Patmos DIY or tour?

Pearl64

The Riviera stops in Patmos from 8 to 6 on a Thursday next May. We do want to see the places related to John. I have no idea where the ship will dock, if it is a tender port, and how far those places are from the dock. Is it possible to go there without a tour or does one need the transportation that a tour would provide? We are on quite a few tours for this cruise and we thought we could just wander around by ourselves. We do have a quote from Meander tours. I have not been able to find out much about this island as far as getting around. Any help will be appreciated.

Pearl

Patmos port is small (for 1 ship or 2 small ships)... if there are others cruise ships before your you will dock..

Dock or not, you will go at port where you will see a kiosk for taxi.. you can ask a tour.. this summer the price for Apocalypse Monastiri was 30 euro per taxi (1-4 persons per taxi, round trip)

The Riviera stops in Patmos from 8 to 6 on a Thursday next May. We do want to see the places related to John. I have no idea where the ship will dock, if it is a tender port, and how far those places are from the dock. Is it possible to go there without a tour or does one need the transportation that a tour would provide? We are on quite a few tours for this cruise and we thought we could just wander around by ourselves. We do have a quote from Meander tours. I have not been able to find out much about this island as far as getting around. Any help will be appreciated. Pearl

Anapli has offered some good insights. Patmos is a small port and the journey up that hill involves some distance and effort. A big unknown would be how many different ships will be in port that day. If things are busy, this port's limited number of cabs could be gone and/or busy. Don't know what your ship will offer in the way of tour. Such ship tour are not always the best, but they can help your logistics. Below are some of my pictures what is there on this historic and charming island.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,640 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Overlooking the harbor in Patmos with a large ship there, the surrounding hills, etc.:

PatmosHarbShip.jpg

Inside the church part of the Holy Monastery of St. John in the Eastern Orthodox tradition. It is part of a complex with a nice museum and art collection:

PatmosChurch.jpg

Above where you enter to see the famed cave of St. John, this art piece summarizes this history on the island of Patmos. The author of the Book of Revelation is sometimes referred to as John of Patmos.:

PatmosRelScene.jpg

On Patmos, here are more from inside the church with its ceiling and around the Holy Monastery of St. John. You will see some ceiling highlights, its courtyards, bells, art treasures, etc.:

PatMonst3.jpg

PatMonstCeiling.jpg

PatmMonst2.jpg

TLCOhio ... at your first picture is Perla boat and from exif informations I see this is at June 19th, 2006! I was in this cruise too!

That date in 2006 sounds about right, but we were on the Seabourn Spirit for our cruise, not the Peria. Close!! Nice port and area there. Glad to hear "it's a small world" and that our paths crossed.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Recently back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 36,640 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived