ALaska cruise tour

OPSnorkeler

You will get more accurate responses, if you post the details of the tour.

However, in my opinion, NCL doesn't have the best Alaska itineraries. I have cruised with them to Alaska several times, and certainly would not be considering them, if you are looking at their add on Denali Park option.

Thank you for your response.

I was looking at their Denali Park add on and trying to make a comparison with the land tours that Princess offers. I know that Princess has their own lodges and NCL uses hotels. I'm not sure that I like the idea of going from Seattle on NCL. It seems that it would be better to go from Vancouver, but having never been in that area, I don't know for sure.

What is it about the Denal Land option that would steer you away from it?

We too are interested in the opinions of others. My DH and I are considering the cruise and Denali tour. My DH would rather cruise with NCL when it is possible. Thank you for any input from past cruisers...:)

Frankly, you are looking at the least scenic Alaska itineraries, you are FAR better off with a one way cruise in this case. NCL also has some poor port times.

I would suggest you head to your library and take out Alaska travel books, and find out what touring Alaska can offer you.

A big problem with this NCL Denali add on is the significant limitations you have with a "tour", plus the cost, in no way, would be anything I would consider. If of interest, you can get significantly more for your money. Depending on "why" you are going to Alaska, once you find out some more details, you may want to change your mind.

As an example, with a one way, you may have time in your Alaska port, which offers, significant sightseeing out of Whittier/Seward. The boat tours are WAY superior to anything your cruiseship sails for close up glacier viewing and wildlife. Most people do "expect" wildlife sightings. Fact is, many people don't see any or little. For a wildlife priority, your two best consistant areas are Kenai Fjords and Denali park. Be WELL informed on what touring Denali Park involves, most people are not and make some big mistakes with some cruisetour selections. It is all about getting INTO the park. Princess is a big offender of only including the worthless Natural History tour, does not get IN the park. The Tundra Wilderness is somewhat better, but at a limited distance and triple the costs of the shuttle buses. My min. recommendation is Eielson, if you truely want more, and especially if going after mid August, I would never consider anything less than Wonder Lake. The TWT has full buses, but do have a video camera for those who want little effort seeing wildlife. I still recommend having a good pair of binoculars anyway for Alaska, at least 10 power and wide angle.

My most important point, is- don't jump into any bookings, until you know what you are doing and have made your choice based on facts and what your priority is. Alaska requires, time- group point to point touring interior Alaska, is limiting, and most often has the highest "costs" in money and seeing the least. Be well aware of distances, what your activities of interest are, and if you have enough time to do them, along with the transportation. Budget 50% more for meals than you would at home.

Have fun with the planning, and if open, going independent, is darn simple and offers you the most, No wasted time and good opportunities to use some significant purchased coupon discounts.

IMHO I would do the interior as a seperate vacation from the southeast portion. I would look at using either Grey Lines or the AK RR tours. Grey Lines tend to be more bus oriented while the AKRR is more rail centric. Flying in and out of Anchorage is cheaper than Fairbanks - enough so that you can ride the train back to Anchorage and have change. Another alternative is to fly in and rent a car or RV and tour on your own. That way you can travel at your own pace. Visit travelalaska.com and order a tour guide to find other options.

IMHO I would do the interior as a seperate vacation from the southeast portion. I would look at using either Grey Lines or the AK RR tours. Grey Lines tend to be more bus oriented while the AKRR is more rail centric. Flying in and out of Anchorage is cheaper than Fairbanks - enough so that you can ride the train back to Anchorage and have change. Another alternative is to fly in and rent a car or RV and tour on your own. That way you can travel at your own pace. Visit travelalaska.com and order a tour guide to find other options.

I disagree, a one way cruise and interior Alaska travel works out extremely well and take advantage of on round trip airfare. It is done all the time with great success.

Archived