Weirdest thing that happened to you....

terjul

I was cruising on the lovely SS Norway back in 2001 and on the last night was awoken by a loud bang and the shuttering of the ship. Didn't think much of it until the alarms sounded. It was quite scary as there was no power and I was in an inside cabin. After standing at the lifeboat station for about an hour we found out that the ships boiler had exploded. The explosion caused a hole in the ship and started a fire. Thanksfully we where entering port with this happened and Dade County put out the fire. Well, to make a long story short we where sent off the ship into a large building and then later released. No customs or anything. Also no bags at all. I recieved them about 3 weeks later.

While going through the airport security after our cruise, in Puerto Rico, my DH put his military backpack through the scanner. Inside, he had a small, unopened bottle of banana ketchup that he purchased at a port, I believe it was St. Kitts or St. Lucia. He was so happy to buy it, and wrapped it carefully to take home so it wouldn't break.

The scanner picked up on it, and the security people were all over it. It was a bit over the 3 ounce limit, but it was unopened and obviously a souvineir from a gift shop. They told him he couldn't take it, he begged and pleaded. They consulted more security people. They examined it, they re-scanned it. He pleaded some more. We ended up with half a dozen securtity people hovering over it.

THey finally relented and let him go , the proud owner of one small unopened bottle of banana ketchup!

Bought a bottle last year in St.Lucia, I don't even like bananas, but this is good, plus It really did not taste like bananas to me I think that is why I like it, will be picking up a couple of bottles next month.

I was cruising on the lovely SS Norway back in 2001 and on the last night was awoken by a loud bang and the shuttering of the ship. Didn't think much of it until the alarms sounded. It was quite scary as there was no power and I was in an inside cabin. After standing at the lifeboat station for about an hour we found out that the ships boiler had exploded. The explosion caused a hole in the ship and started a fire. Thanksfully we where entering port with this happened and Dade County put out the fire. Well, to make a long story short we where sent off the ship into a large building and then later released. No customs or anything. Also no bags at all. I recieved them about 3 weeks later.

:eek:

Not sure if disembarkation is still handled this way, but while waiting to be called to get off the Valor we were given colored wristbands. Ours were white, so we were waiting to hear white called. My wife always tries to be helpful to others who haven't cruised before so when she was explaining to a group of first timers why they needed to wait and why we were in line to disembark since our color had been called it didn't come out right. She pleasantly explained to the group of African American women that we would be disembarking before them because we were white. Silence.

This one made me giggle! Purely innocent, but some could be completely offended. I've had those moments where once it's out I've had to replay the comment because everyone is either staring at me or laughing :-)

About two years ago, my friend, her husband and I were on the Sensation. We were taking the stairs to the Lido Deck and an eggplant mysteriously fell from the ceiling, rolled down a couple steps and landed at our feet. We all just stood there, staring at this eggplant, looking around, trying to figure out where it came from. We still have no clue, as it appeared to fall from the ceiling. There was no one around or on the stairs above us. No passengers, no servers, nothing. Just a falling eggplant.

I was wondering where my eggplant went. Please e-mail to arrange for the return of my wayward vegetable.

My one story is not terribly exciting. However, after debarking in Cozumel, a young man in a military uniform carrying an automatic rifle approached me and asked to see my backpack. Even though I had nothing in it but water and towels, I was still nervous. What had I done to arouse his suspicion? I told myself, don't make any sudden moves, keep your hands where he can see them, and for God's sake stay calm.

Turns out he just liked my backpack and wanted a closer look. He asked me how much I paid for it and where I bought it from. Apparently the packs they issue them are junk.

Cruising with a group of girls. We all got pretty tipsy & then stayed up till all hours gabbing in one of our cabins. Then we all decided to sneak up to the Lido for pizza in our jammies (tipsy, remember). It must have been around 3 AM.

When getting out of the elevator, we encountered a middle aged woman dressed to the nines, all sparkle & sequins from head to toe. She asked us for directions to the dining room. As nicely as possible my daughter told her that dinner had been over for a while.

She simply replied, "Oh, that's OK. I have late seating."

On our first cruise back in '07 on Conquest, one of the ports we went to was Cozumel. Right across the street from where Carnival used to dock there was this huge, white, 2 story building filled with souvenir shops. On the second story there was a walkway from one side of the building to another building that had more shops. Well in the middle of this walkway there was a bronze statue of a Mexican holding two pistols. The statue had a cactus on either side. Well being the first time cruiser, touristy person, I handed my wife our camera and ran over to the "statue" to have my picture taken. I got up to it and she was about to take the picture when all of a sudden one of the pistols was up against my head. I was in total shock and didn't know what to do. I looked up and it was a person painted in bronze holding two plastic pistols. Scared the stuff out of me.:eek: I mean, here I am in a foreign country for the first time and this happens. The guy started laughing, and once my shock wore off I laughed until tears were coming out of my eyes. Needless to say this guy got a big tip.

I absolutely LOVE Cozumel and look forward to it everytime we sail there. People there are some of the friendliest people I have met.

