Wondering how staff feels about low paxs

Tanless

I am just wondering how the concierge, butler and room steward feel about weeks when they have only 1 couple in the garden villas. Even though they have a lot less work, they only get 1/3 the usual tips when the GV had 3 couples. I think in their shoes, I would prefer to see bigger groups and get the tips than have an easy week and a small payoff. Maybe it doesn't matter at all?

I am just wondering how the concierge, butler and room steward feel about weeks when they have only 1 couple in the garden villas. Even though they have a lot less work, they only get 1/3 the usual tips when the GV had 3 couples. I think in their shoes, I would prefer to see bigger groups and get the tips than have an easy week and a small payoff. Maybe it doesn't matter at all?

A ship with low passenger count would definitely affect those service workers. This is their income, even tips must be counted on. I'm sure they feel the pinch, just as we would if our hours were cut. or business was slow. They send money home to support their families, so I'm betting being busy means more money, and that makes for a happier crew!

The concierge & butler aren't included in the tip pool, so the number of passengers wouldn't impact them....the generosity of the passengers would.

The room steward would be affected, but probably to the tune of $10/day (more or less), and I'm sure the extra effort of cleaning such a large space is more burdensome than reward.

Who is to say that three couples are going to tip more than one couple that can afford to have the place to themselves? :confused: They may actually demand more of the butlers time and tip more or not. No guarantees no matter how many stay in the GV. :rolleyes:

Very few times will the Garden VIllas or other high end suites sail empty.

NCL will fill those rooms through upsells. NCL would rather have their lower level rooms (interiors, etc.) sail empty and have those people in the higher rooms and so will offer deals to get them filled.

It would be the room stewards of the lower catagory rooms who would feel the pinch from ships sailing below capacity.

Who is to say that three couples are going to tip more than one couple that can afford to have the place to themselves? :confused: They may actually demand more of the butlers time and tip more or not. No guarantees no matter how many stay in the GV. :rolleyes:

Good points. So it probably doesn't matter at all.

Does anyone know the approximate "full" sails? With at least 2 per cabin, not the full "full" number with each bed in each cabin full. I am hearing that the cruise industry has not been hurt as much as one would think in this economy, for whatever that means in real numbers or dollars. I know a lot of discounting is going on there, too.

But with upgrades and upsells, I wonder how many cabins go empty on most sailings.

Does anyone know the approximate "full" sails? With at least 2 per cabin' date=' not the full "full" number with each bed in each cabin full. I am hearing that the cruise industry has not been hurt as much as one would think in this economy, for whatever that means in real numbers or dollars. I know a lot of discounting is going on there, too.

But with upgrades and upsells, I wonder how many cabins go empty on most sailings.[/quote']

Most sailings the passenger capacity is reached or nearly reached. There are always a few empty rooms since once the ships capacity is reached they can no longer sell anymore staterooms.

What I really wonder about is how they feel after working their butts off for a large group and then receive either very little or nothing at all.

On another site I've read stories about large extended families who generally take over the CY and had many demands, who in the end left zero tips.

Another was a couple who occupied the Butler constantly and had most meals set up & delivered who left a sum of $10 for the week. $10. Can you believe that?

Another couple actually bragged to fellow passengers that they had their Butler running back and forth fulfilling requests, only to walk off the ship as early as possible so they didn't even have to come in contact with anyone after stiffing them on the tips.

One family had toddlers to teens monopolizing the CY and using the Butler as their own private waiter. When someone asked how much they had to leave in tips for that kind of service, they said "we paid more than enough for the cruise so we left nothing".

Now I'm sure that this isn't the 'norm' and most people do leave cash tips, but I wonder if most of the staff isn't at least a little happy when their guest count is sometimes smaller.

On the other hand, even one Suite can create a lot of work for the staff if they are demanding so it may even out in the end.

On our cruise, our Butler was always running from place to place. However he never failed to greet us or ask if he could do anything for us. We didn't ask for much, but the service we received was top notch.

Our next door Suite neighbors didn't think their Butler service was that great, as some Suite passengers next to them seemed to take up quite a bit of his time.

I wonder if our neighbors showed their displeasure through the tips they left (or didn't leave).

Twice I have had an AB for myself once was an upgrade free at the pier from an AC I always get suites now and I think the butlers know that tipping is a crap shoot unless they know the person I usually know my butlers they know what I like and they know I don't ask for much but tip well I know they work hard and I appreciate it. I have been on less than busy ships and my butler said sometimes he doesn't mind a less than full ship

Archived