POM Parking with handicapped hanging card

BaseballMomof4

From the Port Authority website:

Tampa Port Authority follows the Florida State Statute, 316.1964, relating to handicap parking as such all customers are required to pay for parking unless their vehicle has modified foot or hand controls, wheelchair lift or ramp or has been issued a "Toll Exempt" sticker from the state of Florida. Vehicles utilizing our valet parking service do not receive any discounts.

Should your vehicle meet the above noted criteria and is the vehicle being parked you will need to advise the parking staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week prior to making payment for parking.

In FL it just has a registration number on it. No name, no DOB. Just wondering if they require extra documentation if it doesn't have a name on it.

In Florida you have a Parking placard registration that has your name and address, etc that matches the placard in the window. It is to keep in your wallet, and you best have it with you at all times.

Be very careful when parking. I had all my necessary documents and one morning at 7AM I was at the store and came out...even though my placard was in the window. I had a $250 ticket on my van....they said my right tire was over the line a couple of inches!!!:eek: Needless to say I fought that one...still had to pay the $25 just because they had already written the ticket out.

There are so many elderly and disabled here in Florida that they take this very serious....as they should!

From the Port Authority website:

Tampa Port Authority follows the Florida State Statute, 316.1964, relating to handicap parking as such all customers are required to pay for parking unless their vehicle has modified foot or hand controls, wheelchair lift or ramp or has been issued a "Toll Exempt" sticker from the state of Florida. Vehicles utilizing our valet parking service do not receive any discounts.

Should your vehicle meet the above noted criteria and is the vehicle being parked you will need to advise the parking staff on-site 24 hours a day, 7 days a week prior to making payment for parking.

I was told this same info when I called Port Everglades. Anyone with experience at this port? They told me just a handicapped plate or placard will not be accepted.

• 2 months later...

Per Port of Miami website here is what is needed.

For Disabled Persons

Disabled parking at PortMiami is free. However, in order to waive parking fees, appropriate documentation must be provided to the Toll Attendant upon exiting the parking facility.

Required documentation

State Issued Driver's License/I.D. Card or U.S. Passport

Original Parking Sales Receipt/Parking Ticket Stub (No Copies)

Authentic Disability Placard/Permanent Disability License Plate

Proof of Sailing (Sailing Card or Original Purchased Ticket Issued from the Cruise Line)

Letter/Card from Department of Motor Vehicles signifying to whom the Disability Placard is assigned (Applies to states that do not have a driver's license number on placard)

Edited by ready2cruzagain

I think you should take a better look at your tag.......there's more than just a registration number on it. Near the bottom there's a yellow sticker with the expiration date on it.

Look a little harder and you'll see your driver's license number in small print. The last time I parked at the port of miami, they asked to see my drivers license to match the number with the tag. ;)

You are correct.