Back from AMAKatarina Moscow to St Petersburg

lkbside

I appreciate everyone's candid reviews of this ship. We have sailed with AMA previously (Prague to Budapest) and were happy with our trip. I actually had considered a Russia river cruise, but have decided against it based on what I have learned here. Still am considering a Mekong River cruise with AMA however.

RachelG, we have made the same Russia decision you have. We will be on AMA's La Marguerite this November in Cambodia/Vietnam and will post a full review when we return. We have high expectations for this trip in spite of AMA Russia (most of the reviews are glowing) but we switched from AMA to Tauck for our Budapest-Amsterdam trip in 2012.

Hi again Island Cruiser,

You made a wise decision with going with Tauck. Everything but the airfare is included and we had a problem free experience on the Rhine/Moselle last summer. Tauck makes you feel that they are there only to please their customers. Our next Tauck tour will be number 18 if I added correctly!

Sheila

I would say about half the passengers on our August trip were Australian and part of an APT group - they were assigned to their own buses as well. They had a special deal where their gratuities were included, which was mentioned during the end of cruise briefing. We also heard on-board that APT was an investor in AMA.

As far as the toiletries go, they are very strongly scented - especially the cherry pie soap. They give you one bar of soap, so even if you like it (one of my friends did), if you don't want to transfer it to and from the shower stall then you might want to bring an additional small bar of soap.

At least half of the passengers on our June trip were APT. APT had a couple on the ship who were with the company. They wore APT shirts. We really enjoyed the company of many of the APT folks.

We had a bar of Palmolive soap not "cherry pie". There was shampoo and shower gel. They were green and in little bottles. DH didn't much mind them. I have extremely sensitive skin and only use my own products which I bring with me. I used the bar of soap for hand washing after using the potty, never to shower with.

Hi Leslie,

So much for "indulgent toiletries"!! I'm bringing my own.

Sheila

DH said they weren't so bad. I always bring my own. I never know what's in the stuff in hotels and cruise ships. I prefer to travel without an allergic reaction to my skin. :)

Hi Kellie,

I also bring my own as I have allergies, but it would have been nice if they didn't add the words "luxurious cruise" and "indulgent toiletries" to their literature or booking sites. More false info.

Sheila

Advertising hype is all over, not just on river cruise ship brochures. :D I believe the term is "puffery" and, as such, is not legally considered "false info"

Frankly, if I believed everything in a brochure I'd not bother to be on Cruise Critic. I come here for information from people, not copy writers. Know what I mean?

Hi Kathy,

Looking forward to meeting you and your DH on the river cruise. Have a safe trip there.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

Happy travels to you and your husband, too! I have spent the day packing and I'm getting so excited. We leave on Monday for St. P. See you on the ship!

Kathy

GOOD MORNING "AMA WATERWAYS - AMA MSKATARINA SHIPMATES"

Well here we are - only 5 more days before we "embark" on the AMA MSKatarina" (sailing Sept. 8th - 19th, 2011 - "St. Petersburg" to "Moscow") & We are very excited to begin our "Russian Adventure"!!! :)

As far as the "good" &/or "bad" reviews & "postings" have been - We are going with a "postive attitude" to have a great time & see all that we paid for & enjoy the "Russian" History, Culture, especially the Scenery and just maybe we will be surprized with some delictable cuisine... maybe in the "Desserts" at least!?... even though I'm a "Diabetic" - I'm going to be on "vacation" & happy to indulge!? ;)

It can't get much worse!?... only better!?... so let's get on the "Feel Good & Be Happy Gang Wagon" & have a "Great Time" & some "FUN"!?;)

I have noticed pacmom "posted" that "Uglich" is the place to shop for small gifts!? I know Janet (kelliepoodle) had emailed me (when replying to some of my questions) & "posted" that "Svirstroy" has good shopping for small souvenirs as well!? Any other "postings" with valuable information please "post" here as well & thank you!!! ;)

We look forward to meeting Y'All at the "Welcome Cocktail Party" on Thurs., Sept. 8th (I will have on my Canadian tie in red/white/black)!!! ;)

Bon Voyage & Safe Travels Y'All... until we meet!!! :)

Bye4now... Gladys Marie (msfancy) & Gail

Hi again Gladys Marie and Gail,

Have a safe journey to St. Petersburg. Just wanted to let you know that we aren't having an official "Welcome Cocktail Party" upon arrival on the ship. It's just to meet after arrival and we will all be arriving at different times.

Sheila

"Complaints of ill-prepared, low quality food have been a constant complaint of many AMA cruisers. Why this problem hasn't been/isn't fully addressed and rectified continues to be a puzzlement," says a recent poster.

