Verizon Phones

mlsully

We have Verizon cell phones and I will contact them before our cruise but on their websites, it says that you can use on some ships (including FOS which we are going on) as well as in the US Virgin Islands. I was wondering if anyone has used? I am thinking about texting each other on the ship (I have DD that's 13) so really hoping we could communicate by text. Also, would like to call home once from port if possible.

I've done quite a bit of research on this for our upcoming cruise as well. The ship will have its own cell phone tower, and if you are on the ship you will be using their tower at $2.49 per minute to talk. Texing on their tower is 50 cents to send each text, and 5 cents to receive each text.

They told me, if you are off the ship and in a port, make sure you're far enough away from the ship that you're not on their tower anymore. They suggested asking ship staff how far away that might be. I did see someone else mention on here that the ship is "supposed" to turn off their tower while in port, but doesn't sound like that's a given.

According to VZW's international roaming site, the roaming rate in the US Virgin Islands is $1.99 per minute to talk, but the texting would be the same as what is included in your normal package.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

I've done quite a bit of research on this for our upcoming cruise as well. The ship will have its own cell phone tower, and if you are on the ship you will be using their tower at $2.49 per minute to talk. Texing on their tower is 50 cents to send each text, and 5 cents to receive each text.

They told me, if you are off the ship and in a port, make sure you're far enough away from the ship that you're not on their tower anymore. They suggested asking ship staff how far away that might be. I did see someone else mention on here that the ship is "supposed" to turn off their tower while in port, but doesn't sound like that's a given.

According to VZW's international roaming site, the roaming rate in the US Virgin Islands is $1.99 per minute to talk, but the texting would be the same as what is included in your normal package.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

The ship's tower "should" be turned off when you are in port so that shouldn't be an issue but like everything thing else, stuff happens.

Just make sure that you add international dialing to your phone and you program your phone using *228 option 2 before you leave for your cruise. I-dial is free to activate but needs to be done if you want to make calls in the islands.

We do not get the international plan. We've made several calls from Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands on our Verizon phones and have never paid any extra charges that I can remember. You should update your phone monthly using *228, option 2 as that updates the roaming capability.

Archived