Coffee Card on Caribbean Princess

bernnj

:confused: Can someone explain the Coffee Card on the CP? How much is this and where does one use it?

It is $30pp. You can use it for specialty coffee(Cappucino,expresso,etc.) and teas in the International Cafe and dining rooms. It gives you about 15 coffees or special teas. However it also gives you unlimited fresh brewed coffee which is essential if you like good coffee. You can get unlimited fresh coffee so long as you have at least one punch left on your card. They punch the card every time you order a specialty coffee.The regular coffee on Princess is made from a terrible coffee syrup. You can get hot coffee or frozed or iced coffee at the International Cafe. If you do not use all of your punches, you can save it and use it on your next cruise. My dog eared card has now been on three cruises and will go with me on my next cruise. I must have fresh coffee but don't drink a lot of specialty coffees.

Just to add to the above: you cannot use your coffee card with room service, nor can you get the unlimited, no punch needed fresh brewed in the diningroom.

It may be just our experience but we did get fresh brewed coffee in the anytime dining room on the Caribbean and on the Emerald Princess. We ate in the dining room on the same floor as the international cafe every night and had standing reservations. We got to know our wait staff very well and they went to get us good coffee every night. Of course, we gave them a good tip at the end of the cruise. My DH has a special diet so we got to know the dining room staff well and they were fantastic!

Thank you everyone for your comments. It appears that the Main Dining Room has fresh brewed coffee but you cannot get it anywhere else on the ship unless you have the coffee card. Is that info correct? Is the International Cafe the only place to use the coffee card?

I've recently started drinking decaf. Can anyone tell me if it just as tasty as the regular brewed coffee? Sometimes decaf can taste like cardboard and most unpleasant. I know it can be good, because I can brew it myself. If it is tasty, then the coffee card is for me.

Anyone???

I found the coffee in the dining room on the Caribbean Princess to be drinkable, it was the Horizon Court coffee that was unbelievably bad! Do they brew the coffee in the dining room? Karyn

Thank you everyone for your comments. It appears that the Main Dining Room has fresh brewed coffee but you cannot get it anywhere else on the ship unless you have the coffee card. Is that info correct? Is the International Cafe the only place to use the coffee card?

The coffee in the diningroom is exactly the same as the coffee in Horizon Ct., all made from syrup concentrate. And just because one of the other posters was able to obtain fresh brewed, is not the norm. The only time the servers are supposed to honor the coffee card in the diningroom is when you order something that requires a punch.

The coffee in the diningroom is exactly the same as the coffee in Horizon Ct., all made from syrup concentrate. And just because one of the other posters was able to obtain fresh brewed, is not the norm. The only time the servers are supposed to honor the coffee card in the diningroom is when you order something that requires a punch.

Pia is correct! When we have breakfast on sea days, we go to the dining room near the IC. On our way to the DR, we stop at the IC, pick up our fresh brewed coffee anf take into the DR. Voila!!! Breakfast w/fresh brewed coffee.

I am going to buy the coffee card on my next cruise. I enjoy specialty coffees and the fresh brewed. My husband only likes fresh brewed. Can I get a specialty coffee on the card, along with a fresh brewed for my dh or 2 cups of fresh brewed? I don't want to cheat the system but I can't see buying 2 coffee cards with one only being used for regular coffee. Any thoughts?

I am going to buy the coffee card on my next cruise. I enjoy specialty coffees and the fresh brewed. My husband only likes fresh brewed. Can I get a specialty coffee on the card, along with a fresh brewed for my dh or 2 cups of fresh brewed? I don't want to cheat the system but I can't see buying 2 coffee cards with one only being used for regular coffee. Any thoughts?

In the mornings I like freshed brew and Mr.Qt likes a Wet large Capp, I always order that and have only been one punched on all of our Princess cruises.

I have never asked for 2 cups of fresh brewed through.

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and some lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine. .

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, same as ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at the lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and some lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine. .

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, same as ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at the lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

Your prices are a bit off. Fresh brewed is now $1.25 or $1.75; Espresso is $1.75 or $2.50, but for that you get either single or double shot for same price. Hot chocolate has also been increased to $1.50 or $3.00.

Thank you for the replies. We are sailing in Oct. I will ask for 2 brewed when both of us just want coffee. I agree that the syrup based concoction is terrible. I am not a super picky coffee drinker (store brand at home) but the stuff they serve leaves the worst after taste that lasts all day....ick.

You can get fresh brew in HC, at the Atrium Bar, Wheelhouse, all DRs and probably some of the other bars FREE with the coffee card. You cans still get fresh brew at these places w/o the coffee card, but you will be charged.

You can get fresh brew in HC, at the Atrium Bar, Wheelhouse, all DRs and probably some of the other bars FREE with the coffee card. You cans still get fresh brew at these places w/o the coffee card, but you will be charged.

You cannot get fresh brewed in Horizon Ct. and when there is the IC, not at the Atrium bar. You also cannot get fresh brewed in the Wheelhouse unless they are doing the pub lunch. And the coffee there is probably the same old syrup. As for the diningroom ..........NO. No fresh brewed in the diningroom with the card. Specialty, yes. Fresh brewed, no.

LATE BREAKING NEWS. I just got off of the CB last Saturday. The coffee in the main dining room AND the Horizon or Caribe, was excellent! Last year it was undrinkable. This year I had 2 cups each time. I must admit that I did get a specialty coffee for breakfast and used the card from last year (which will go with me next year). But I had coffee in both the Horizon and MD, not fresh brewed, and it was great! I'm a very picky coffee drinker. I'm thinking that they either changed what they use, or modified the ratio of water to syrup.

Your prices are a bit off. Fresh brewed is now $1.25 or $1.75; Espresso is $1.75 or $2.50, but for that you get either single or double shot for same price. Hot chocolate has also been increased to $1.50 or $3.00.

Thanks.

Can't keep up with inflation!:p

I updated the "fresh brewed" price. I intentionally leave out "large size" orders. I expect coffee hounds are aware they exist.

Thanks.

Can't keep up with inflation!:p

I updated the "fresh brewed" price. I intentionally leave out "large size" orders. I expect coffee hounds are aware they exist.

If they were, they wouldn't continually ask whether they can get the large size for the same amount. :D

You cannot get fresh brewed in Horizon Ct. and when there is the IC, not at the Atrium bar. You also cannot get fresh brewed in the Wheelhouse unless they are doing the pub lunch. And the coffee there is probably the same old syrup. As for the diningroom ..........NO. No fresh brewed in the diningroom with the card. Specialty, yes. Fresh brewed, no.

Pia, I respectfully beg to differ. On the Sapphire in January, we did get fresh brew in the Wheelhouse and Explorers both. Also, we asked for fresh brewed in the Sante Fe DR & Pacific Moon at dinner and got it. In fact the waiter brought a whole carafe to the table and if you are coffee drinker, you KNOW the difference between fresh brew and syrup. It would take him awhile to return with it. Some suggested he may have gone out to the Atrium to get it. On both the Island Princess and Dawn we got fresh brew every morning in HC. Our server got it from the bar that was inside HC. Sometimes, if you ask, they will do these things for you. It never hurts to ask.

Archived