We experienced the same issue on an AMA Tulip Time cruise several years ago. We ended up eating on shore in Holland and Belgium with another couple from the cruise, to avoid dinner on board; these were some of the best, most memorable meals in all our travels. However, after the cruise, I did post my impressions on CC boards and was thoroughly skewered for stating the facts: AMA food is at best akin to your school cafeteria (and at worst, appears MUCH worse.) Our complaints echo those on many posts I've seen consistently criticizing AMA dining.

AMA hires independent "hotel services" to run operations like food service, room maintenance on the boat. Our boat had an Eastern European crew with variable command of English, and appeared to be poorly trained as to service standards. I attribute this to the many years these countries were under Communist control, with people just trying to survive. They have no idea what the expectations are from affluent Western travelers.

One of the appeals of cruising is the dining. This is the only cruise operation that we'd had mediocre dining. I feel it is due to the quality of the "hotel operator" that's hired. We loved the AMA ship, the itinerary and excursions were very interesting. But for any future river cruises, we will use Tauck or Uniworld. These are the firms recommended as best by my travel agent, who knows what we expect from a cruise, and by many knowledgeable cruisers.

To all of my new friends who are sailing next week on the AMAkatarina/Rostropovich ---

Enjoy the scenery

Have fun shopping

Be overwhelmed by the great art

Eat a blini

Enjoy the folk music

Have some vodka

Take lots of pictures

Make lots of new friends

and, if it comes to it....

make lemonade :D

Bon Voyage!

"Complaints of ill-prepared, low quality food have been a constant complaint of many AMA cruisers. Why this problem hasn't been/isn't fully addressed and rectified continues to be a puzzlement," says a recent poster.

We experienced the same issue on an AMA Tulip Time cruise several years ago. We ended up eating on shore in Holland and Belgium with another couple from the cruise, to avoid dinner on board; these were some of the best, most memorable meals in all our travels. However, after the cruise, I did post my impressions on CC boards and was thoroughly skewered for stating the facts: AMA food is at best akin to your school cafeteria (and at worst, appears MUCH worse.) Our complaints echo those on many posts I've seen consistently criticizing AMA dining.

AMA hires independent "hotel services" to run operations like food service, room maintenance on the boat. Our boat had an Eastern European crew with variable command of English, and appeared to be poorly trained as to service standards. I attribute this to the many years these countries were under Communist control, with people just trying to survive. They have no idea what the expectations are from affluent Western travelers.

One of the appeals of cruising is the dining. This is the only cruise operation that we'd had mediocre dining. I feel it is due to the quality of the "hotel operator" that's hired. We loved the AMA ship, the itinerary and excursions were very interesting. But for any future river cruises, we will use Tauck or Uniworld. These are the firms recommended as best by my travel agent, who knows what we expect from a cruise, and by many knowledgeable cruisers.

Perhaps AMA has listened to feedback regarding food quality and service in the few years since you travelled: on my two week cruise just finished on MS Amadante the food was of a consistently high standard, fresh, interesting and varied menus, and a really good range of choices, particularly for breakfast and lunch. Portion size was perfect: generous but not gluttonous. The standard was at good local restaurant standard- well above school cafeteria.

And service was excellent. Every waiter spoke reasonable to very good English. They were happy to make efforts to meet individual requests ( such as serving salad without dressing). The Maaitre D was present and circualating at every meal and quickly followed up on any requests or issues.

Some of the "incidental" food, such as the delicious sponge cakes and pastries served each afternoon , were just as good as those we sampled at cafes such as Gerbaud in Budapest. The only comments I could make was that on some occasions, some main course dishes were served a little cooler than I would like ( not cold though) and I would have liked a wider choice of vegetables. Bread varied in quality. Wine service was good: I appreciated being offered a taste before pouring from a new bottle as so many European wines have cork not Stelvin seals, although all were fresh and no corkage issues.

I agree that seeking out local food experiences is a great thing to add to a cruise, but did want to update your comments on food quality on board on AMA ship. Dining on board was one of the highlights for this self proclaimed foodie! As with any cruise, I guess a lot depends on the particular staff on your cruise. I wouldn't hesitate to book AMA based on my own experience this year.

We experienced the same issue on an AMA Tulip Time cruise several years ago. We ended up eating on shore in Holland and Belgium with another couple from the cruise, to avoid dinner on board....................

I have been on several AMA cruises over the past four years and liked all of them and I will cruise with AMA again - any time.