We were at the Port of Miami going on our very first cruise on the Paradise. My husband, looking like a typical first timer, had binoculars around his neck and was scanning the parking lot for our car. All of a sudden he started laughing. Apparently he was so excited about the cruise he had jumped out of our car and left his driver's side door wide open. We were afraid of a run down battery by the time we got back from the cruise so we had no choice but to get it closed. He ran down to the gangplank (pre 911) and told the security guards what he had done and they told him to make a run for it but the ship was fixing to sail "any minute". Being a newbie he didn't question the logic that it was still 2 hours before sailing time. He ran like a nutjob, then ran back and he was about to pass out. The security people were laughing at the joke they had pulled on him. He will never forget to close that door again!

Cruising with a group of girls. We all got pretty tipsy & then stayed up till all hours gabbing in one of our cabins. Then we all decided to sneak up to the Lido for pizza in our jammies (tipsy, remember). It must have been around 3 AM.

When getting out of the elevator, we encountered a middle aged woman dressed to the nines, all sparkle & sequins from head to toe. She asked us for directions to the dining room. As nicely as possible my daughter told her that dinner had been over for a while.

She simply replied, "Oh, that's OK. I have late seating."

This one cracked me up as well. We saw a lady sitting in the elevator eating an ice cream cone. The things you see besides the ocean! LOL

Not weird, but funny. This happened several years ago, sailing out of New Orleans. They were having a mardis gras party, we had left our beads in the room, which my wife asked me to back up and get. On the way down, just myself and a young lady in the elevator. She asked me for some beads which I gave her a few strands. She immediately raised her blouse and displayed her rather obvious asset, of which she was very proud and rightfully so. To this day I have not told my wife about this, I'm afraid I might have been one of those passengers that " accidently" fell overboard if she had found out that night.

I would have had a laugh on that one too. On our same trip, we met a woman who purchased several bottles of liquor in Mexico and she went around telling everyone that she was so excited to bring them home and was so worried something might happen. When we saw her again at the airport, she was haggeling with the folks at the ticket counter and she got so flustered, she dropped her booze bag and every bottle broke. She started crying. I felt so bad for her.

We bought about a dozen bottles of tequila in Mexico when we were down there, was worried about this happening, believe me. We spent the night before wrapping every bottle in clothing and bubble paper that the gift shop had on hand. Not one bottle broke. And we didn't mention all those bottles at customs, it slipped our minds. ;)

On our first cruise back in '07 on Conquest, one of the ports we went to was Cozumel. Right across the street from where Carnival used to dock there was this huge, white, 2 story building filled with souvenir shops. On the second story there was a walkway from one side of the building to another building that had more shops. Well in the middle of this walkway there was a bronze statue of a Mexican holding two pistols. The statue had a cactus on either side. Well being the first time cruiser, touristy person, I handed my wife our camera and ran over to the "statue" to have my picture taken. I got up to it and she was about to take the picture when all of a sudden one of the pistols was up against my head. I was in total shock and didn't know what to do. I looked up and it was a person painted in bronze holding two plastic pistols. Scared the stuff out of me.:eek: I mean, here I am in a foreign country for the first time and this happens. The guy started laughing, and once my shock wore off I laughed until tears were coming out of my eyes. Needless to say this guy got a big tip.

I absolutely LOVE Cozumel and look forward to it everytime we sail there. People there are some of the friendliest people I have met.

You are not the only one this guy fooled! On my honeymoon cruise in 2008, my husband and I had a little too much to drink in Cozumel. (Who am I kidding? We had ENTIRELY too much to drink!) On our way back to the ship, we came across this same bronze "statue." My husband decided he wanted to take a picture with him. I pulled out my camera and my husband, who was completely inebriated at this point, thought it would be funny to take a picture of him grabbing this bronze statue's...um, manhood. Needless to say, this statue jumped away before my husband was able to physically violate him. We all had a good laugh!

This thread is great! Lots of laughs!

Hi everyone,

On our last cruise, as we were disembarking into the terminal, my DH was 'detained' in secruity for over 2 hours. Apparently he has the same name as another person from England that was crusing on a different Carnival ship the week earlier and there was some type of issue with him, so they had to make sure that my DH wasn't the same person. It seems to me that they should have noticed this during the embarkation process instead. Eventually he was let go and they apologized to us and luckily we still made our flight home, but geez what a send off! :(

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced anything weird while cruising.

Cheers!

So on my cruise aboard the SS Norway, I am walking down the Promenade Deck and all of a sudden there is this crazy flash mob thing that appears out of nowhere! (Yes, I know, they weren’t really a big thing back then… so this group was on to something and ahead of it’s time).

This flash mob is made up of a bunch of Blue Hairs. They all have walkers (I think they all had tennis balls on the bottom…. Except for this one guy who seemed to be bucking the tennis ball trend and went with a set of wiffle balls). In a matter of minutes, the deck is full… the group is everywhere... the stench of Brill Cream and cigarettes was nauseating…. I made my way around to the front of the group… and realized they were all there for a bundt cake give away… I guess they weren’t trying to be trend setters… they just wanted to get them some cake!

