Any info. on the Holiday Inn Galveston - On The Beach?

cruisinqt

Has anyone stayed at the Holiday Inn Galveston - On The Beach?:confused: I found a website with some really good rates ($79 a night) and it offers free parking along with a free shuttle to and from the pier for cruisers. It's in the San Luis Resort area and is only 4 miles to the pier. Is this a nice safe area to stay in? Is the shuttle service reliable? Anyone who has stayed there or has any info. about the hotel or the area it's in, please help. This sounds like a good deal, but I want to make sure that it's a nice hotel in a nice area before I book it.;)

We stayed at hotel a few blocks west of the HI, but really wished we had chosen the Holiday Inn for its' ambience and the views. Sounds like you've found a great rate . . . . it might not be for an oceanview room . . . . you might want to call and ask for one a few days before you check in. The area is as nice as it gets on the seawall. Some have said that the HI shuttle gets over-booked, but a taxi is only about $12.00 to the pier.

http://www.holidayinnonthebeach.com/accom.html

Thanks for the info. PrairieGirl. I'm glad to hear that the HI is in a nice area. Some of the areas along the seawall are kind of dirty and don't look safe.:eek: It's hard to tell what type of area your hotel's in or what the hotel looks like when you're on the computer. And some of these websites make these hotels out to be much better than they really are. :rolleyes: That's why I always like to talk to someone who's been there and knows the area or hotel first hand. By the way, you said that the HI's shuttle gets over booked. How do I go about booking it? Can I do it ahead of time or do I have to wait until I arrive? We will be arriving by car, so I think my husband will go in early and drop off the luggage before they even allow passengers to arrive. Then he will go back to the hotel and the whole family can take the shuttle together without being saddled with a bunch of luggage. Or, if worse comes to worse, we'll take a taxi to the pier.:)

They'll probably want you to book the shuttle at check-in time. Your plan with the luggage sounds like a good idea! If you have kids with you, be sure to check out the "volcano" at night at the Rainforest Cafe nearby . . . . . its a light show that happens in the outdoor waterfalls on the half hour after dark . . . . . and its free! :D

Cruisin, would you mind sharing what site you found the HI for 79.00 and when are you cruising? Was this recently this was quoted? Thanks a bunch and happy sailing! By the way, I got Bestwestern Beachfront for 1 night, 5 people, free parking, no shuttle though, for 70.00! Thought this was pretty good, anybody know bout this hotel?:confused:

Hola Cruisin,

We stayed at the Holiday Inn last January. We found rates for $79 for a room without a view or $90 something with a view but I think that the rates varie with the season. It is a nice place, clean and with a friendly staff. When you check in you need to tell them that you would like the shuttle service and they will try to take you at the time that you choose. This was our third trip out of Galveston and if we ever sail from there again we will definately use this Hotel.

Hope this helps.

Clackey

Greetings from Galveston,

Holiday Inn on the Beach is a good hotel, with the beach just across the street.

It ajoins the San Luis and it's rooms are just as big.

The Best Western is a little further West, it's ok, probably not quite as nice as the HI. It is, however, next door to a large Kroger Food store if you need wine or last minute supplies. If you need a taste of gulf seafood, try Gaido's at 38th and Seawall. If you have the time, check out Moody Gardens.

http://www.moodygardens.com/rainforest-pyramid.html

We loved it and stayed there last August prior to sailing on the Elation. The pool area and swim up bar were great.....rain forest cafe next door and mexican restaurant within walking distance.....beach was dirty and didn't swim in ocean....just stayed by the pool for two day straight. Just what we needed to get into cruise mode. We had a room that overlooked the beach and pool...perfect. We had originally signed up for the shuttle and they said early on that they would take us anytime but when we checked in they only started the shuttle at 11 so we taxied over and were the first ones to board the ship!!!

You will be very happy staying here.

Jen

crusinqt..... Although we stayed at the Galvez, we used the Holiday Inn Shuttle to get from the ship, back to our Hotel after the cruise. (March 2005)

The Galvez shuttle was not there....and the HI shuttle offered to take us.

Anyway....... We were on the HI shuttle and we stopped @ HI first, to let off some HI passengers. In the HI parking lot (the driver brings you right to your car), we saw a cruise passenger's vehicle that had been broken into. The parking lot appeared to be open to whoever/whatever might come walking by.

The parking @ the Galvez was covered and coded.

But...yes, theft can occur even under secure conditions.

Just some thoughts....because you asked. :)

• 1 month later...

We stayed there last October - used our Priority Club points for one room and paid for the other, at a bit higher rate than was mentioned. - The rooms are great (try to get ocean view!!). You need to register for the cruise van when you check in. They had, if I remember, 3 departure times, like 11:30, 12:30 and 1:30. It was definitely free, other than the tips. Our group had so much luggage that the hotel manager drove the 5 of us in his personal car. It was a very easy way to go and return, although the return took awhile, as they, obviously, had to do several trips back and forth. The year before when we cruised out of Galveston we parked ourselves (brother dropped us off and parked the car) and it was much more stressful! I would definitely do the HI again!!

Great price you got for HI on the beach...we stayed in March. Parked the car in lot behind the hotel and everything was fine. Don't leave anything visible in the car.

when we checked in we signed up for the van and it was free...and a great convience. traffic was quite busy getting to the port.

van was right there to pick us up after cruise ...free again to take us to our car.

Room....ocean view was fab. room ...well it was typical holiday inn room, clean but hotel probably needs some maintenance.....beside some luxury properties and nice restaurants....Landry's etc.

:D WE have stayed at HarbourHouse 2x pre-cruise. It is small hotel. Very nice. It is located at next to the Strand area and Cruise Terminal.you can see the ship when it is in port. Be sure to ask for a room with that particular view. It is next to several resturants . I dont remeber the prices. But we parked at the hotel and then moved to the teminal. We would stay there again.

We have gone to Galveston for years, and HI is a nice property, and is in a safe part. We have stayed there several times. Like previous poster said, a great restaurant is Gaido's, wonderful seafood! Moody Gardens is also fun if you haven't been there before. Have a great trip!

Archived