the menus framed but then I would loose being able to read all the wonderful delicious food one could order.

Hi Tika,

I also have a few Andrea Doria menus from the First Class! The Italian Line really knew how to put out great food. We spent 10 days on the Leonardo Da Vinci and we still say it was the best food and service we ever had. OBTW...the Italians really knew how to make pheasant...I can still remember having it...fantastico!!

• 4 months later...

My father sailed from the US to Europe on the Queen Elizabeth when she was a troop ship during WWII. He told me that she was stripped down and that they even had soldiers sleeping in the empty swimming pool.

Archived