Newbies

stocktonmackem

We are thinking of doing a cruise next year.As first timers it will be daunting enough but hubby is a full time wheelchair user so my question is to those of you who have done it before is how accessible is it for you. What would the best deck be and also how much room is in the cabins. We would be looking at a Balcony cabin possible on Ventura. Thanks in advance.

I am not a wheelchair user but P&O ships have some disabled cabins which is what you need. These have wider electrically operated doors and wheelchair accessible bathrooms and the cabins themselves are a little larger than the standard cabins with room to manoeuvre. The doors on a standard cabin are not wide enough for a wheelchair.

However these cabins tend to get booked up early so are difficult to get.

Brian

i can confirm the need to book early to make sure of securing a suitable cabin. my wife is a wheelchair user. there are between 20 to 30 suitable cabins, on the medium to large cruise ships. accessable doorways, wet rooms,level entry. balcony cabins have a built ramp each side of the balcony door. sometimes sliding sometimes opening outwards. aurora and ventura have sliding doors, arcadia regular opening door. the 3 p&o ships we have been on. just to stress the need to book early, we ALWAYS book as soon as possible. usually 18 months in advance. anything else, please ask. regards, mike:)

I am looking at a couple for Jun or July next year. I will have to ring them to see if they have any availability for then. Getting a bit worried now that they will be full. I was waiting for my daughter to return from Ventura yesterday because she was going to have a recci to make sure everything is suitable for Hubby. One thing i would like to know is do you know of anywhere that would rent out shower commodes as i wouldnt want to take ours with us.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Stocktonmackem. I am sure you will find answers to all your questions here. Cruising is a great holiday for those less able and all the modern ships can cope well with wheelchair users. Have a great time.

I believe the Red Cross have equipment for hire but as long as it is well labelled you should be able to take your own. I have seen all sorts of equipment brought on board with luggage.

sharon is correct, you can take your own stuff. my wife doesint like the shower seat on aurora. she takes her own free standing seat, wrapped and pando tagged. sharon, do you remember that lunch in southampton?

regards, mike:)

I do indeed - it was a lovely day. Hope you're both well.

Thanks for the useful hints. I booked the Azura yesterday for 2nd Sept. The first choice I had didnt have any accessible cabins. After panicking about not being able to go I got the last cabin on the Azura. I was told by TA that i would receive a questionaire from P and O which will ask what aids we will need. I will wait until i get this and then decide what I will do about taking our own. Problem is the space in car. Wheelchair and commode doesnt leave room for much else. Any other tips would be appreciated. Keep them coming. :)

Archived