What a cruise!

My first cruise, on the Westerdam - I cant remember which port we had just been to but we left that port on time. We had early dinner so we got ready and went to dinner. During dinner there was a lot of crew members and white uniforms running around causing everyone to notice something was up. I decided to get up and go over to see what they were looking at and they said the stairwell down below us was filling with water :eek: About the same time there was an announcement overhead that we were taking on water and we will miss Nassau we had to turn back to go back to the last port. Apparently the hull door got ripped off when we set sail, idk if they forgot to close it or what? I remember being so bummed about missing Nassau, lol - novice cruiser back then.

Not sure if disembarkation is still handled this way, but while waiting to be called to get off the Valor we were given colored wristbands. Ours were white, so we were waiting to hear white called. My wife always tries to be helpful to others who haven't cruised before so when she was explaining to a group of first timers why they needed to wait and why we were in line to disembark since our color had been called it didn't come out right. She pleasantly explained to the group of African American women that we would be disembarking before them because we were white. Silence.

Ohhhhh no...:eek:

Not weird, but funny. This happened several years ago, sailing out of New Orleans. They were having a mardis gras party, we had left our beads in the room, which my wife asked me to back up and get. On the way down, just myself and a young lady in the elevator. She asked me for some beads which I gave her a few strands. She immediately raised her blouse and displayed her rather obvious asset, of which she was very proud and rightfully so. To this day I have not told my wife about this, I'm afraid I might have been one of those passengers that " accidently" fell overboard if she had found out that night.

Now that's funny!:cool:

This didn't happen to me....we haven't had anything crazy/weird happen on our cruises. But a girl that works for me was on whatever Carnival ship that caught fire and lost power last year that had to be towed back to port. She had some interesting stories/pics from that! :)

My very first cruise I ever went on was a 7 night cruise out of port canaveral (where I used to live) my friend came over early that morning and we finished packing, having a good time joking around with my roommate and such. I had told all of my friends and family not to try and contact me for the next 7 days because I'd be on a cruise.

the second day of my cruise there was a family emergency, my cousin had passed away, and nobody could get a hold of me on my cell phone as it was shut off. (yes they had the contact information for royal carribean, knew the ship and everything) however everyone had simply forgotten i was on a cruise, my entire family, all of my friends and my roommate!

when I got off the boat i was detained by security because there was a missing persons report filed for me since i hadn't been home, nor was anyone able to get in contact with me. my cell phone was full with concerned messages from my friends and family. I don't know how they forgot, because I was so excited and talked about my first cruise non stop before I left to go on it. it's a funny story to tell still to this day!

You are not the only one this guy fooled! On my honeymoon cruise in 2008, my husband and I had a little too much to drink in Cozumel. (Who am I kidding? We had ENTIRELY too much to drink!) On our way back to the ship, we came across this same bronze "statue." My husband decided he wanted to take a picture with him. I pulled out my camera and my husband, who was completely inebriated at this point, thought it would be funny to take a picture of him grabbing this bronze statue's...um, manhood. Needless to say, this statue jumped away before my husband was able to physically violate him. We all had a good laugh!

This thread is great! Lots of laughs!

OMG this is my favorite so far!:p

So on my cruise aboard the SS Norway, I am walking down the Promenade Deck and all of a sudden there is this crazy flash mob thing that appears out of nowhere! (Yes, I know, they weren’t really a big thing back then… so this group was on to something and ahead of it’s time).

This flash mob is made up of a bunch of Blue Hairs. They all have walkers (I think they all had tennis balls on the bottom…. Except for this one guy who seemed to be bucking the tennis ball trend and went with a set of wiffle balls). In a matter of minutes, the deck is full… the group is everywhere... the stench of Brill Cream and cigarettes was nauseating…. I made my way around to the front of the group… and realized they were all there for a bundt cake give away… I guess they weren’t trying to be trend setters… they just wanted to get them some cake!

What a cruise!

This is hilarious! Reading other peoples stories, triggers so many memories. On our first cruise with Celebrity, they had the 'Honeymoon' show for the married couples. There was an older couple that married late in life and they were groping each other during the entire show and the audience was rolling. At one point he started dancing around her with his arms up and his teeth fell out. He picked them up, shoved them back in his mouth and continued to dance. That was worth the price of the cruise!

OMG, I LMAO in the office at this one....

On our last cruise on Carnival Dream we were in the dining room having a great dinner. All of a sudden, behind us, was this guy telling the next table to "SHUT YOUR HOLE".

A great row ensued... this guy was mad because the couple behind us was talking about this guy's sister who was dressed QUITE suggestively, and he didn't like it.

He was escorted out of the dining room and we all stood up and clapped as he left. The only drama I've ever seen on a cruise ship. Our server was in the kitchen when it happened and she came to us and asked us what was going on (she wanted the gossip)! Then she said he was an "Anytime Dining" person and they normally aren't in that dining room. Strange!

Archived