The food on each cruise was exceptional and comparable to high class restaurants found in Los Angeles where I live. We always had several appetizer, main-course and desert choices. The dishes were innovative, well prepared and beautifully presented.

I kept the menus from our cruises and attached two samples.

AMA's new brochure, which I just received, lists all European AMA ships as members of the "Chaine des Rotisseurs", the world's most prestigious culinary organization. Membership is highly selective and only the best top

restaurants will be accepted.

We are looking forward to another AMA cruise in 2012 !

1 AMD Welcomel Dinner 27.May.pdf

2 AMD Dinner 28.May.pdf

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for your good wishes!

Did you take a look at Waverly's AMA's Menus?? I doubt if that is what we will be served on the Katarina. From all the reports, I doubt if the Katarina will have a chef from the

Chaine des Rotisseurs. I will take photos of the food and maybe someone will tell me how to post them here. I love to take photos of wonderful food!!

Sheila

I think (perhaps naively) that things will improve. I do know that representatives from most lines "lurk" here - and I do believe they take the comments seriously.

If Kellie Poodle (and others) filled in the evaluation forms, then I think the group getting ready to travel may see a difference.

When we travelled with AMA on the Danube a couple of years ago, I commented on their evaluation form that a shuttle in Vienna would be nice. The downtown is quite a ways away from where the boats dock, and not everyone is comfortable enough (or able) to take the Metro back and forth. I believe AMA now does provide a shuttle between the boat and the downtown section.

I highly doubt that my single comment would have resulted in a change of that magnitude - but if it even helped them evaluate how they could improve the passenger's experience, then it was worth it.

I will be interested to hear how things have changed (if at all) on the AMAKaterina.

Sheila (and others...) - have a great trip. Looking forward to hearing about all experiences (good, and otherwise...) when you return.

Kellie has the right idea... If it becomes necessary - make lemonade. And - think of how good that lemonade will be if you add some Russian Vodka to it!! ;)

I think (perhaps naively) that things will improve. I do know that representatives from most lines "lurk" here - and I do believe they take the comments seriously.

I don't think things will improve (not trying to be negative but speaking of experience). I sailed in 2007 and we had the same problems and that ship was also hyped as the best ship in Russia and a luxury experience. I sailed in May and those who sailed later that year had the same problem. People who have sailed the past few years have also complained about the same problems.

I sent AMA a very detailed constructive letter and they didn't even both responding. Others have said the same thing. This is a company who simply doesn't care. I know several who have submitted very poor reviews in the past years and there are still many complaints this year.

The American Chef/Consultant is the same one we had in 2007. The food is controlled by Vodohod and I don't think they are changing, or at least they haven't in the last 5 years which makes me think they won't in the future.

Hi Kellie,

Thanks for your good wishes!

Did you take a look at Waverly's AMA's Menus?? I doubt if that is what we will be served on the Katarina. From all the reports, I doubt if the Katarina will have a chef from the

Chaine des Rotisseurs. I will take photos of the food and maybe someone will tell me how to post them here. I love to take photos of wonderful food!!

Sheila

The menus we had on Tolstoy were definitely different than what they served in Europe. I am sure that is still true. Ironically, the display of the food wasn't bad - except for the rat. They served a pear that was dressed like a rat and thought that was cute. Other things looked fine - for example - the hamburger looked like a hamburger but it tasted like meat loaf (they must have put filler into it which goes along with my theory about the quality of meat they bought).

The European menus looked great - though I have heard some very serious complaints about Europe and there was a thread about a chef being fired mid-cruise and the food improving on one cruise.

Bon Voyage to all those about to embark!

I filled out the comment form with extensive comments and suggestions, but haven't heard a thing.

Funny about that rat pear! They made that one night for dessert - I have a photo, but not sure how to post it.

I filled out the comment form with extensive comments and suggestions, but haven't heard a thing.

Funny about that rat pear! They made that one night for dessert - I have a photo, but not sure how to post it.

This confirms the food hasn't changed at all the past 5 years......

Here is the rat photo - I couldn't bring myself to even touch it. Looking back, it was probably one of the safer things to eat. I showed it to my Russian friends here in the states and they couldn't believe they served that to us. It was repulsive to them also (so it is not something that Russians find appealing either). Maybe 5 year olds???

100_0294.jpg.70452932b3322c42508f729ca0bcd83b.jpg

I saved my comment form and sent it to the main office directly along with a letter with the thinking that the comment forms may not actually reach the home office. I thought it was important that the main office needed to hear how things really were on the ship - I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't know what was going on in Russia. They did not even acknowledge my letter (most companies will at least send a letter back saying thank you for your letter we will look into things, etc...).

Archived