Palermo Catacombs

Dick and Jane

If you could do a search of this board (it doesn't work at the moment) you would find I have posted quite a few comments recommending the Catacombs over the past few years. You can walk from the port into the main part of downtown Palermo, but the Catacombs are much too far for walking. When we went to the Catacombs we took a taxi from central Palermo (we had walked there to check-out the area) and after seeing the Catacombs we walked a couple of blocks to catch a local bus back to the center of town. My suggestion is to stop at the tourist office before you go to the Catacombs and ask for a bus map. Coming out of the Catacombs it is unlikely you would find a taxi unless you could get somebody to telephone for one.

Hank

I know it is possible to walk from the pier into the city of Palermo. What about the Catacombs? What is the recommended mode of transportation to visit the Catacombe dei Cappuccini (Piazza Cappuccini off Via Cappuccini near Palazzo Reale)?

Was just browsing the boards and saw your CC name...guess that's why it was "taken"! Nice to meet another Dick & Jane!

That's a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Dick and Jane

Walking pier- catacombs is obviously possible (just over 3 miles I'd guess) but getting the is fairly easy. I went to the Catacombs in July. If you do it yourself it is a 2 bus job to get there (but only 1 ticket as you will be within the 75 minute limit from when you first validate it)

As you leave the port area you will soon see a small information booth where you can pick up a map. Tell the assistant you want to go to the catacombs and he/she will mark the bus stops and numbers on it. From memory it was the 104 to start, and you get out at the Palazzio de Normanni. Can't remember what number the second bus is, but if it isn't there quickly you can walk there (3/4 mile) going down the utterly unremarkable Via Cappucini until you come to a small crossroads. Turn right into Via Pindermonte, and you will see the Catacombs in 20 yards

If you go straight on instead of turning right, Via Cappucini becomes Via Guiseppe Pitre and you've gone too far so stop and turn around !

Entry to the catacombs costs 3 Euros and it is open 9-12 and 3-7, No photography is permitted, which was a blow because I lie to make a YouTube video of everywhere I go on the whole cruise, but I understand it is a place for respect. It's a one-trick attraction but I was very glad I went, and the story is fascinating. Maximum half an hour needed in there. From leaving the ship reckon on an hour to get there. If you get lucky with the buses you could do it in 45 minutes, but time seeps away buying tickets from the tabacchi and locating the nearest bus stop.

Coming back I took that second bus back to the Palazzio and was going to get the 104 back to near the port but at the last minute decided to walk it, and I'm so glad I did as I went into the cathedral and saw a fair bit of intriguing architecture. And when I make the video I will find out what it was called and exactly what it was all about it :)

All the best

Tony

• 5 weeks later...

We made it to the catacombs. Your advice was quite useful. We decided to walk. You were right. It was about 3 miles, and it took us about an hour - arriving as it opened at 9:00 AM - just before all the buses showed up. We were able to meander our way through the streets stopping at various locations (Quattro Canti, the Cathedral) to examine the architecture and sites. We walked back too - taking a slightly different path as we knew if we zigzagged down and left we'd get back to the port. We also stopped at a little cafe for cappuccino and cannolis! The journey was well worth it.

We made it to the catacombs. Your advice was quite useful. We decided to walk. You were right. It was about 3 miles, and it took us about an hour - arriving as it opened at 9:00 AM - just before all the buses showed up. We were able to meander our way through the streets stopping at various locations (Quattro Canti, the Cathedral) to examine the architecture and sites. We walked back too - taking a slightly different path as we knew if we zigzagged down and left we'd get back to the port. We also stopped at a little cafe for cappuccino and cannolis! The journey was well worth it.

Happy to hear it is walkable. We are planning to take a private tour but walking to the catacombs was something I seriously considered. It looked like there are many interesting things to see along the way.

• 4 months later...

Can you tell me what the walk was like. Where there any other interesting sites along the route you took?

Thanks!

Archived